NATION

PASSWORD

artificial intelligence a threat to humanity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Disgruntled militia wrote: I love simple solutions.

As do I.
Retired

Extra Sauce
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 01, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Extra Sauce » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Milograd wrote:
Extra Sauce wrote:It's not a good reason. Fear of the future's potential doesn't justify trying to get in its way. People should be vigilant about how things are used instead of preventing their development.

So you are saying technology and science is nothing to be afraid of? Have you ever seen the effects of human technology through out the ages? Dear lord, there used to be a time when guns and tanks and inter-continental-ballistic-missiles didn't exist. You can't possibly think that technology is nothing to be afraid of.

Oh, yeah, there's all kinds of destructive potential. Who would deny that? I just believe it's more appropriate to fear people who use technology for destructive ends than to fear technology's destructive potential. Stuff can be used for different purposes, after all.

Take a rocket, put a nuke on it, turn it into an ICBM; take another rocket, put three dudes in it, and take them to the Moon. Just because you can stick a nuke in a rocket doesn't mean people should be afraid of rockets, it just means that people should work very, very hard to do something wortwhile with rockets; like put dudes on the moon, and maybe a permanent moonbase or something.
Last edited by Extra Sauce on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Milograd wrote:So you are saying technology and science is nothing to be afraid of? Have you ever seen the effects of human technology through out the ages? Dear lord, there used to be a time when guns and tanks and inter-continental-ballistic-missiles didn't exist. You can't possibly think that technology is nothing to be afraid of.

Fear not technology, fear the people that would misuse it. A tank cannot hurt you without a pilot, an ICBM cannot launch on its own and a gun needs to be aimed.

Floreria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Floreria » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 pm

x
Last edited by Floreria on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Diseased Imaginings wrote:I don't fear it. In fact, I think once medical tech and neuroscience advance enough in the next few decades, we'll see people first start to have embedded microchips with algorithms and memory integrated into human nervous systems. We're very quickly approaching the verge of a post-organic evolution in humankind, and I find it exhilarating.

Well, I don't think that will happen, and don't want it to happen. Its appalling.

Yes, AI has the potential to be a threat, and there is absolutely no reason to create true AI that could eventually be smarter than humans.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Avenio wrote:Fear not technology, fear the people that would misuse it. A tank cannot hurt you without a pilot, an ICBM cannot launch on its own and a gun needs to be aimed.

Ha, just wait until they can.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Disgruntled militia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Disgruntled militia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Trollgaard wrote:there is absolutely no reason to create true AI that could eventually be smarter than humans.

except for the inherent fact that it is smarter than a human, smarter in fact than any human ever could be.... you see no value in that?
Conserative Morality wrote:
Sintas wrote:Well, they didn't deserve their home getting destroyed. They. Were. Alive. Too.

So are bacteria. I feel no pity when I use hand sanitizer.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:
CTALNH wrote:If I was the president in RL I would even declare tobacco illegal.

Note to self, assassinate CTALNH if (s)he ever runs for office.

The Corparation wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Ah, but my opinions allow me to use force effectively and pre-emptively, which means their opinion is helpless before mine.

And this is why America wins.

Extra Sauce
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 01, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Extra Sauce » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Avenio wrote:Fear not technology, fear the people that would misuse it. A tank cannot hurt you without a pilot, an ICBM cannot launch on its own and a gun needs to be aimed.

Oh, snap! Skynet all up in this bitch!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:11 pm

Zathganastan wrote:
Extra Sauce wrote:We call those idiots. Who else is unable to distinguish fiction from reality?

That would be Most of the earth's population.
Your point?
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Floreria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Floreria » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:11 pm

x
Last edited by Floreria on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:

True. But until then, the 'goodness' of a technology depends almost wholly upon the nature of its user. Or, potentially, as you state, the nature of the people who program the AI.

Xarithis
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Xarithis » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Zathganastan wrote:What do most people feel about AI robot's that think for themselves.
Is it a threat to humanity or just anorther part of the future.

Fear me, and my hobby of developing AI Systems. Fear!

Even an intelligent machine must adhere to the limits imposed upon it by the programmer. So long as the developers know what they are doing, AI research poses little danger. I would equate it with genetic engineering - Sure, it's dangerous. But only if you have no idea what you are doing, or if you want it to be dangerous.

Really, you only have to worry about us Wannabe-World-Conquering Mad Scientists™, and we are few and far between.
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Until I stop procrastinating and write a Factbook, here are a few basic facts of Xarithis for reference:

Form of Government: Dictatorship
RP Population: 40,444,305
Economic System: Mixed, Leaning toward State Capitalism

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 pm

Floreria wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Well, I don't think that will happen, and don't want it to happen. Its appalling.

Yes, AI has the potential to be a threat, and there is absolutely no reason to create true AI that could eventually be smarter than humans.

