NATION

PASSWORD

Anglicanism vs Roman Catholicism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Drakeland
Secretary

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drakeland » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Drakeland wrote:I'm Roman Catholic, I would stay Roman Catholic. It makes sense to me, and I'm not part of a huge group of people who are "different from each-other" but are actually almost identical in beliefs and practices. Also, Angelicanism was just created because King Henry VIII was angry that the Catholic Church didn't want him to divorce and that he had to stop killing his wives.

The bold is questionable at best - there is a great deal of division in the RC Church, with some wanting to abolish priestly abstinence, be more liberal in their approach to birth control, and so on and so forth.

Anglicanism may have ultimately been born out of Henry VIII's reforms, but it was not until later that it truly became its own Church with truly differing beliefs - Henry VIII remained a Roman Catholic the rest of his life, believe it or not (as far as I know). ;)

I was refering to protestants in general, which Angelicanism is part of. Yes some protestant groups are widely different from the rest, but others are essentially the same until you start really looking hard for a reason. I know that there are divisions inside the RCC but you'll find that with just about any large group.

Yes, I know that it has grown to a better thing now, but frankly I feel that is one of the most petty (pettiest?) reasons to create a religion. They are a pretty cool group now, If the Brits are with it it can't be that bad, but I prefer Catholicism.
Last edited by Drakeland on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Roman Catholic, don you have a problem with that?
Ravineworld wrote:No belief is a mental illness in my eyes and respect for other's beliefs is just like respect for people of different races. It's just tolerant and kind.
Everyone: I'm a Christian, and I'm not with this guy

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm

If I were to choose, it'd be Anglicanism.

The massive Byzantinophile part of me also leans towards Greek Orthodox, but it'd never happen.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Drakeland wrote:I'm Roman Catholic, I would stay Roman Catholic. It makes sense to me, and I'm not part of a huge group of people who are "different from each-other" but are actually almost identical in beliefs and practices. Also, Angelicanism was just created because King Henry VIII was angry that the Catholic Church didn't want him to divorce and that he had to stop killing his wives.

Catholicism obviously being the One True Church right from the get-go. Yes...
Technically a Polanski.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:27 pm

I am a Catholic.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Gross Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gross Prussia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Zamiro wrote:
Matthew VonWindhelm wrote:I'm already Catholic, I don't think I'd like to change.
Malvinas Argentinas- Malvinas (aka "falklands") belong to Argentina.

Drakeland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Drakeland » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Yootwopia wrote:
Drakeland wrote:I'm Roman Catholic, I would stay Roman Catholic. It makes sense to me, and I'm not part of a huge group of people who are "different from each-other" but are actually almost identical in beliefs and practices. Also, Anglicanism was just created because King Henry VIII was angry that the Catholic Church didn't want him to divorce and that he had to stop killing his wives.

Catholicism obviously being the One True Church right from the get-go. Yes...

when did I claim that?
Christianity begins because they decide that Jews and Gentiles are essentially equal (I know that this is a giant abbreviation of the actual events.) Then a good while afterward people start infighting and having different ideas so the Great Schism happens, creating the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholic churches. Later Martin Luther wants reforms, and King Henry VIII wants sons, and thus people decide to split off from the Roman Catholic church and make their own versions of the religion.
Last edited by Drakeland on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravineworld wrote:No belief is a mental illness in my eyes and respect for other's beliefs is just like respect for people of different races. It's just tolerant and kind.

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Drakeland wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:Catholicism obviously being the One True Church right from the get-go. Yes...

when did I claim that?
Christianity begins because they decide that Jews and Gentiles are essentially equal (I know that this is a giant abreviation of the actual events.) Then a good while afterwards people start infighting and having different ideas so the Great Schism
happens, creating the Eastern Orthadox and the Roman Catholic churches. Later Martin Luther wants reforms, and King Henry VIII wants sons, ans thus people decide to split off from the Roman Catholic church and make their own versions of the religion.

Don't forget Luthur and the Protestant movement and the Reformation. I'm Catholic and a relatively devout one, but once again as long as it's the same God, who cares? Not to mention same Jesus.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:55 am

Bordurian wrote:
Drakeland wrote:when did I claim that?
Christianity begins because they decide that Jews and Gentiles are essentially equal (I know that this is a giant abreviation of the actual events.) Then a good while afterwards people start infighting and having different ideas so the Great Schism
happens, creating the Eastern Orthadox and the Roman Catholic churches. Later Martin Luther wants reforms, and King Henry VIII wants sons, ans thus people decide to split off from the Roman Catholic church and make their own versions of the religion.

Don't forget Luthur and the Protestant movement and the Reformation. I'm Catholic and a relatively devout one, but once again as long as it's the same God, who cares? Not to mention same Jesus.

The devil is in the details. Few consider Mormons Christian and they don't consider anyone since the first century to be Christians besides Mormons. Most major Christian denominations have grown closer in the major issues such as viewing corruption, though they keep seperate as people have their own personal tastes and it gives the feeling of choice. Where there is only one choice forced by the state, atheism is soon to follow.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

Drakeland
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Drakeland » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Bordurian wrote:
Drakeland wrote:when did I claim that?
Christianity begins because they decide that Jews and Gentiles are essentially equal (I know that this is a giant abbreviation of the actual events.) Then a good while afterward people start infighting and having different ideas so the Great Schism
happens, creating the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholic churches. Later Martin Luther wants reforms, and King Henry VIII wants sons, and thus people decide to split off from the Roman Catholic church and make their own versions of the religion.

I didn't for get them, I said "Later Martin Luther wants reforms,..., and thus people decide to split off from the Roman Catholic church and make their own versions of the religion.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Anglicanism, because it's more patriotic.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Drakeland wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:Catholicism obviously being the One True Church right from the get-go. Yes...

when did I claim that?
Christianity begins because they decide that Jews and Gentiles are essentially equal (I know that this is a giant abbreviation of the actual events.) Then a good while afterward people start infighting and having different ideas so the Great Schism happens, creating the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholic churches. Later Martin Luther wants reforms, and King Henry VIII wants sons, and thus people decide to split off from the Roman Catholic church and make their own versions of the religion.

There was a fairly long tradition of regional splitting from the Catholic Church before Luther. Other than a bit of luck, the distribution of printing presses in the HREGN and the recent 'martyrdom' of Jan Hus, I have no idea why his ideas stuck around any longer than anyone else's, to be honest.

This is also ignoring the Gnostics, Coptics, etc. etc.

History is not just western Europeans.
Technically a Polanski.

Pokemonman
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pokemonman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Anglicanism, because I agree with them on more stuff than Roman Catholicism. I think that Roman Catholicism is just fine though....
Friendship is magic!
http://justiceforjanedoe.com/

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 am

Can we specify which groups within Anglicanism we are counting? The English state church, the Anglican Church in Wales, the Episcopalians, those Evangelical Free Churches that broke off because they believe the Anglicans/Episcopalians are trying to be popular with non-Christians rather than actually keep Biblical beliefs.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General