NATION

PASSWORD

2012 MLB discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Qazox wrote:
Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:... I honestly can't believe you forgot the Angels.

Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana? I mean, yeah, I think I would take a stronger 3-man rotation for the playoffs, but you have to admit that's a pretty dang good starting four.

It's too bad Oakland split up their rotation. Cahill/Gonzalez/Anderson would've been a rough squad to face in a series.

The Angels' three isn't too bad either, but their 4-6's are worse than the 6 teams I listed.

This season is going to be a historic one. There's 4 teams in the AL that have a legit chance to win 100 games (Angels, Rangers, Yankees, Tigers), Rays will win 95, If the Red Sox stay healthy and recover from last September, that's another team that can win 95 games. In the NL The phillies will win 100 games again, while the NL Central in at worst a 3-way race and the NL West is a 3-team race as well. Wouldn't suprise me if we have multiple play-in games for playoff spots.

Ervin Santana has been a guy that, in a good year, can go out and win 17-18 games. He's been bitten by the Pitching Away Blues bug before, but he's got a stout Fastball/Slider combo. Can't forget that no-no he threw last year, too. ;)

Speaking of the A's, looks like Scott Sizemore's gone for the season.

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Qazox wrote:
Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:... I honestly can't believe you forgot the Angels.

Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana? I mean, yeah, I think I would take a stronger 3-man rotation for the playoffs, but you have to admit that's a pretty dang good starting four.

It's too bad Oakland split up their rotation. Cahill/Gonzalez/Anderson would've been a rough squad to face in a series.

The Angels' three isn't too bad either, but their 4-6's are worse than the 6 teams I listed.

This season is going to be a historic one. There's 4 teams in the AL that have a legit chance to win 100 games (Angels, Rangers, Yankees, Tigers), Rays will win 95, If the Red Sox stay healthy and recover from last September, that's another team that can win 95 games. In the NL The phillies will win 100 games again, while the NL Central in at worst a 3-way race and the NL West is a 3-team race as well. Wouldn't suprise me if we have multiple play-in games for playoff spots.

Last year's final days of the regular season set the bar pretty high, but this year is set up to be a good one.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Other than the NL East, after Memorial Day, I don't think any of the other divisions are gonna have a division lead bigger than 5 games.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Qazox wrote:Other than the NL East, after Memorial Day, I don't think any of the other divisions are gonna have a division lead bigger than 5 games.

AL Central. Tigers have Fielder, Cabrera and Verlander, where the other teams have... uh... yeah.

Gardenhire will make the Twinkies competitive, at least. It'll be interesting to see the Ozzie-less ChiSawx.

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Qazox wrote:Other than the NL East, after Memorial Day, I don't think any of the other divisions are gonna have a division lead bigger than 5 games.

AL Central. Tigers have Fielder, Cabrera and Verlander, where the other teams have... uh... yeah.

Gardenhire will make the Twinkies competitive, at least. It'll be interesting to see the Ozzie-less ChiSawx.

As a White Sox fan, I can say that it was time for him to go. I still love the man, but him and Kenny were just becoming too much of a distraction.

I'm a little skeptical about bringing in Ventura, but I'm glad they're keeping it in the family.

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:01 pm

*pops head in*

Phillies for 2012 champions! Who cares about the old Four Aces? I'd take Vance Worley over Roy Oswalt anyway.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:Detroit Tiger owner Mike Ilitch is my father's age - 83 - and his health is beginning to wane. When a man with a net worth of $1.7 billion dollars decides that he'd like to see his baseball team win the World Series before he dies, that's a wish that should be taken seriously.

There are no salary caps in Major Leagues Baseball; Ilitch can open his wallet and drop a few hundred million for the sake of giving the City of Detroit - which has been so very good to him over all these years - one final gift before he passes away; and if, in the process, he gives himself a little pleasure, who can begrudge him?

I can't guarantee that Ilitch will be able to buy himself a World Series. But the feeling here outside the Motor City is that he's about to try. To be sure, an owner's willingness to pay whatever it takes to secure the talent required to win is what sportswriters call an "intangible".

