NATION

PASSWORD

US/Obama Healthcare Plan Consolidated MEGA-THREAD

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

US/Obama Healthcare Plan Consolidated MEGA-THREAD

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:20 pm

If there are any people who live in a country that have nationalized helthcare I would appreciate your answer to this question. Is government controlled healthcare really that bad? If so why? I think a little longer wait is better than getting screwed if someone gets injured and doesn't have insurance.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

47-9 126-43
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is Government Controlled Healthcare Really That Bad?

Postby 47-9 126-43 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:21 pm

Nope.
The wait times aren't even longer, actually.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 pm

No. There we go.
End the Modigarchy now.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:24 pm

47-9 126-43 wrote:Nope.

Thank you! I am sick off all the crap being spread that we wont get to see doctors if we are injured and euthenasia will be legalized. Even if it is legalized so what? It's no worse than taking someone off of life support.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:25 pm

No. I've had less cost, less waiting, and better service than I ever did in the US.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:

Thank you! I am sick off all the crap being spread that we wont get to see doctors if we are injured and euthenasia will be legalized. Even if it is legalized so what? It's no worse than taking someone off of life support.

I think the canard being spread around is that euthanasia will become mandatory if the government decides you aren't worth spending its limited medical resources on. And I do mean you. I will be kept alive forever. :p
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Government run healthcare would be awful. That's why the military and veterans have it; because it's the best! ...because it's government run.

:?

I'm not very good at this...
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:26 pm

You evil socicalcommienazi! Of course it is evil!

The sad thing of the health care debate is that is shows the stupidity of the average person.

Many can't even explain their benefits to you. Many who use programs like medicare and medicade will tell you socialized medicine is wrong and they don't want it!

I am sure when the dust settles there will be yet another paper tiger that doesn't do much for people.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

I think the canard being spread around is that euthanasia will become mandatory if the government decides you aren't worth spending its limited medical resources on. And I do mean you. I will be kept alive forever. :p

Aren't kids in Asia kind of the norm?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Nope.

I mean, it's not like you don't have to wait a while in the emergency room if you show up for non-emergency things (e.g. severe stomach pain when the walk-in clinics are closed), but if you show up to the appropriate places you get treated in a timely manner. I've also walked right up to non-walk in clinics and got a doctor's appointment right away. When I actually book appointments properly I don't generally have to do so well in advance either.

And recent cutbacks have made things a bit crappier, like vision used to be covered (well, eye exams at least) now they're not. Same goes with physiotherapy. I also think that psychiatric care should be covered, but it isn't.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:30 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:You evil socicalcommienazi! Of course it is evil!

The sad thing of the health care debate is that is shows the stupidity of the average person.

Many can't even explain their benefits to you. Many who use programs like medicare and medicade will tell you socialized medicine is wrong and they don't want it!

I am sure when the dust settles there will be yet another paper tiger that doesn't do much for people.....

And what will the 33 million americans (and growing becuase of unemployment) think? Oh yeah. Even if their capatalist I think they're in favor of it.

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Yes because the government is a big meanie that likes tyrannizing people and taking away their stuff and not just a large group of individuals chosen to represent the nation.
Signatures are for losers.

Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Yes, it sucks, plain and simple. Can I haz kookie now?
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

Dhammonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dhammonia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 pm

It's fine - however, i'd really wish they'd give us financial incentives to live healthy (-> lowering costs) here in germany.
People caring for their health should just somehow be rewarded, compared to the average sausage-eating, smoking, alcoholic you know?

Although this is just a small con, considering that government controlled/supported healthcare is a huge improvement for the well-being of a community.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:Yes because the government is a big meanie that likes tyrannizing people and taking away their stuff and not just a large group of individuals chosen to represent the nation.

So obviously your republican, insured, american, and probably wealthy.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:Yes because the government is a big meanie that likes tyrannizing people and taking away their stuff and not just a large group of individuals chosen to represent the nation.

Or being sarcastic -_-
End the Modigarchy now.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

Or being sarcastic -_-

Yeah I left out that one. Also plain ignorant should be another option.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Government run healthcare would be awful. That's why the military and veterans have it; because it's the best! ...because it's government run.

Actually, most of the retired servicemen/women I know who are injured do nothing but complain about their healthcare.

I mean, it's hardly representative and highly anecdotal, but that's what I've observed.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Americow
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Americow » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:You evil socicalcommienazi! Of course it is evil!

Why is it so evil?

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Dakini wrote:And recent cutbacks have made things a bit crappier, like vision used to be covered (well, eye exams at least) now they're not. Same goes with physiotherapy. I also think that psychiatric care should be covered, but it isn't.

I know of one loophole - may need to be double checked though. If you want to avoid paying for vision exams, convince your family doctor to refer you to an ophthalmologist. Granted you need a good reason. Fluctuations in vision should be enough. I know I will able to request from my doctor here in Ontario.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:

I arrived in this country last year chased by the Stasi and with literally nothing except my wits to my name. (Had to wear old cardboard boxes for a while.) But I pulled myself up by my bootstraps, or would have done if I had boots, and now I make $700 million a year as CEO of a big company and own most of the state of Wyoming. If I did it anyone can! Americans don't need any of this welfare crap.
Signatures are for losers.

47-9 126-43
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby 47-9 126-43 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Galloism wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Government run healthcare would be awful. That's why the military and veterans have it; because it's the best! ...because it's government run.

Actually, most of the retired servicemen/women I know who are injured do nothing but complain about their healthcare.

I mean, it's hardly representative and highly anecdotal, but that's what I've observed.

I can think of a lot of reasons as to why that could be.
One of them being they're getting fucking shot with big fucking bullets so obviously they aren't going to have fun.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Galloism wrote:

To be fair, almost everybody I know has good and bad stories about healthcare. Especially older people who have been around long enough to see it suck.
Oddly enough, in 1994, shortly after Bill Clinton came into office, the VA healthcare system got some horrible publicity about poor conditions. In 2003, shortly after he left, the system was given better reviews than most private healthcare. I guess that shows just how much Bill Clinton destroyed the military eh? ;)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Depends on which government is controlling it.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

I arrived in this country last year chased by the Stasi and with literally nothing except my wits to my name. (Had to wear old cardboard boxes for a while.) But I pulled myself up by my bootstraps, or would have done if I had boots, and now I make $700 million a year as CEO of a big company and own most of the state of Wyoming. If I did it anyone can! Americans don't need any of this welfare crap.

*considers pointing out that the Federal Government and State Government own about 54% of Wyoming between them but just grins and nods instead*

Hunter S. Thompson

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General