NATION

PASSWORD

Language/Language Learning

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I am...

Monolingual
24%
Bilingual
33%
Trilingual
24%
Quadlingual
7%
Pentlingual+
12%

Total votes : 173

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:43 am

Kirrig wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
No nouns? Oh dear.

trollface.jpg

School, work and a few jobs are all nouns. The old and the young are also nouns.

And they double as adjectives. Clever.

But I reckon we'd need to be able to ask for food, water, and warmth, too :)

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Kirrig
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:49 am

YellowApple wrote:
Kirrig wrote:
School, work and a few jobs are all nouns. The old and the young are also nouns.

And they double as adjectives. Clever.

But I reckon we'd need to be able to ask for food, water, and warmth, too :)

Welfare always has alternative means of communication.
Daistallia 2104 wrote:Kirrig, since you seem to be unable to take hints, allow me make it explicitly clear - you are being ignored.

"Have you ever noticed... our caps... they have skulls on them..."
"Hans... are we the baddies?"
Milks Empire wrote:
Kirrig wrote:Do you guys know if George Bush is on NSG?
Wouldn't surprise me.

Rohrmoser
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rohrmoser » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:17 pm

I know three languages, well....two I know perfectly (English and Spanish) and I am currently working on French.

Personally, I was kinda already born with two languages. I'm half american half spanish, so I grew up learning these two languages simultaneously. I was raised in latin america, never really grew up in the US, so i didn't have the american high school experience, and don't know much about how the school systems there work.

I currently live in Costa Rica, central america ( I grew up here), and in Costa Rica, English, more so than french, are very important in schooling and are necessary for certain jobs (some jobs require you to speak fluent English, others require both English and French.)

There has been a recent need for people to learn at least three languages (English, French, Mandarin, German, Portuguese). I bet that it must be similar in the US.

Should we give kids more oppertunity to learn langauges that are growing in importance, but are not readily available?

Yes. Perhaps the government should encourage students to do so. In costa rica, students start learning English during preschool and kindergarten, then by middle school start another language (Portuguese or French). Im not sure how it is in the us.
Languages: English y Español!
Call me whatever you want, as long as it doesn't offend me! (Rohr and Nata are accepted)
Get to know me!! I don't bite at all.

Okay! think that's it. :'( I know, creativity 0, but I'll make it better when I get to it (any help is welcomed)

Erdoseg
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Erdoseg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:32 am

I love to learn languages, but not fluently. I like to learn the basics of as many languages as I can, so I can say basic words and phrases in around 20-30 languages.

I am in Chinese II (I am better at speaking then writing), and Spanish II. My dad is German, and so I picked up German around the house. I am going to be learning Hungarian soon.

Alekoslav
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alekoslav » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Russian is my native and I speak English fluently and planning to learn Spanish (since it's very common in the state I live in) and I'm also really interested in learning German
Delegate of WA representing the region Kleo 1/23/12 - Resigned 03/09/12 (served 44 days)

Beach Cup VI: eliminated RO16

ANSF Fighter: Alex Pavlinsky (6-3-0)

NSBO Fighter: Alik Kozlov (1-1 (3-5 total fights))

1 - Nuclear Destruction
2 -On-Going War
3 -Deploying Forces/Put on Alert
4 - Military Awareness
  • 5 - At Peace

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." - John F. Kennedy

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander The Great

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm

In high school I learned Latin and French, and later I picked up Greek and Hebrew.

Greek is useful for medicine and some science. French is still the language of diplomacy, so if you want a career in foreign relations I recommend it.

Latin is helpful for appreciating the underling logic of all Romance languages.

The one I most want to learn is German but I have difficulty getting into it. Each language has its own internal "music", and I guess I prefer Debussey to Wagner.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:15 pm

I don't speak zombie.

I also don't allow them TO speak.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General