But in my mind, it's one Hell of an intangible.

EDIT: Besides, God seems to give Detroit a series victory whenever things are so bad that life would be unbearable without something for the city to cheer about (in 1968, right after the awful riots of 1967; in 1984, after the dreadful recession on 1980-81). Given what the city has been through - and what it's about to go through at the hands of a State-appointed Emergency Financial Manager, it's time.

Oh, yeah: And it always seems to happen in an election year.

....The city's been good to Ilitch?

More like Ilitch has been good to the city. But this is coming from a Metro Detroiter, so I'm not fully immersed into the 'Detroit experience'.

Ilitch practically owns a quarter of the city. He fixed up Fox Theatre, he owns Little Ceasars, the Wings, the Tigers, would've probably purchased the Lions long ago if NFL regulations actually allowed it (they don't), etc. Ilitch is a hero to some of us. I could only think of where the Pistons would be if he had purchased them.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Somehow the AL Central was deleted from my post before I posted it, but yeah the AL Central title should be locked up by the 4th of July.
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 am

Qazox wrote:

Somehow the AL Central was deleted from my post before I posted it, but yeah the AL Central title should be locked up by the 4th of July.

4th of July? No, 4th of May! :lol2:
Champions, 53rd Baptism of Fire

Ryan12
Envoy

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryan12 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:37 am

im saying a national league team because the nl's pitching is ridiculously insane

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Welsh Cowboy wrote:
4th of July? No, 4th of May! :lol2:

No, May 4th is when the Pirates and Royals are eliminated from the playoffs. Common mistake :p
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Lost Earth
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Earth » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 pm

I personally think the Tigers are looking pretty incredible for this season. Just look at that batting line up. I would be scared out of my mind to pitch to that.
The Republic of Lost Earth
Population: 3.022 Billion
Check out our fact book on our nation's page!
Government:
Executive
King Jonathan II (elected)
Chancellor Woofen
Vice Chancellor Squrile
Judicary
World Judge Von Clar
Council of Vice Judges (7 members)
Legislative
King Jonathan II (elected)
Assembly of Commons (60 elected members)
Military:
Defense: $8,723,179,917,152.61

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Besides Cabrera and Fielder, the line-up's not that scary without Victor Martinez. But which one of those two are you going to pitch around?
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Cabrera. Only because there's fewer holes in his swing. Even when the Tigers didn't have support for Cabrera in the lineup, he was still batting pretty well.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:11 am

Looks like MLB might be going to a 10-team playoff system, with 2 wildcards from each league along with the 3 division winners. A year too late for the BoSox and Braves, but whatever.

I wonder how they're going to handle such a system. ESPN's talking heads have mentioned a 1-game playoff between wild card teams, then the "traditional" playoff system, but I don't really get how that would add any value to the playoff system. I would vote for the having each league's win leaders get a bye from the Wild Card round, but that sets up an awkward situation where the playoffs are extended into November and the best team of each league has to sit on their hands for the same amount of time.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:23 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Looks like MLB might be going to a 10-team playoff system, with 2 wildcards from each league along with the 3 division winners. A year too late for the BoSox and Braves, but whatever.

I wonder how they're going to handle such a system. ESPN's talking heads have mentioned a 1-game playoff between wild card teams, then the "traditional" playoff system, but I don't really get how that would add any value to the playoff system. I would vote for the having each league's win leaders get a bye from the Wild Card round, but that sets up an awkward situation where the playoffs are extended into November and the best team of each league has to sit on their hands for the same amount of time.

The regular season ends on Wed. Oct 3rd. The Wildcard games will both be on Friday the 5th, while the #2 v #3 Series both begin on Saturday the 6th. The #1 v WC series begins on Sunday the 7th. There will no longer be an extra off day for the #1 seed so the LDS' will be done by (at the latest) Friday the 12th. The LCS will likely start on Monday the 14th/Tues the 15th and be done by the 22nd (at the lateest). the WS will begin on the 24th and finish no later than Nov 1st.

