NATION

PASSWORD

Is There a God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thisbia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Occupyland wrote:I converted to Norse religion a few years ago, it just made sense. May the blessings of Odin be upon you.

Seriously though, its statistically more likely that there isn't one, considering the sheer number of possibilities. But the real question is: "who the hell cares?"

It seems like billions care and the reasons I'm always given is
a. without religion you won't have morals
b. I don't even want to think about not having freewill
c. someone had to design all this

It also seems to explain those whose life sucks (or appeases the pain they have to go through)

and then there are the handful of people you don't even realize are making a fortune from it, and then a few out of these actually have some political clout
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72
_Factbook
_NSTracker
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

A wrongly accused man is always vilified by the ignorant masses. Such a man should fire at will, he is bound to hit something. - Anonymous

Occupyland
Secretary

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupyland » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Thisbia wrote:
Occupyland wrote:I converted to Norse religion a few years ago, it just made sense. May the blessings of Odin be upon you.

Seriously though, its statistically more likely that there isn't one, considering the sheer number of possibilities. But the real question is: "who the hell cares?"

It also seems to explain those whose life sucks (or appeases the pain they have to go through)

and then there are the handful of people you don't even realize are making a fortune from it, and then a few out of these actually have some political clout

What you've said is true for sure. My personal feeling is that if there is a god (which I view as a slim possibility at best), he/she/it is either apathetic about our existence or is working behind the scenes for us and possibly our immortal souls or what have you. In the first case, if he/she/it doesn't care about us, why should I care about said god? If the latter is true, then I figure as long as I live my life the best way I can, then said supernatural entity will understand and let me into heaven/paradise/Valhalla etc.

For the other possibility, in which a god exists and he/she/it is taking an active role, I can't believe that because its not readily apparent. The only evidence we have of that are from the numerous holy books, which were written by humans, and anything written by humans probably has an agenda of some kind and has to be taken with a grain of salt (several if you're smart). If a god is there, and does care so much, why aren't the skies opening up with a voice from the heavens going "hey, I'm real.". He/she/it could at least add us on facebook or shoot us a text, sheesh :P I know there are a myriad of explanations from various sources as to why that doesn't happen, but they all seem too convenient.

EDIT: grammar
Last edited by Occupyland on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -8.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.62

Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic-33%
Secular/Fundamentalist-77%
Visionary/Reactionary-60%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian-67%
Communistic/Capitalistic-60%
Pacifist/Militaristic-57%
Ecological/Anthropocentric-41%

Landmass Type: Archipelago
Government Type: Direct Democracy
Economic Policy: Quasi-Communist Resource Based (non monetary)
National Anthem: "Katyusha"
Official Language: None (English, in practice)
Total Land Area (Populated): 743,184 km2
National Pastime(s): Flag Burning, Political Debating, Occupying Wall St.
Time Period: 2022 CE (MT)

The owl on the flag was the emblem of ancient Athens, in case you were wondering. And yes, it loves to poop on cop cars.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:48 pm

neither debate nor belief, can force any invisible/nonphysical thing, to either exist or not exist. if there is there is. if there isn't there isn't.
its just not up to us, and THAT makes debating the question, if not the question itself, pointless.
Last edited by Cameroi on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Occupyland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupyland » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 pm

Cameroi wrote:neither debate nor belief, can force any invisible/nonphysical thing, to either exist or not exist. if there is there is. if there isn't there isn't.
its just not up to us, and THAT makes debating the question, if not the question itself, pointless.

Well said.

The owl on the flag was the emblem of ancient Athens, in case you were wondering. And yes, it loves to poop on cop cars.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:07 am

Cameroi wrote:neither debate nor belief, can force any invisible/nonphysical thing, to either exist or not exist. if there is there is. if there isn't there isn't.

Unfortunately, there are those who fear retribution from a displeased god, and feel compelled to 'save' or 'convert' others.

And then there are the vultures, the leaders of these religions who are atheist and love money. And so...

...the merry-go-round continues.

When I look at all the evidence, I believe in higher beings, which one day we will evolve into, living in different universes, which one day we will have transferred to all of them.

In no way, shape or form was there, is there or can there ever be a 'god' no matter what the definition. It is actually a defense mechanism for the weak. And the most spiritual moralistic and intelligent people I have ever known do not believe in one. Some of the most callous people I've known - do.
_Factbook
_NSTracker
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

A wrongly accused man is always vilified by the ignorant masses. Such a man should fire at will, he is bound to hit something. - Anonymous

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:43 am

Thisbia wrote:

Unfortunately, there are those who fear retribution from a displeased god, and feel compelled to 'save' or 'convert' others.

And then there are the vultures, the leaders of these religions who are atheist and love money. And so...

...the merry-go-round continues.

When I look at all the evidence, I believe in higher beings, which one day we will evolve into, living in different universes, which one day we will have transferred to all of them.

In no way, shape or form was there, is there or can there ever be a 'god' no matter what the definition. It is actually a defense mechanism for the weak. And the most spiritual moralistic and intelligent people I have ever known do not believe in one. Some of the most callous people I've known - do.