Really? Since I was certain that there were, in fact, reasons to do that.

Evolution has its limitations. If we want to improve humanity, which is certainly something that seems to be required in this small part of the universe, we'll need to find new solutions. Nature simply doesn't work that way.

I can understand why these concepts would be apalling. We'll be trusting our imperfect partners in crime here on earth with helping to achieve a more ideal form. It's easily abusable and quite potentially dangerous. Of course any intelligent human being would know that using it for purposes beneficial to us would be the best plan, but how can we be so sure that would happen?

Humans are fine. We don't need AI. We'll survive or perish by our own hands.

Disgruntled militia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Disgruntled militia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Humans are fine. We don't need AI. We'll survive or perish by our own hands.

Yes, and our hands have built computers and don't plan to stop there. Are you against technology in general, or just new technology?
Conserative Morality wrote:
Sintas wrote:Well, they didn't deserve their home getting destroyed. They. Were. Alive. Too.

So are bacteria. I feel no pity when I use hand sanitizer.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:
CTALNH wrote:If I was the president in RL I would even declare tobacco illegal.

Note to self, assassinate CTALNH if (s)he ever runs for office.

The Corparation wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Ah, but my opinions allow me to use force effectively and pre-emptively, which means their opinion is helpless before mine.

And this is why America wins.

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Friggin' hell, computers aren't gonna enslave us! Keep building bigger and faster machines, it's all good.
Last edited by New Ziedrich on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Disgruntled militia wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:Humans are fine. We don't need AI. We'll survive or perish by our own hands.

Yes, and our hands have built computers and don't plan to stop there. Are you against technology in general, or just new technology?

In general I'm against it, but with much difficulty accept that it most likely isn't going away.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Diseased Imaginings wrote:I don't fear it. In fact, I think once medical tech and neuroscience advance enough in the next few decades, we'll see people first start to have embedded microchips with algorithms and memory integrated into human nervous systems. We're very quickly approaching the verge of a post-organic evolution in humankind, and I find it exhilarating.

There is really no risk. For 3 years I was a paid researcher in the field of computational intelligence (the part of AI that any real intelligence will develop from). Yes it's fun and exciting but...

We are not making software that is as smart as an small insect.... We are making software that is as smart as overly simplified model of a small insect.

Most people are not working on anything with any type of "General intelligence" It's not a focus really. Research is very very specific to methods of solving problems most people have probably never heard of.

Most of the things people show are things that there are well known formulas for. The computer did not come up with that formula itself. It was directly programmed. I have worked on programs that develop their own algorithms but it's not as advanced as it sounds. They can't change the basic structure in ways that biological organisms can.

It's basically optimization of coefficients. Which can get some very very cool results BUT cannot accomplish all that much compared to what a living organism can accomplish.
Did you see a ghost?

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Well that's reassuring, Natapoc.

Hresejnen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hresejnen » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:54 pm

It's physically impossible for a machine to be able to do everything a human can do, except more efficiently. I guess sorta like how it's impossible to make an emulator that runs as well as the system itself. So no.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:

would be so pro tbh

give it 40 years or so
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Qatarab
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Qatarab » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:10 am

I want an AI system controlling things. Of course the problem is that people believe that the AI will hate humanity and take over the world but thats only when retarded humans actually pose that threat to the computer. Skynet might've been a nicer AI had the workers not scrambled to chop off its head(virtually) when it became self-aware. Obviously if i popped out of a cave for the first time and got attacked by the first man i saw out there,i'd probably think all the people on the surface were evil.
I RP With:MT(5 billion) and FT(25 Billion)[may change]
Factbook
Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:14 am

Zathganastan wrote:What do most people feel about AI robot's that think for themselves.
Is it a threat to humanity or just anorther part of the future.

No it's not. An artificial intelligence, with current technology and knowledge, that is fully self aware is impossible due to limits of computation.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:19 am

Trollgaard wrote:

AI is as much of a threat as a simple calculator.

Programming is solely based on math and mathematical logic. Currently, there is no mathematical proof to determine mood, feelings, sentient, etc. As long as there is no method of proof to do this, there will be no AI that is sentient.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 am

Humans are emotional* and irrational** while machines are emotionless and rational,humans fear and hate the different,the uncertain.WE built machines and to create something you must be superior to it,if we know how AI works, which of course we do,we can sort out the machines if they cause trouble,if we're stupid enough to make it possible for them to cause trouble.
*Not necessarily a bad thing.
**Definitely a bad thing. The two are awful when put together.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Bakakishtan
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakakishtan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 am

Yeah if we don't have some way of controlling the A.I., then yeah I can see it being a problem. On another note, I don't really like the idea of human augmentation/trans humanism, I'd rather have nifty-er gadgets.
Official Name: The Magocracy of Bakakishtan
Leaders: Arch Warlock Koldun
Fantasy nation

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General