NATION

PASSWORD

Legalization of Polygamy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should polygamy (both polyandry and polygyny) be legal?

Yes, polygamy should be legal.
62%
No, polygamy should not be legal.
38%

Total votes : 100

IshCong
Senator

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:43 am

The Truth and Light wrote:
IshCong wrote:By your logic, it's unethical to let this beast exist at all, which is absurd.

Which is what I was getting at. Tell me why it's absurd, then?

Practicality.
"I think that Ish'Cong coming back is what actually killed Nations. Not the CAS ragequitting and the Axis being the Axis."
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:46 am

IshCong wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:Which is what I was getting at. Tell me why it's absurd, then?

Practicality.

It seems to me a situation where we'd have to pick the lesser of two evils. Marry and make drama, or don't marry and... don't enjoy the drama? Oh wait...

Free Buccaneers
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Buccaneers » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:47 am

Yes it should be legal, though i don't think having to live with two partners would be good for one's sanity.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:49 am

Free Buccaneers wrote:Yes it should be legal, though i don't think having to live with two partners would be good for one's sanity.

Well, considering that they did it in the first place...

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:50 am

IshCong wrote:
Practicality.

It seems to me a situation where we'd have to pick the lesser of two evils. Marry and make drama, or don't marry and... don't enjoy the drama? Oh wait...

You think removing marriage as an institution won't result in drama? :eyebrow:
"I think that Ish'Cong coming back is what actually killed Nations. Not the CAS ragequitting and the Axis being the Axis."
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:51 am

IshCong wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:It seems to me a situation where we'd have to pick the lesser of two evils. Marry and make drama, or don't marry and... don't enjoy the drama? Oh wait...

Children always whine when you take away their pacifier.

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:53 am

Free Buccaneers wrote:Yes it should be legal, though i don't think having to live with two partners would be good for one's sanity.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wom ... monogamous
It suggests we really aren't a monogamous species, despite societal indoctrination.
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 am

IshCong wrote:

Children always whine when you take away their pacifier.

Institutions that go back millenia are not 'pacifiers'. They're representative of the interaction between adult Humans, any off-spring they may have, and how they mutually handle the real world.
Despite the current failure rates of marriage, there's a reason the institution existed in the first place, as Humans began to develop societal patterning. They're a rather vital method of interaction.
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:56 am

IshCong wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:Children always whine when you take away their pacifier.

Institutions that go back millenia are not 'pacifiers'. They're representative of the interaction between adult Humans, any off-spring they may have, and how they mutually handle the real world.
Despite the current failure rates of marriage, there's a reason the institution existed in the first place, as Humans began to develop societal patterning. They're a rather vital method of interaction.

That reason being? Because I can have a great love life and even a family without marriage.

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:02 am

IshCong wrote:

That reason being? Because I can have a great love life and even a family without marriage.

If I remember correctly, this system was first implemented by the Romans for... easier taxation and successionship of property. I believe we can do better now, though.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:04 am

IshCong wrote:

The reason being a rather vital method of interaction, and producing and maturing young.
The anecdotal fallacy is still a thing, you know.
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:05 am

Tuthina wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:That reason being? Because I can have a great love life and even a family without marriage.

If I remember correctly, this system was first implemented by the Romans for... easier taxation and successionship of property. I believe we can do better now, though.

Marriage? No, it predates Roman times. Pretty sure it dates back to caves, but I'm hitting the hay shortly, so I'll go dig for that source when I awaken.

Sorta found it.
http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/003531.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage Wiki mentions: "Although the institution of marriage pre-dates reliable recorded history, many cultures have legends concerning the origins of marriage. The way in which a marriage is conducted and its rules and ramifications has changed over time, as has the institution itself, depending on the culture or demographic of the time."
It certainly predates Rome.
Last edited by IshCong on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 am

IshCong wrote:The reason being a rather vital method of interaction, and producing and maturing young.

I don't think it's vital. No, I think in Western culture we think it is, but in history marriage has been an economic union and nothing more. Nothing to do with interaction, since many partners would never speak face to face, and nothing to do with maturing young, since children could be given to consorts or governesses.
Last edited by The Truth and Light on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 am

IshCong wrote:

That's not the issue here, the issue is money.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

TableRase
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TableRase » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:08 am

Polygamy I can't say I fully support, because quite often one party might get neglected, and generally humans aren't too adept at dividing romantic feelings, and at a certain point of people involved it would cease to be a true romantic relationship. That said, if they're consenting adults, I have no problem with it legally.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and two term (non-consecutive) retired WA delegate of the Communist International League.
Economic Left/Right: -9.60
Social Authoritarian/Libertarian: -8.15

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:09 am

Tuthina wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:That reason being? Because I can have a great love life and even a family without marriage.

Women had little power politically or economically at the time and place. Marriage was how they elevated themselves, getting a bigger home and allowance. Now that the carreer has been invented, the Roman reason is moot.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:09 am

IshCong wrote:The reason being a rather vital method of interaction, and producing and maturing young.

I don't think it's vital. No, I think in Western culture we think it is, but in history marriage has been an economic union and nothing more. Nothing to do with interaction, since many partners would never speak face to face, and nothing to do with maturing young, since children could be given to consorts or governesses.

Your reference to "consorts and governesses" suggests that you think most people throughout history were members of the classes which had such things.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 am

Spiral Sun wrote:

That's not the issue here, the issue is money.

Obviously. Something about taxes.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:13 am

Bottle wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:I don't think it's vital. No, I think in Western culture we think it is, but in history marriage has been an economic union and nothing more. Nothing to do with interaction, since many partners would never speak face to face, and nothing to do with maturing young, since children could be given to consorts or governesses.