I sorta kinda like the idea, especially since they are getting rid of the ridiculous no-divisional LDS' rule. The #1 team will face the wild card, even if they are from the same division.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:31 am

Still think it was BULLSHIT of MLB not to award the All-Star Game to Boston to help celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. Though i can understand why not, seeing as Boston hosted the ASG in 1999, and KC hadn't hosted it since 1973. But if MLB gives the Cubs the ASG in 2014..(the 100th anniversary of Wrigley Field) expect some major back-lash.

BTW here's the bidders for the next 3 ASG's:

2013: Mets and Nationals (Nats more likely as NYC hosted it in 2008, and DC hasn't hosted one since 1969)
2014: Twins (Cubs possibly) Twins haven't hosted since 1985, Cubs since 1990. (Twins will likely get this one)
2015: Marlins and Nats (if they don't get the 2013 one): If the Nats get the 2013 one, then the Marlins (who've never hosted one) will get this one in a walk.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Bacopa
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bacopa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm against expanding the playoffs, it's just another excuse to increase television contract values. It won't be long before they want to expand the playoffs again
agile - mobile - hostile

SkillCrossbones
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 30, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby SkillCrossbones » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:07 pm

At first I was against the playoff expansion, but now I'm ok with it. Except for the fact that the season is like a month away! Seriously, it took them this long to figure it out? If I were commish, I would hold off until next season considering how close we are to the regular season.

As for the Tigers lineup, ok, they can hit alright. But that defense is going to be lousy.
The Noblest Motive Is the Public Good

The contents of this post may not be reproduced or disseminated without the express written consent of the office of the President of SkillCrossbones

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Bacopa wrote:I'm against expanding the playoffs, it's just another excuse to increase television contract values. It won't be long before they want to expand the playoffs again

The way it is now, though, you could have a wildcard team knockout a division winner in the first round.

I understand that this new format isn't really going to change that, but still, it could be a step in that direction. Thinking about it, I'd rather keep each league's "Best Record" team from having to play in a 5-game series. It provides a little extra incentive for top-tier teams to win more games, and it makes the playoffs deeper - it's more of a challenge for a wild card team to beat the best team in their league in 7 games, rather than 5.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Two things:

1) The "other" Sizemore (I mentioned Scott earlier; now it's Grady) is going to be out for a while due to surgery on his back. From what I remember, he's has back, ankle and knee injuries flare up over the last few years. I'm sort of disappointed that it's been an issue for him, because he's one of the true big talents of the game when healthy.

Plus, I think he was on my fantasy baseball roster from last year, and I'm in a Dynasty league. Grar.

2) The MLB network is going to be airing a spring training game (olololol, right?) next Wednesday featuring players mic'd up live (ololol... owait, that's somewhat interesting). Yes, it's Spring Training, so it's not going to be terribly exciting... unless there's an incident a la Rays v. Yankees a couple of years ago, IIRC, where a Rays player spiked Robinson Cano sliding into 2nd.

So... yeah.

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Two things:
2) The MLB network is going to be airing a spring training game (olololol, right?) next Wednesday featuring players mic'd up live (ololol... owait, that's somewhat interesting). Yes, it's Spring Training, so it's not going to be terribly exciting... unless there's an incident a la Rays v. Yankees a couple of years ago, IIRC, where a Rays player spiked Robinson Cano sliding into 2nd.

So... yeah.

That's interesting, although I'm sure the players will convert the talk into PG...

Also, not only is it spring training, it's on MLB Network. Thats the most uninfluential or consequential game ever. :p

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

30 Blurbs on 30 teams

Postby Qazox » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 am

At least this time next year the WBC (the real one not the NSSports version, which just finished its 21st tourney the other day) will be starting.

I have my predictions earlier on the thread but here's my un-biased opinion on all 30 teams:

#30- Astros: Haven't seen a team crash so fast since the '98 Marlins. Can you name 3 players on this team, without looking it up elsewhere??? Exactly.

#29- Mets: If Santana, and everyone else come back healthy, then the Mets might be a .500 team. If not, they'll suck again.

