NATION

PASSWORD

Was Johnathan Swift a troll?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 am

He was original, imaginative, and funny - so no he wasn't a troll.
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:33 am

Rambhutan wrote:He was original, imaginative, and funny - so no he wasn't a troll.

Isn't that kind of a reverse "no true Scotsman" fallacy? An "every true Scotsman", if you will.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Enatai
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Enatai » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:37 am

No, unless he wrote "A Modest Proposal" purely to piss people off, which he did not. A troll is someone who does something specifically to get a pissed off reaction out of someone else, anything other than that is not really pure trolling.
Founder of the Coalition of Ponyist States
Political Compass & Core Political Beliefs:
Economic Left/Right: -3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
Civil rights are paramount. Law should be based on the harm principle. The economy is a means to an end, left/right doesn't matter so long as the people prosper.
Muffinvania wrote:You're saying Enatai is hot sweaty fun, we get it. Sheesh.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 am

Enatai wrote:No, unless he wrote "A Modest Proposal" purely to piss people off, which he did not. A troll is someone who does something specifically to get a pissed off reaction out of someone else, anything other than that is not really pure trolling.

A troll is someone who deceptively misrepresents themselves to get a strong, emotional reaction, anger simply being the most common.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:He was original, imaginative, and funny - so no he wasn't a troll.

Isn't that kind of a reverse "no true Scotsman" fallacy? An "every true Scotsman", if you will.

Yeah, it's called being part of a definition.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:56 am

Caninope wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Isn't that kind of a reverse "no true Scotsman" fallacy? An "every true Scotsman", if you will.

Yeah, it's called being part of a definition.

Being unoriginal, unimaginative and unfunny are hardly part of the definition of trolling. Connotation, tops.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:58 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Caninope wrote:Yeah, it's called being part of a definition.

Being unoriginal, unimaginative and unfunny are hardly part of the definition of trolling. Connotation, tops.

Eh, I was responding more to your fallacy post than to him.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Caninope wrote:Yeah, it's called being part of a definition.

Might not be part of the definition of a troll more my experience of what they are like - they seriously lack wit for the most part. To use a street art metaphor hardly any of them are Banksy nearly all of them are sad little anonymous losers artlessly scrawling their initials on a wall with a marker pen.
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 am

Caninope wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Being unoriginal, unimaginative and unfunny are hardly part of the definition of trolling. Connotation, tops.

Eh, I was responding more to your fallacy post than to him.

The "no true Scotsman" fallacy by, well, definition, means excluding someone/something from a certain group, despite that something fitting the definition of said group, on the basis of criteria that is not part of the definition.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 am

Rambhutan wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Being unoriginal, unimaginative and unfunny are hardly part of the definition of trolling. Connotation, tops.

Might not be part of the definition of a troll more my experience of what they are like - they seriously lack wit for the most part. To use a street art metaphor hardly any of them are Banksy nearly all of them are sad little anonymous losers artlessly scrawling their initials on a wall with a marker pen.

This is true, yet even skilled artists of the pursuit are still graffitiers, no?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:05 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Caninope wrote:Eh, I was responding more to your fallacy post than to him.

The "no true Scotsman" fallacy by, well, definition, means excluding someone/something from a certain group, despite that something fitting the definition of said group, on the basis of criteria that is not part of the definition.

I meant your "every true Scotsman" jab.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:07 am

Caninope wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:The "no true Scotsman" fallacy by, well, definition, means excluding someone/something from a certain group, despite that something fitting the definition of said group, on the basis of criteria that is not part of the definition.

I meant your "every true Scotsman" jab.

I'm unsure what you meant. The phrase was just a coined corollary.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:11 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Caninope wrote:I meant your "every true Scotsman" jab.

I'm unsure what you meant. The phrase was just a coined corollary.