Your reference to "consorts and governesses" suggests that you think most people throughout history were members of the classes which had such things.

I don't think nuclear families are as universal as we'd like to think, regardless.

Kingdoms of Cal
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kingdoms of Cal » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:27 am

providing poligamy works both ways, not just men with multiple wives, I see no problem. Figuring out who's kids are who's would be tricky and the social structures would be complex if you have X husbands who have X wives who also have X husbands and so on.

Personally I would prefer if marrage was just a contract controlled by contract law and nothing special. But that's just me.
Warning thar be furries!

Talk to us and normalises things by setting up an embassy

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:28 am

the problem with the legalization of polygamy (outside of legitimizing the forced marriage of minor girls) is not matrimonial but legislative.

today we have the model of 2 people per marriage. that means they own everything together, are the sole parents of their children and if they split up they divide their assets 50/50. when they are divorced the marriage ceases to exist. (with the glitches of prenuptual agreements and stepchildren)

with polygamy--supposing that we will allow any number of men and women to marry in a group--the marriage exists outside of the willingness of one person to continue in it. it produces children who are not the children of every spouse. it makes the division of assets, child support, child custody, etc very complicated.

the point being that legalizing polygamy is not as easy as legalizing gay marriage.

the state has to decide whether or not to raise the minimum age of marriage so as to keep those creepy fundamentalist mormons from marrying off their 15 year old daughters to 80 year old men with no legal recourse.

the state has to decide whether or not to increase the number of legal parents a child has. if bob and mary have a baby but suzy spends 5 years as stay-at-home mom and primary caregiver should she have NO legal rights to that child?

the state has to decide a legal framework for one divorcing spouse to remove assets from an otherwise intact marriage. it has to decide whether or not everyone is married to everyone else--in mormon polygamy all the women are married to their husband not to each other, if he dies there is no more marriage. it has to decide if everyone has to agree when adding a new spouse. it has to decide whether or not each person is the locus of their own marriage -- bob, mary and sue are married to each other but sue is married to mary, bob and tom. tom is married to sue, frank, and george, on and on. (that would be a particularly bad idea)
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:36 am

TableRase wrote:Polygamy I can't say I fully support, because quite often one party might get neglected, and generally humans aren't too adept at dividing romantic feelings, and at a certain point of people involved it would cease to be a true romantic relationship. That said, if they're consenting adults, I have no problem with it legally.

consenting adults find themselves in bad marriages on a regular basis. they get divorced. as long as divorce is cheap and easy polygamy is no more a problem than monogamy.
whatever

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:38 am

Spiral Sun wrote:That's not the issue here, the issue is money.

Obviously. Something about taxes.

Not taxes so much as how the vast majority the American public would not want to be legally obligated to pay for that sort of lifestyle. Also would drain government and industrial coffers paying for all the spouses. Heck, a dozen people could all marry each other then later retire with twenty thousand dollars a month should they plan things right.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

Janlantis
Secretary

Founded: Apr 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Janlantis » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:38 am

There are quite a number of reasonable arguments for and against the legalization of polygamy, some of which have already been raised here. While certain cultural and historical evidence does support the idea that polygamy has often been a male-centric agenda which often "transformed" the wives into something to be collected, I also feel that with the 21st century comes a better understanding of jurisdictions as well as a more developed sense of equality between the sexes. I can't really vote for or against it as far as reasonable judgment is concerned (personally I'm not in favor of its implementation, though not necessarily hostile to the idea), but perhaps this issue can be better understood through a more research-oriented approach. I would propose conducting long-term studies on the psychological, economic, and social conditions of individuals within polygamous relationships to see whether there are any significant positive or negative repercussions. From there, maybe we can decide whether we should or shouldn't legalize it.

I am not aware of any such study, but I would be very interested if any of you happen to come across any. :)

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:55 am

Ashmoria wrote:the problem with the legalization of polygamy (outside of legitimizing the forced marriage of minor girls) is not matrimonial but legislative.

today we have the model of 2 people per marriage. that means they own everything together, are the sole parents of their children and if they split up they divide their assets 50/50. when they are divorced the marriage ceases to exist. (with the glitches of prenuptual agreements and stepchildren)

with polygamy--supposing that we will allow any number of men and women to marry in a group--the marriage exists outside of the willingness of one person to continue in it. it produces children who are not the children of every spouse. it makes the division of assets, child support, child custody, etc very complicated.

the point being that legalizing polygamy is not as easy as legalizing gay marriage.

the state has to decide whether or not to raise the minimum age of marriage so as to keep those creepy fundamentalist mormons from marrying off their 15 year old daughters to 80 year old men with no legal recourse.

the state has to decide whether or not to increase the number of legal parents a child has. if bob and mary have a baby but suzy spends 5 years as stay-at-home mom and primary caregiver should she have NO legal rights to that child?

the state has to decide a legal framework for one divorcing spouse to remove assets from an otherwise intact marriage. it has to decide whether or not everyone is married to everyone else--in mormon polygamy all the women are married to their husband not to each other, if he dies there is no more marriage. it has to decide if everyone has to agree when adding a new spouse. it has to decide whether or not each person is the locus of their own marriage -- bob, mary and sue are married to each other but sue is married to mary, bob and tom. tom is married to sue, frank, and george, on and on. (that would be a particularly bad idea)

I also had brought up that divorce would be a complicated mess in a thread I had started, about the pros and cons of polygamy here http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=174845
I had also wondered about common law marriages, in some states if a man and woman have been living together for 7yrs the state considers them married. So if a man has been living with 3 women for say 10yrs, can this be considered a polygamist marriage? And if so, shouldn't the state bear some of the responsibility, since they are the one that basically made the man a criminal?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General