#28- Athletics: Basically Houston in the AL this year. I can't think of anyone on the team besides Coco Crisp (still the best name in baseball) and Dallas Braden. If their pitching holdsup, might be a contender.

#27- Royals: Too young right now. If they can keep this team together for a change, 2013 will be a good year for them.

#26- Mariners: There's talent here, but there's no cohesion with this team. They could contend, but I just don't know how the M's will get past the Angels or Rangers.

#25- Pirates: That blown call v. the Braves at the end of July really screwed the Bucs in the head for the rest of the season. A good young team, that if things go bad for the Cards, Reds and Brewers, we might see a suprise.

#24- Cubs: Pitching staff's not that good, and in MLB now, you need to have good pitching, and they don't really have it.

#23- White Sox: Ozzie's gone and it's a rebuilding year. They'll be good for a couple of months, then drop like a stone.

#22- Twins: Only reason why they're this low is Mauer and Morneau. If they're healthy, add at least 10-12 more wins (and bump them up 8 spots). If not... they'll just be an annoying team to play in September.

#21- Padres: Still rebuilding. Have adequate pitching but no oomph on offense.

#20- Jays: They can't ride Baustista forever, right? He'll come back to earth this year, and so will the Jays, as unfortunately for them, they're still in the AL East.

#19- Orioles: They're getting there. Much like the Rays in 2005/06, they just need to get experience and maybe 1 big free agent to finally get them back in contention.

#18- Nationals: One year away. If Harper comes up in June and they're 10 or so games above .500; then the Nats will be in the WC chase until the final week. If Strasbourg is healthy, the pitching staff's not too bad.

#17- Dodgers: Way too much transition with new ownership pending to really do much of anything. Next year though.. they'll be back.

#16- Brewers: Yes he might be "technically cleared", but the PED cloud will ruin Braun and the Brewers this year.

#15- Rockies: If they weren't in the NL West.. they'd probably be lower. Decent enough pitching, good hitting team, but there's something missing here. Another arm or a big bat added to the Rockies would make them dangerous.

#14- Diamondbacks: Overachieved last year. Still a good team, but expect some slippage here.

#13- Red Sox: As stated before, after Lester and Beckett... who's the #3? Bobby V's a no-nonsense coach and that'll rub some of the vets on teh team the wrong way, and it will cost the Red Sox at least 5 games this year.

#12- Cardinals: Losing Pujols will hurt. But the pitching is good enough and there's still enough hitting on this team. But losing two HoFers is going to hurt.

#11- Indians: If the Tigers start piling up the injuries.. the Tribe will be there to take the division from them. If this team was playing last year, they've made the playoffs. Just not their year this year.

#10- Reds: Last year's decline was mostly due to injuries. A healthier Reds team will be just like the 2010 team, but with a slightly better offense.

#9- Braves: Practically the same team as last year. Pitching might be a smidge better that last years. Just don't overwork the pen like lst year.

#8- Marlins: Enough young talent and good pitching. Throw in Ozzie as the lightning rod for the players, and a new stadium is always good for 5-7 more wins.

#7- Giants: If they only had more offense then I'd say this team would be a favorite to win the Series. But then again, in 2010 they won it with about the same amount of offense.

#6- Rays: Unless the injury bug strikes hard, they'll easily be contenders and will make the playoffs.

#5- Rangers: If Darvish pans out the way that the Rangers want, we could be looking at a 3rd straight WS appearance here. But unfortunately they play in the AL.

#4- Yankees: Same ol' same ol'. What else is there to say?

#3- Angels: Top 5 pitching staff and potentially one of the better offenses in baseball. Another championship isn't out of the question.

#2- Tigers: Pitching: check. Offense: Check. Can they win in the playoffs: Probably. If Verlander goes down, then this team's in trouble.

#1- Phillies: Just hoping they don't turn into the 1990's Atlanta Braves. Of all the teams in the top 10, they might psychologically need to win a Series the most.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 pm

so has anyone been to a spring training game this year? if so, who'd you see play?
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Qazox wrote:so has anyone been to a spring training game this year? if so, who'd you see play?

Nope... Don't even attempt to watch spring training.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General