There have been multiple requests for a chat thread in various forums. The fact that we have traditionally come down rather hard on them has been in place for ages, and for a number of different reasons. After discussing various points, and the fact that it seems to be something the players would really like to have, we’re going to try it out and see how it goes. Please bear in mind the following:
- Three strikes, you're out - end of. 1 day ban for first infraction in any chat thread. 3 day for the next. 7 day for the next. Deletion on the 4th. Why? Because these kinds of threads tend to fly heavy and fast, and it is all too easy to let yourself get caught up in the spirit of things, step out of line, and it tends to snowball like mad. We can’t have that. Players with already colorful histories are encouraged to tread even more carefully, as stepping out of line here will only add to that, and prior warnings can and will be taken into account when considering the three strikes notation above.
- There are no new rules for these threads. If you have a question on the rules, I have links in my sig to handy threads to refresh your memory. Things like ‘do not picspam, do not flame, do not troll, do not bait your fellow posters’ are all very good things to keep in mind.
- Keep it family friendly as much as possible. In other words, however much you want to hug and snuggle and flirt, do not get graphic with it. This has also been a problem in other chat threads, and some have been shut down for it. Keep it clean, or take it elsewhere. Does this mean sensitive topics cannot be discussed? No – but have care, as with any forum here on NS, with how you handle it.
- These threads are not a blog, or a stage for you to constantly play out your personal dramas – do not treat them like one. Which is not to say folks can’t ask how one another is doing, offer a shoulder now and then, or give some encouragement. Life happens – and it’s nice to have folks you can talk to about it. Just keep in mind that some things are more appropriate to continue discussing in other places.
- Each chat thread will be randomly archived after a certain point, so there is no need to race to fill up the pages – these are not designed for competition in mind, just discussion between players on whatever it is that’s on their minds at the time (so long as it is within the site rules.) Please, don’t do it.
- No, this does not mean everyone can run out and create their own chat threads. There is one for F7, NSG, and
Gameplay, and for now, that's all that will be running. Please do not go out and make your own. We still have to moderate things, and that's one of the reasons that chat threads are difficult - they move fast. Too many, and we'll drown. I hate drowning.
- Title for the thread: If you’ve got some ideas or preferences, let me know – I’ll edit it in to better suit the locals.
So there you go – a thread you can go to and not get yelled at for chatting, or going off topic. Hope you can enjoy, folks!