NATION

PASSWORD

Herman Cain drops out of presidential race

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Raleigh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raleigh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:46 am

Ashmoria wrote:

did you feel while reading that article that krugman wasnt telling you anything you didnt already know?

I think the majority of the population has an unstated understanding of the GOP primaries right now.
puppet of UD

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:47 am

Raleigh wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:did you feel while reading that article that krugman wasnt telling you anything you didnt already know?

I think the majority of the population has an unstated understanding of the GOP primaries right now.

One would think so, and yet millions of them are going to vote for one or the other of the candidates in the primaries and in the general election.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:49 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:did you feel while reading that article that krugman wasnt telling you anything you didnt already know?

I suppose. Still, it needs saying and he said it concisely.

for sure

it needed someone with credentials to rub it in the faces of the republican party.
whatever

Raleigh
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Raleigh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Raleigh wrote:I think the majority of the population has an unstated understanding of the GOP primaries right now.

One would think so, and yet millions of them are going to vote for one or the other of the candidates in the primaries and in the general election.

Well anyone who isn't caught up in the primaries can see that it is all rather premature and silly.
puppet of UD

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:52 am

Raleigh wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:One would think so, and yet millions of them are going to vote for one or the other of the candidates in the primaries and in the general election.

Well anyone who isn't caught up in the primaries can see that it is all rather premature and silly.

How's it premature?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Raleigh
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Raleigh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:53 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Raleigh wrote:Well anyone who isn't caught up in the primaries can see that it is all rather premature and silly.

How's it premature?

mumble mumble....

Ok I guess I'm speaking from a month or two back.
puppet of UD

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:54 am

Raleigh wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:How's it premature?

mumble mumble....

That's okay, we all have these ... lapses. I slept through much of the 9th century BCE.

Raleigh
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Raleigh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Raleigh wrote:mumble mumble....

That's okay, we all have these ... lapses. I slept through much of the 9th century BCE.

I still feel like we're all aware of this cycle that the not-Romneys seem to be following.
puppet of UD

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:11 am

Raleigh wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That's okay, we all have these ... lapses. I slept through much of the 9th century BCE.

I still feel like we're all aware of this cycle that the not-Romneys seem to be following.

we are but it seems that the repubican base isnt really aware of how awful all the candidates are or, more importantly, WHY there are only sucky candidates.
whatever

Raleigh
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Raleigh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Raleigh wrote:I still feel like we're all aware of this cycle that the not-Romneys seem to be following.

we are but it seems that the repubican base isnt really aware of how awful all the candidates are or, more importantly, WHY there are only sucky candidates.

Well I imagine the republicans who were aware probably jumped ship.
puppet of UD

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Raleigh wrote:I still feel like we're all aware of this cycle that the not-Romneys seem to be following.

That, I think, is because the reason is them. Who else but the base is forcing all the candidates so far right they can't even see Barry Goldwater from where they are? Who else but the base is so crazy that candidates with a lick of sense wouldn't touch this election with a ten-foot pole?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 am

Raleigh wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:we are but it seems that the repubican base isnt really aware of how awful all the candidates are or, more importantly, WHY there are only sucky candidates.

Well I imagine the republicans who were aware probably jumped ship.

Or are hiding, or are holding their noses and praying that someone not insane decides to run.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:45 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Raleigh wrote:Well I imagine the republicans who were aware probably jumped ship.

Or are hiding, or are holding their noses and praying that someone not insane decides to run.

I consider myself one of those Republicans. I voted for Obama in 08. I'll vote for him again in 2012 if he's up against anyone but Huntsman (who I'll vote for in the primary, if he's still in the race by that point, which is unlikely).

We (meaning moderate Republicans) have to realize that only by being truly and utterly humiliated will the Party abandon its suicidal dive to the right. God knows trying to support moderate positions within the Party hasn't been working. Here's to an Obama landslide...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 am

Serrland wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Or are hiding, or are holding their noses and praying that someone not insane decides to run.

I consider myself one of those Republicans. I voted for Obama in 08. I'll vote for him again in 2012 if he's up against anyone but Huntsman (who I'll vote for in the primary, if he's still in the race by that point, which is unlikely).

We (meaning moderate Republicans) have to realize that only by being truly and utterly humiliated will the Party abandon its suicidal dive to the right. God knows trying to support moderate positions within the Party hasn't been working. Here's to an Obama landslide...