All the evidence? I don't suppose you'd be willing to go over it for us, would you? I would love to learn about these higher beings and different universes and all.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:52 am

I am just saying that after looking at what we do know, I still believe this. No proof, and I'm probably wrong, just saying. But there definitely is no god. That I can prove.
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 am

Thisbia wrote:I am just saying that after looking at what we do know, I still believe this. No proof, and I'm probably wrong, just saying. But there definitely is no god. That I can prove.

And I was asking what it was that led you to believe this. I agree about god.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Occupyland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupyland » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:56 am

Thisbia wrote:I am just saying that after looking at what we do know, I still believe this. No proof, and I'm probably wrong, just saying. But there definitely is no god. That I can prove.

You can prove that there's no god? That I'd love to see. (note: not sarcasm)

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:04 am

Occupyland wrote:

You can prove that there's no god? That I'd love to see. (note: not sarcasm)

It will take a while, cuz I have to 'reveal' certain things but it will be shorter than this thread. But I can only do one religion at a time.
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:06 am

Farnhamia wrote:

And I was asking what it was that led you to believe this. I agree about god.

It would take a while, but there are unexplained paranormal events that dictate to me that there is something of a spiritual matter going on and science does not disprove this. However, it can't validate anything either.
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:12 am

Thisbia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And I was asking what it was that led you to believe this. I agree about god.

It would take a while, but there are unexplained paranormal events that dictate to me that there is something of a spiritual matter going on and science does not disprove this. However, it can't validate anything either.

Ah, the paranormal. You know what happens when science gets around to investigating "paranormal" events? They become normal events.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:23 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Thisbia wrote:It would take a while, but there are unexplained paranormal events that dictate to me that there is something of a spiritual matter going on and science does not disprove this. However, it can't validate anything either.

Ah, the paranormal. You know what happens when science gets around to investigating "paranormal" events? They become normal events.

Then how do certain people have precognition?
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 am

Thisbia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Ah, the paranormal. You know what happens when science gets around to investigating "paranormal" events? They become normal events.

Then how do certain people have precognition?

Which people?

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 am

I personally know people who have precognition. They knew things they couldn't have known, before they happened, in detail. They dreamt it.
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 am

Thisbia wrote:I personally know people who have precognition. They knew things they couldn't have known, before they happened, in detail. They dreamt it.

Right, well, when these people are tested and it is verified that they do, indeed, dream about future events, get back to us. Until then I hope you'll forgive me for not taking your word for it.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Thisbia wrote:I personally know people who have precognition. They knew things they couldn't have known, before they happened, in detail. They dreamt it.

Right, well, when these people are tested and it is verified that they do, indeed, dream about future events, get back to us. Until then I hope you'll forgive me for not taking your word for it.

You don't need forgiveness, you have done nothing wrong. This is why I say believe and don't act like I know. If they were my own experiences I might tend to be more rigid about it.

To get back to the thread though, neither paranormal experience, nor results that seem to occur via prayer or spells, is proof of god.
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:44 am

Thisbia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Right, well, when these people are tested and it is verified that they do, indeed, dream about future events, get back to us. Until then I hope you'll forgive me for not taking your word for it.

You don't need forgiveness, you have done nothing wrong. This is why I say believe and don't act like I know. If they were my own experiences I might tend to be more rigid about it.

To get back to the thread though, neither paranormal experience, nor results that seem to occur via prayer or spells, is proof of god.

Proof of god? Quite right.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 am

And because all scripture is conflicting and based on a previous contrary belief system, no scripture is proof of a god either.
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 am

Salamanstrom wrote:1. everything on earth is fine tuned for living. if you change some of the chemicals in the air a little bit, alot of things would die quickly. there has to be a god so everything will work out well.

By this reasoning: There is no life on the Moon. Therefore, there is no god.
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:35 am

Thisbia wrote:

A. Bullshit.
B. Technically there is no freewill, but religion has no connection to that. It's to do with biology and chemistry.
C. Proof?

Gravatrax
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gravatrax » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:39 am

No
MT/PMT: The Gravitational Underverse of Gravatrax
FT: Interstellar Republic of Gravatrax
FanTech: The Epica of Gravatrax

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 am

Divair wrote:
Thisbia wrote:It seems like billions care and the reasons I'm always given is

A. Bullshit.
B. Technically there is no freewill, but religion has no connection to that. It's to do with biology and chemistry.
C. Proof?

Divair, I'm saying this is what makes people cling. Of course its all bull and there is no proof but this is what they think and say. So yeah, glad you agree. Now, the million dollar question:
How do we get them off the teat and into the lab?
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:39 am

Thisbia wrote:
Divair wrote:A. Bullshit.
C. Proof?

Divair, I'm saying this is what makes people cling. Of course its all bull and there is no proof but this is what they think and say. So yeah, glad you agree. Now, the million dollar question:

Seems like it is occurring naturally. % of atheists per generation is increasing rapidly.

Vortropolis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortropolis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 am

Divair wrote:
Thisbia wrote:Divair, I'm saying this is what makes people cling. Of course its all bull and there is no proof but this is what they think and say. So yeah, glad you agree. Now, the million dollar question:

Seems like it is occurring naturally. % of atheists per generation is increasing rapidly.

Actually I believe atheist numbers are not increasing or decreasing, and yes I have sources that I can give too you, but you'r probably gonna call them biased.
RP information: I don't use NS tracker unless asked too, I usually go with 5% of the population.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General