NATION

PASSWORD

What do you think of Ron Paul?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soufrika
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Soufrika » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Were I a Republican, Paul would have my vote. I'm a little wary of his minimal-market-interference position, but that's all about him that bugs me. He'd make a better Presidential candidate than all the other Republican nominees IMHO.
Libertarian Agnostic
NIHIL VERUM EST, LICET OMNIA

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Turok wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Because the states have the habit of choosing to ban it outright, maybe?

So some states choosing to ban it, while others choose to accept it is a far worse solution than one unilateral decision that applies to all 50 states?

It leaves the choice up to each individual, which ought to be the default position for anyone who professes to favor liberty.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Turok
Secretary

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Turok » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Turok wrote:
So some states choosing to ban it, while others choose to accept it is a far worse solution than one unilateral decision that applies to all 50 states?

It leaves the choice up to each individual, which ought to be the default position for anyone who professes to favor liberty.

If only it was that easy.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Yootwopia wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:The state Supreme Court that is.

Meh just keep on truckin with it until it gets into the Federal courts if at all possible. If this is not possible, obviously going to Congress and having a rapechild right in the chamber to maybe shame them into doing something would be an option.

Paul wants to remove appeal of state laws to the US Supreme Court. He also seems to think Roe v. Wade is something that can be "repealed" and wants a federal definition of life as beginning at conception.

ie, State's Rights, providing the states' laws can do without Roe v. Wade and only need a slight rewrite of the murders statutes in each state.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Turok
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Turok » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:19 pm

What do you all think of his idea of a "flat tax"?

I forgot what debate he mentioned that in.
Last edited by Turok on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Turok wrote:What do you all think of his idea of a "flat tax" across the board set at 1%?

Wait, what? That's... that's an idiotic idea. We literally could not function on 1%.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Turok
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Turok » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Turok wrote:What do you all think of his idea of a "flat tax" across the board set at 1%?

Wait, what? That's... that's an idiotic idea. We literally could not function on 1%.

Forgot the 0, it's supposed to be 10%, and gets you out of subsidized government entities. (SS, medicare, etc...)

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Turok wrote:

Forgot the 0, it's supposed to be 10%, and gets you out of subsidized government entities. (SS, medicare, etc...)

That's still a bad idea, too low. Although, a flat tax rate for everybody, regardless of income, is something we should strive for, if at all possible.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Moral Libertarians
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Moral Libertarians » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:24 pm

While he makes a refreshing alternative to the corporate cronies and rabid conservatives that make up the other candidates on both sides, I disagree with quite a few of his positions.

Plus, if elected, his efforts at reform would be resisted by the establishment.
Free market is best market.
Political Compass
I support Anarcho-Capitalism
Terra Agora wrote:A state, no matter how small, is not liberty. Taxes are not liberty, government courts are not liberty, government police are not liberty. Anarchy is liberty and anarchy is order.
Occupied Deutschland: [Government] is arbitrary. It draws a line in the sand wherever it wants, and if one crosses it, one gets punished. The only difference is where the line is.
Staenwald: meh tax evasion is understandable in some cases. I don't want some filthy politician grabbing my money for something I don't use.
Volnotova: Corporations... cannot exist without a state.
The moment statism is wiped off the face of this planet it is impossible for any corporation to continue its existance.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Turok wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:ok, now keep thinking. suppose this rape victim lives in a state where such an abortion is illegal. her rights have been denied. she is less free than if the federal government forced the state to allow her abortion.

that's how.

And what if the Fed outlawed it altogether, alternatively?

they neither will nor could. and if they did, the rape victim's rights would be exactly as violated. so the most important thing obviously must be a defense of her rights, not an attempt to allow her rights to be violated.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Turok wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:It leaves the choice up to each individual, which ought to be the default position for anyone who professes to favor liberty.

If only it was that easy.

It is.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:45 pm

I think he's a nut that has no business having any kind of political power. I wouldn't trust him to run a town council.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:48 pm

My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:50 pm

South Asia Minor wrote:Leaving issues to the states is not Libertarianism. It's federal Libertarianism, but it isn't Libertarianism, given that his policies are facility for authoritarianism in the more socially conservative states.

Thank you.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Hellenic Protectorates wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:he's an authoritarian racist who buys a lot of strange conspiracy theories. or at least an authoritarian who let undeniable bigots and conspiracy-mongers ghostwrite for him for years and who just so happens to oppose the civil rights act and has weird notions about economics. in other words, he's a bog-standard member of the radical right.

Is that code for "libertarian"?

I would love to see a source for this baseless assumption, please.

One authoritarian eample here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_the_Peo ... People_Act

Xenohumanity wrote:

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Honorable Citizens wrote:Some of his positions are crazy and don't make sense, such as dealing with Iran. I don't agree with him at all, but I still respect him because he doesn't change his positions that much.

Why is refusal to admit you are wrong when presented with significant evidence an admirable thing?

Xenohumanity wrote:

Drobak
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Drobak » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Ron Paul is the man. Ron Paul 2012.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Western cuba wrote:I'm Democrat but if a Republican was to take over the Presidency I would be most comfortable with Ron Paul.

Good grief, WHY? The man's policies are antithetical to a large number of things the democratic party has spent decades achieving.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Chrislamic Libertarians wrote:Ron Paul believes that marriage is a civil matter and that government should not interfere in marriage be it homosexual or heterosexual.

Bull and shit.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Erendi
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Erendi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:06 pm

I can agree with him on some things but I don't think I'd ever vote for him. I really don't think the Federal Reserve is the problem economically but rather the lack of regulations on banks. Anyways seems a bit too socially conservative for my tastes.
“Freedom and Happiness”
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

My RL Political Beliefs : Erendian People and Culture : Erendian Laws

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Turok wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Which in and of itself is a poor political opinion.

How?

Shit like this. For the record, I'm a Christian who thinks abortion should only ever be done in an emergency, and even I think this is a horrible idea.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Turok wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:He speaks up civil liberties about how the government shouldn't decide what goes on in one's body, right? Then why does he want the states to decide, at all, what women do within their own bodies?

He refers the to FEDERAL government making unilateral decisions across all states, and not allowing the central government to dictate what the people choose to do, and lets the smaller local governments decide what is best for their state, town, city, village, etc...

Human rights don't change based on what part of the country you are in. Laws regarding them shouldn't either.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Cannatella Mafia Family
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cannatella Mafia Family » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Foreign policy mess. Libertarian conservative. Has no chance at RNC nomination.

Turok
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Turok » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Turok wrote:
He refers the to FEDERAL government making unilateral decisions across all states, and not allowing the central government to dictate what the people choose to do, and lets the smaller local governments decide what is best for their state, town, city, village, etc...

Human rights don't change based on what part of the country you are in. Laws regarding them shouldn't either.

Agreed, but the argument he is making is that the Fed gov has no business making a unilateral decision on that issue.

Alternately, the same could be said regarding substance use, where's the human rights in that argument? Seems kind of hypocritical.

The Imperial Federacy
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Federacy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm not awfully familiar with everything he's advocating for, but I remember doing a school paper for him several years ago. As mentioned already, he's pretty consistent with his beliefs and I appreciate that he doesn't flip-flop like many other politicians. Plus, he's got a friendly look to him. :)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General