NATION

PASSWORD

Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Selrahc
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Pro-Wrestling Discussion Thread

Postby Selrahc » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 pm

This thread is mostly for fans of Professional Wrestling. Here, we can discuss just about anything related to it.

I do have a few requests.

1- CM Punk fans and Cena fans will have to co-exist (in this thread, I know it's hard sometimes, but just hold it here, okay)
2- No arguing over TNA vs WWE vs ROH
3- Obviously wrestling is fake. Please don't make a stupid post saying so.

So first question to get things rolling a bit.

What is your favorite storyline that is currently developing and/or has recently finished? In any promotion.
Last edited by Dread Lady Nathicana on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lets not troll with our topic titles, shall we?

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Do the Hardy brothers still wrestle? I remember them from when I still watched wrestling.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Selrahc
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Selrahc » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm not sure Matt Hardy does, but Jeff does for sure. He just finished up on TNA, and I hear rumors he may be going back to WWE.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:26 pm

Selrahc wrote:I'm not sure Matt Hardy does, but Jeff does for sure. He just finished up on TNA, and I hear rumors he may be going back to WWE.

Hm. They were my favorites. Poetry in motion seemed so amazing when I was first getting into wresting.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

The Tectonic Plates
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tectonic Plates » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:40 pm

I used to be a total wrestling fanboy, until I found out it was fake. That just killed it for me, I haven't watched it in years.
Social Democratic Cosmopolitan
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."
- Bertrand Russell

Male
Social Democrat/State Capitalist
Social Progressive

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:14 am

I was really into Wrestling until around '07 or so. Idk, it's like the magic was lost sometime after that. I blame John Cena.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 am

Wrestling is NOT FAKE

Yes it is staged and much of the pain and hits are pure OTT theatre, but the athleticism and acrobatic prowess of the wrestlers can not be denied. It isn't at all easy to perform a surplex, dropkick or a moonsault especially when you are 300lbs and a chair to the back still hurts even if it is plastic and you're expecting the hit.

Professional Wrestling is not a combat sport, and instead should be viewed as a performance, athletic theatre designed to excite the masses. It is male soap opera at it's finest but it is NOT FAKE

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:46 am

Battenburgia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Battenburgia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:00 am

Welsh old school professional wrestlers are the best pro-wrestlers :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bhLK6XPKCs

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:30 am

As a regular reader of the obituaries on Wikipedia, I get the impression that some professional wrestlers die at fairly young ages.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:35 am

Cetacea wrote:Wrestling is NOT FAKE

Yes it is staged and much of the pain and hits are pure OTT theatre, but the athleticism and acrobatic prowess of the wrestlers can not be denied. It isn't at all easy to perform a surplex, dropkick or a moonsault especially when you are 300lbs and a chair to the back still hurts even if it is plastic and you're expecting the hit.

Professional Wrestling is not a combat sport, and instead should be viewed as a performance, athletic theatre designed to excite the masses. It is male soap opera at it's finest but it is NOT FAKE

I find it useful to suggest that those complaining of professional wrestling's fakeness opt to be powerbombed through a folding table, then judge how fake it is for themselves. Usually silences them rather quickly.
L Ron Cupboard wrote:As a regular reader of the obituaries on Wikipedia, I get the impression that some professional wrestlers die at fairly young ages.

And a significant number of those are from drug overdoses, too.
Last edited by San Leggera on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:32 am

Nazis in Space wrote:Relevant.

damnit i was going to post that
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

DrakoBlaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoBlaria » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:38 am

True dat. I mean, when you have a guy like Bigshow jumping on you, no matter what he or you do, you are going to get hurt
Relevant
Last edited by DrakoBlaria on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kleomentia wrote:Almighty Hellenic Overlord of Slavya, he who is the son of Zeus and the father of Greekishness.
When Greeks stop being nationalists, they stop being Greeks
ABOUT ME:
Male, Greek Nationalist, Orthodox Christian, State Capitalist
EU, communism, abortion, Greek/Turkish friendship, NATO, illegal immigration, Globalism, FYROM, gay marriage
Enosis, Megali Idea, Putin, Guns, Nationalism, Equallity, Kurdistan, Assyria
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.74

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:49 am

Maurepas wrote:I was really into Wrestling until around '07 or so. Idk, it's like the magic was lost sometime after that. I blame John Cena.

