NATION

PASSWORD

Well, looks like Obama didn't go on a spending spree.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fal Dara in Shienar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fal Dara in Shienar » Sat May 26, 2012 5:42 pm

How is spending 3.5 trillion dollars a year not considered a spending spree?

"Oh, I didn't increase it quite as much as other Presidents!"

...And? 3.5 trillion is 3.5 trillion no matter how you cut it. Most of all, I love the implicit assumption in the argument that Bush was something other than a spending adict himself. You know your argument is on shaky ground when it rests on the premise that Bush was something other than a prolifgate spender.
Last edited by Fal Dara in Shienar on Sat May 26, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the great triumphs of the nineteenth century was to limit the connotation of the word "immoral" in such a way that, for practical purposes, only those were immoral who drank too much or made too copious love. Those who indulged in any or all of the other deadly sins could look down in righteous indignation on the lascivious and the gluttonous.... In the name of all lechers and boozers I most solemnly protest against the invidious distinction made to our prejudice.
—Aldous Huxley

Azakhia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azakhia » Sun May 27, 2012 3:44 am

Actually, it was congress that went on a spending spree. You know, those 535 folks with no balls, no cojones and no spines. The spending bills have to be approved and appropriated by congress.

Want to blame someone? Blame them.
It's not the voices inside my head that bother me so much as the voices I hear inside of your head.

Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!!!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun May 27, 2012 5:48 am

Gauthier wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:we had a thread on this

but its sad that we so try to block out our memory of the bush administration that we think that obama passed TARP and the auto bailout money in addition to the stimulus.

If people are clueless enough to elect the corporate serial killer in November, everyone will get a brutal refresher course on just what the Jar-Jar Administration did.

the thought if it gives me a little moment of panic.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun May 27, 2012 5:51 am

Fal Dara in Shienar wrote:How is spending 3.5 trillion dollars a year not considered a spending spree?

...And? 3.5 trillion is 3.5 trillion no matter how you cut it. Most of all, I love the implicit assumption in the argument that Bush was something other than a spending adict himself. You know your argument is on shaky ground when it rests on the premise that Bush was something other than a prolifgate spender.

its a big country.
whatever

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun May 27, 2012 5:56 am

I'm just gonna throw this down and walk away, while you lot all argue over George Bush and Barry Obama:

NyxNyke
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby NyxNyke » Sun May 27, 2012 6:05 am

While Bush was bad, this report erroneously credits him with spending he did not do, Obama authorized spending that even Bush declined to do. But as the amount was authorized under Bush it went in his column.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sun May 27, 2012 7:13 am

Fal Dara in Shienar wrote:How is spending 3.5 trillion dollars a year not considered a spending spree?

Well, he could have cut 1 trillion out of the economy, but even his opponent in the election knows that would be a bad idea in a recession.

NyxNyke wrote:While Bush was bad, this report erroneously credits him with spending he did not do, Obama authorized spending that even Bush declined to do. But as the amount was authorized under Bush it went in his column.

If it's authorized under Bush, it wasn't Obama's spending...

That's basic logic right there.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 am

Wamitoria wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:Presidents Bush (43) and Obama had two common problems, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

Are you seriously saying that Bush only ran huge deficits because of the two years the Dems were in control of congress during his tenure.

You can't just blame Bush for the massive spending that happened in his term. Congress was also to blame, regardless of which party was in power.

Same goes for Obama—it wasn't Obama who was responsible for the slowdown in spending, and many sources acknowledge this including PolitiFact and the Washington Post, the latter of which states directly that in their view the Republicans have been the primary reason for the stabilization of government spending and that if Obama had his way spending would have been ramped up to the degree Republicans claim it has been.

They even went so far as to give Nutting's claim three Pinocchios for that reason. It's not that spending has stabilized because of Obama, which was the general claim Nutting made.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun May 27, 2012 7:37 am

Don't inject facts into people's politics, it gets ugly.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sun May 27, 2012 7:45 am

Arkinesia wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Are you seriously saying that Bush only ran huge deficits because of the two years the Dems were in control of congress during his tenure.

You can't just blame Bush for the massive spending that happened in his term. Congress was also to blame, regardless of which party was in power.

Same goes for Obama—it wasn't Obama who was responsible for the slowdown in spending, and many sources acknowledge this including PolitiFact and the Washington Post, the latter of which states directly that in their view the Republicans have been the primary reason for the stabilization of government spending and that if Obama had his way spending would have been ramped up to the degree Republicans claim it has been.

They even went so far as to give Nutting's claim three Pinocchios for that reason. It's not that spending has stabilized because of Obama, which was the general claim Nutting made.

So Obama still, as if McCain, Romney, whatever Republican was in office Republicans would just be throwing away money on anything that caught their fancy. As Republicans only care about spending when they are not in charge.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sun May 27, 2012 7:47 am

Revolutopia wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:You can't just blame Bush for the massive spending that happened in his term. Congress was also to blame, regardless of which party was in power.

So Obama still, as if McCain, Romney, whatever Republican was in office Republicans would just be throwing away money on anything that caught their fancy. As Republicans only care about spending when they are not in charge.

I did not mention any hypothetical scenarios. I only discussed what is presently happening in the real world, not in an alternate history.

Calm the hell down.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sun May 27, 2012 7:51 am

Arkinesia wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:So Obama still, as if McCain, Romney, whatever Republican was in office Republicans would just be throwing away money on anything that caught their fancy. As Republicans only care about spending when they are not in charge.