I don't know if a crushing defeat will help. Look at what happened in 2006, when the GOP lost the House in the mid-terms, the party moved to the right. In 2008, when they lost the House and the Senate? Again, to the right. The Republican Party seems capable of moving in one direction only, to the right, in victory and defeat. You and your fellow moderates might want to think long and hard about continuing your loyalties to such a party.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Serrland wrote:

I don't know if a crushing defeat will help. Look at what happened in 2006, when the GOP lost the House in the mid-terms, the party moved to the right. In 2008, when they lost the House and the Senate? Again, to the right. The Republican Party seems capable of moving in one direction only, to the right, in victory and defeat. You and your fellow moderates might want to think long and hard about continuing your loyalties to such a party.

There are still those within the Party that represent my interests. Lincoln Chafee, Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, etc.

I'm hoping something happens akin to what happened after the years of FDR domination (and Truman): the Republicans decided they'd best find someone who didn't try to stoke up controversy and appeal to the fringes (Eisenhower). Same as in 1964 - the GOP saw that Goldwater and his raging rightism was going nowhere and hopped back on the much more moderate Nixon wagon.

I'm cautiously optimistic that, given another smackdown in 2012, the Party will do something similar again. That being said, stooges like Boehner and John Kyl (senate minority whip, not the most prestigious position, but all the same...) need to get the boot. I at least have some respect for McConnell, but he seems to be constantly hamstrung by Boehner's inability to control his party in the House.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 am

Serrland wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I don't know if a crushing defeat will help. Look at what happened in 2006, when the GOP lost the House in the mid-terms, the party moved to the right. In 2008, when they lost the House and the Senate? Again, to the right. The Republican Party seems capable of moving in one direction only, to the right, in victory and defeat. You and your fellow moderates might want to think long and hard about continuing your loyalties to such a party.

There are still those within the Party that represent my interests. Lincoln Chafee, Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, etc.

I'm hoping something happens akin to what happened after the years of FDR domination (and Truman): the Republicans decided they'd best find someone who didn't try to stoke up controversy and appeal to the fringes (Eisenhower). Same as in 1964 - the GOP saw that Goldwater and his raging rightism was going nowhere and hopped back on the much more moderate Nixon wagon.

I'm cautiously optimistic that, given another smackdown in 2012, the Party will do something similar again. That being said, stooges like Boehner and John Kyl (senate minority whip, not the most prestigious position, but all the same...) need to get the boot. I at least have some respect for McConnell, but he seems to be constantly hamstrung by Boehner's inability to control his party in the House.

If I were you, I'd pitch McConnell, too. He was on the "Make Obama fail" train at the station in January of 2009.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Antizionistia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:For a "STRICT CONSTITUTIONALIST" he sure seems to hate the 1st, 14th, and 16th amendments, and openly wants to repeal the 17th.

proof right now, i want to see explicit evidence of this, otherwise what you have stated is just another negative generalization of his views , and not to be taken seriously

Then proof you shall have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_the_Peo ... People_Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_le ... egislation
Both of those weaken the 1st and 14th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legislation_sponsored_by_Ron_Paul#Borders_and_immigration wrote:Birthright citizenship: H.J.Res. 46, 2007-06-13, originally H.J.Res. 46, 2005-04-28. Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to deny United States citizenship to individuals born in the United States to parents who are neither United States citizens nor persons who owe permanent allegiance to the United States.

Also weakens the 14th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... esentation
Public call for the repeal of the 17th.

Are we done here?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Raleigh wrote:Well I imagine the republicans who were aware probably jumped ship.

I wonder if that's still possible?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Whairtia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Whairtia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Didn't Michel whatever say his 999 plan was a devil code? anyways if so that is funny, I said that before her and it is funny when these scandles came out, if he is innocent then I feel sorry in some way.
What it is like to step foot on Whairtian soil

If anyone is willing to make me a flag (Because I need one :|) Telegram me :)

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Antizionistia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Then proof you shall have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_the_Peo ... People_Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_le ... egislation
Both of those weaken the 1st and 14th.

Also weakens the 14th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... esentation
Public call for the repeal of the 17th.

Are we done here?

Not in the slightest, wikipidia does not count , try again, weve been over this ;)

Seing as how it links to the official text of the bills in question on the government's own websites, the problem is yours, not mine. Until you address reality, this is the last time I will be speaking to you.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

New Heathera
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Heathera » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:24 pm

I think a third party is going to win eventually. General support for democrats and Republicans alike seems to steadily be going down. The people are tired of the same two parties every time.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Or are hiding, or are holding their noses and praying that someone not insane decides to run.

Filing deadlines for a lot of states have passed, and write-in campaigns seldom fare well.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Filing deadlines for a lot of states have passed, and write-in campaigns seldom fare well.

I know the Florida deadline has passed. Not sure about the others.

Yeah, I guess this could only happen if one candidate got a huge lead in primaries and then like died.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General