Your corollary was just the definition of definition/category.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Sovereign Spirits
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovereign Spirits » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:12 am

Olthar wrote:When Wikipedia says "an emotional response," they are using pretentious talk to say "anger." A troll's goal is to piss people off to feed his/her own ego. A satirist's goal is to provoke thought and inquiry about the state of modern culture. They really couldn't be more different.

Perhaps they couldn't be more different, yet for many, they couldn't be more difficult to distinguish.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson, November 1787

Zebbstar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zebbstar » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:15 am

The House of Petain wrote:No, but Voltaire was.
Economic : -4.00
Social : -5.54
Thalam wrote:Also, you gotta love a thread full of non-atheists telling atheists what atheists believe.
I run my nation how I would If I was able to run a Nation
It probably wouldn't work too well
Anarchy+Legal Drugs+True Liberal

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 am

Caninope wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I'm unsure what you meant. The phrase was just a coined corollary.

Your corollary was just the definition of definition/category.

No, I implied that like "no true Scotsman", the qualifications for the category were arbitrary compiled, and not a part of the definition.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:

This is true, yet even skilled artists of the pursuit are still graffitiers, no?

I prefer to look at it as: they might use similar tools but there is still a division between those that are artists, and those that are merely vandals.
Last edited by Rambhutan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are we there yet?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:56 am

Rambhutan wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:This is true, yet even skilled artists of the pursuit are still graffitiers, no?

I prefer to look at it as: they might use similar tools but there is still a division between those that are artists, and those that are merely vandals.

Was not John Dillinger a crook?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:03 am

I don't know, I didn't find it that hard to find the tone in A Modest Proposal. I caught on right away that it was satire. Good satire, at that. Good enough to be remembered today hundreds of years later.

Not trolling.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:12 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Caninope wrote:Your corollary was just the definition of definition/category.

No, I implied that like "no true Scotsman", the qualifications for the category were arbitrary compiled, and not a part of the definition.

They certainly seemed to be part of the connotations surrounding the words.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Offenheim
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Serrland wrote:I don't know, I didn't find it that hard to find the tone in A Modest Proposal. I caught on right away that it was satire. Good satire, at that. Good enough to be remembered today hundreds of years later.

Not trolling.

But you have the advantage of a few hundred years between yourself and Swift's time. In fact, the way Proposal is presented to you is as satire. Few people present it as, "here's an essay, read it and discuss."

Furthermore, the culture when it was written was vastly different from today. Satire is firmly cemented in English culture. There's been so many similar works to Proposal that even if you were reading it without any knowledge that it was satire or Swift's place in history, you'd probably be familiar with either an homage or parody of the original work.

In Britain in the 18th Century though, dealing with the Irish was a common discussion, and one which Swift was reacting to. Proposal inherently mocks many of the solutions that were being proposed by British thinkers to Irish suffering, many of which were extremely callous. Proposal is remembered precisely because people failed to realize it was satire. If people had realized it was satire immediately, it wouldn't be a classic, it'd be some lesser-known work.

Congratulating yourself for getting it's satire a few hundred years after the fact doesn't mean anything. In its day and age, could it have been considered trolling?

For another modern example: Arm the Homeless.
"No one has yet learned to drive a locomotive sitting in his study."
-Leon Trotsky

A Royal Fellowship of Death (WW1 RP)
-Central Urpaian Front

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Norstal wrote:
Galla- wrote:
All satirists are trolls, but not all trolls are satirists.

Obv.

Mark Twain was not a "troll". He did not wrote "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and all of his other books to troll Southerners.

That was part of it though.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Wouldn't this mean that anyone who takes a devil's advocate position is also trolling, if that position creates an emotional response?

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Seperates wrote:
Norstal wrote:...

Mark Twain was not a "troll". He did not wrote "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and all of his other books to troll Southerners.

That was part of it though.

No, it really wasn't.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Primary idea of trolling: reaction to an extreme idea or action for it's own sake.

Primary idea of satire: humor and/or proving a point.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General