I did not mention any hypothetical scenarios. I only discussed what is presently happening in the real world, not in an alternate history.

Calm the hell down.

And I saying in the real world, all evidence points to Republican opposition to spending only derives from there being a Democrat in office.

And calm down? I was unaware that I was shouting or freaking out by mentioning the reality of the situation.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Who is Tom Joad?

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Sun May 27, 2012 7:53 am

A Republican Empire State wrote:Our debt is still gigantic...keep trying...

This.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Ryanisking
Envoy

Founded: May 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryanisking » Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 am

He didnt spent because congress didn't let him and he certainly didn't help the debt
Left/Right 6.92 Linertariam/ Authoritarian - 3.40
male republican new jersey america eposicapalian pro gay anti abortion pro 2nd admentment anti 99% movement
Domestic Protest peace, man with a sign, Large group protest riot civil war
International conflict peace, Verbal warning, small conflict, large scale offensive, home defensive, all out invasion, occupation, nuclear crisis

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
A Republican Empire State wrote:Our debt is still gigantic...keep trying...

This.

A game moderator didn't even bother reading the rebuttals to a bullshit point?

Wow.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
If people are clueless enough to elect the corporate serial killer in November, everyone will get a brutal refresher course on just what the Jar-Jar Administration did.

the thought if it gives me a little moment of panic.

Point of order: any modern president would have passed TARP and the auto bailouts had he been in office at the time. Those were both middle-of-the-road political maneuvers.

As for Romney? I don't like him but I'll probably end up voting for him anyway. I'd just as soon vote for Obama if it meant we could get a legit conservative in the running for 2016, but his court nominees are just too ridiculous. If he wins re-election and another justice or two retires, the courts will be fucked for the rest of my natural life.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Parpolitic Citizens
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Parpolitic Citizens » Sun May 27, 2012 8:01 am

I honestly don't get your point. Do you really believe that we should have drastically cut federal spending during the greatest economic downfall since the great depression?
Damned commie
Economic Left/Right: -8.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Sun May 27, 2012 8:01 am

Divair wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:This.

A game moderator didn't even bother reading the rebuttals to a bullshit point?

Wow.

I think "Rebuttal" is an overly generous term for how that point was answered.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the thought if it gives me a little moment of panic.

Point of order: any modern president would have passed TARP and the auto bailouts had he been in office at the time. Those were both middle-of-the-road political maneuvers.

You mean similar to how any modern president would have equally passed the various spending bills that Obama passed?

Who is Tom Joad?

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Sun May 27, 2012 8:19 am

Revolutopia wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:Point of order: any modern president would have passed TARP and the auto bailouts had he been in office at the time. Those were both middle-of-the-road political maneuvers.

You mean similar to how any modern president would have equally passed the various spending bills that Obama passed?

Yup.

To be honest, I chuckle a bit when I hear conservatives rage about Obama. In 2008 I predicted he would be another business-as-usual president and I was right. My mother can't stand him, and while I'm not exactly a fan myself, I find it hilarious that Republicans suddenly "care" about spending.

Parpolitic Citizens
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Parpolitic Citizens » Sun May 27, 2012 8:21 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:

Yup.

To be honest, I chuckle a bit when I hear conservatives rage about Obama. In 2008 I predicted he would be another business-as-usual president and I was right. My mother can't stand him, and while I'm not exactly a fan myself, I find it hilarious that Republicans suddenly "care" about spending.

What about Obama don't you like?
Damned commie
Economic Left/Right: -8.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sun May 27, 2012 8:22 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:

Yup.

Okay, honestly I agree with your point fully (through as a Liberal not as a Conservative).

Who is Tom Joad?

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sun May 27, 2012 8:26 am

Revolutopia wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:I did not mention any hypothetical scenarios. I only discussed what is presently happening in the real world, not in an alternate history.

Calm the hell down.

And I saying in the real world, all evidence points to Republican opposition to spending only derives from there being a Democrat in office.

So? Obama still isn't the one responsible for stabilizing spending. The motivations don't change the reality.

Wirbel
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wirbel » Sun May 27, 2012 8:27 am

Paragade wrote:
A Republican Empire State wrote:
He hasn't reversed it. That's the problem.

You can't cut massive amounts of federal spending in a down economy, that would cause the economy to just slow down more, even Romney acknowledges this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/2 ... 45933.html

This is a capitalist economy. You need to cut spending to help it. Less taxes helps the capitalist economy.
Costa Fiero wrote:
Soviet Russia Republic wrote:Yes, they could. They'll likely not get seven years.

Nah, they'll probably end up in one of the gulags rehabilitation facilities in Siberia.

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:Don't RP that your naval strike force has just launched 1000 fighter jets, this is just pure shit.
Preferred Type of Gov't:
Insane Evil Fascist Tyranny

Religion:
Science
I roleplay Steampunk and Dieselpunk.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun May 27, 2012 8:29 am

Wirbel wrote:
Paragade wrote:
You can't cut massive amounts of federal spending in a down economy, that would cause the economy to just slow down more, even Romney acknowledges this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/2 ... 45933.html

This is a capitalist economy. You need to cut spending to help it. Less taxes helps the capitalist economy.

Just like when FDR saved the economy by cutting taxes and spending, right?

Oh.
Wait.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General