Yeah pretty much the same here but not because of Cena...it was the really stupid story lines that they were bringing into the fray that were just too disturbing...the entire Undertaker death coffin canibalism/rape shit...and the gun shit with some insanely steroid'd to the gills nutcase...and then of course the Rabid Wolverines murder/suicide...that really put the kybosh on it for me. I watched the 25th Anniversary Wrestlemania and seeing Jimmy Snuka, Piper and Steamboat fight...I just got sick of it all. Mind you the Undertaker/Michaels match was pretty fucking awesome.

Spot on...and the main reason I used to enjoy watching it...
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:59 am

What? It's fake?
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:03 am

Forster Keys wrote:What? It's fake?

Nah...that's Wimbledon...
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Glasslands
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Glasslands » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 am

It's acting. Yes, they're athletes, no one can argue that.
Doesn't mean it's not fake. And sometimes creepy. Just enjoy the circus.

Lamplight Caverns
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 07, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Lamplight Caverns » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:17 am

All these young whipper-snappers...

They need to remember who their real God is.

Hulk is love, Hulk is life.
IC Name: Little Lamplight
IC Population: 43
"Mungo" means anybody sixteen years or older.

No OOC section for you! (First world) ANARCHYYY

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 am

Lamplight Caverns wrote:All these young whipper-snappers...

(Image)

i like Andre The Giant over Hogan, but at least Hogan is still around (even if on TNA)
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Lamplight Caverns
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 07, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Lamplight Caverns » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:45 am

TaQud wrote:
Lamplight Caverns wrote:All these young whipper-snappers...

(Image)

i like Andre The Giant over Hogan, but at least Hogan is still around (even if on TNA)

Mostly a joke post. I used to watch a bit of wrestling when I was a kid, it just enchanted me. But, like with all sports, I lost interest.
IC Name: Little Lamplight
IC Population: 43
"Mungo" means anybody sixteen years or older.

No OOC section for you! (First world) ANARCHYYY

Selrahc
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Selrahc » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Agreed. Sorry the "fake" word I used was inaccurate. Very well said!

Selrahc
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Selrahc » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:Relevant.

This thread is for more than WWE, but thank you for the link anyway!

Ashihara no Nakatsukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashihara no Nakatsukuni » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Selrahc wrote:I'm not sure Matt Hardy does, but Jeff does for sure. He just finished up on TNA, and I hear rumors he may be going back to WWE.

He bounces back and forth like he's on drugs.. Oh wait, he is.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:11 am

Selrahc wrote:What is your favorite storyline that is currently developing and/or has recently finished?

Gail Kim vs. Taryn Terrell. Ladder match next week.

Jeff is still wrestling for TNA.
Matt Hardy is wrestling for Ring of Honor.
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gnark
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Gnark » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:18 am

Steve Cena's one of my oldest friends, though I don't see him often these days. We went to college together. I was vaguely aware that his bratty little brother had gone into professional wrestling, but I don't pay any attention at all to wrestling, and Steve avoids the circus as much as possible, so I hadn't realized just how big a name in wrestling John actually was until I stumbled across his TVTropes page. Reading through that was a very surreal experience. I mean, this is a guy that I met before he was anybody, I've known his brother for twenty years, stayed in the house he grew up in a couple times... and I know that most of the stuff on that page is fabricated bullshit. But they weave strands of reality into it in a way that makes it really unclear where real life ends and where the pure bullshit begins. So, yeah, surreal.
Even in Antiquity, all the good names were already taken.

IC, we're the Terran Empire. No, not the Warhammer 40k Empire of Man. Or the Empire from Star Wars.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction