NATION

PASSWORD

playstation consoles..

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:04 am

North Wiedna wrote:the wii can't play n64 games because the n64 was still using cartridges at the time. the wii can play gamecube games, however.

Why not use an N64 emulator to play N64 games and a Gamecube and Wii emulator etc. for those games?

*You are on your own with regards on where to find the ROM and ISO files that are used with those programs because it is technically illegal for copyright purposes. But the older a game is, the less likely it is that a copyright will be enforced by the rights holder.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 am

I have a ps1 and a ps3. I still use the ps3, but mainly to play films and music. The games industry has gone down a route of high-priced franchises that bore the shit out of me, so the idea of a games console itself seems largely redundant to me.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:13 am

I decided about seven months ago that it is much more worthwhile to buy (and by buy I mean build) an $1,100 gaming computer then buy a PS3, X360, PS4, PS5, PS6, etc.
Remembering games, and daisy chains, and laughs...Got to keep the loonies on the path.
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:You've obviously never seen the Benomian M16A3s.
Carathon wrote:*Logs in with the name of Troll Alliance and writes a short app with poor grammar and logic.*Somehow genuinely surprised when denied*
Ragnarum wrote:Ragnarum transforms into a giant godzilla like creature, then walks into the sunset while emotional music plays and Morgan Freeman narrates.
Kouralia wrote:Everyone hates us: we're MMW. We're like the poster children of Realismfggtry.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP
Want me to explain life to you?

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 am

If the PS4 has some good exclusives and, most importantly, isn't ridiculously overpriced, I may buy it. The choice between XBOX 360 and PS3 was a no-brainer because of the massive price difference.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:25 am

Chestaan wrote:If the PS4 has some good exclusives and, most importantly, isn't ridiculously overpriced, I may buy it. The choice between XBOX 360 and PS3 was a no-brainer because of the massive price difference.

When I was in the market for a new console (a little over a year ago), this is what I saw:

PS3:
$250
160GB hard drive
Tons of exclusives that I actually wanted (Specifically InFamous and GT5)
Could play some old PS1 games that I still play
Could be used as a Blu-Ray player (which I was unable to do before)
Had a tried-and-tested controller that I was familiar with
Free network

Xbox 360:
$200
4GB hard drive
No exclusives that I wanted
Wasn't able to play any games that I already had
Could NOT be used as a blu-ray player
Had an awkward looking controller that I would need to get used to
Did NOT have a free network

That list obviously shows that the PS3 is a better choice. Sure, the X360 may be $50 cheaper, but it is a much worse console, and you'd end up paying the $50 in the network cost over the course of two years anyway, so the PS3 is a MUCH better choice.
Remembering games, and daisy chains, and laughs...Got to keep the loonies on the path.
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:You've obviously never seen the Benomian M16A3s.
Carathon wrote:*Logs in with the name of Troll Alliance and writes a short app with poor grammar and logic.*Somehow genuinely surprised when denied*
Ragnarum wrote:Ragnarum transforms into a giant godzilla like creature, then walks into the sunset while emotional music plays and Morgan Freeman narrates.
Kouralia wrote:Everyone hates us: we're MMW. We're like the poster children of Realismfggtry.
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP

Those Once Loyal
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Those Once Loyal » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 am

Cromarty wrote:
Oterro wrote:yes

it's his fault sony made a shit overpriced console without backwards compatibility than has awful architecture and no grass

y so derp

The 40GB, 80GB re-release, 160GB, and the slim version of the PS3 are not backwards compatible with PS2 games because all hardware chips from the former console are omitted and there is no software emulation.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 am

Those Once Loyal wrote:
Cromarty wrote:y so derp

The 40GB, 80GB re-release, 160GB, and the slim version of the PS3 are not backwards compatible with PS2 games because all hardware chips from the former console are omitted and there is no software emulation.

Leaving the 20gb and 60gb versions, as well as all PS3s being able to play PS1 games.

To claim the PS3 isn't backwards compatible is a lie.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:48 am

Cromarty wrote:To claim the PS3 isn't backwards compatible is a lie.

basically:
can only play PS1 games why are you complaining lol

to play PS2 games

i have to own a PS2

my PS2 can play PS1 games

there is absolutely no excuse for not supporting PS2 backwards compatibility, to make such distinctions when almost half of the titles the company has previously supported are no longer supported is pedantic, pointless and inexcusable.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 am

Oterro wrote:

basically:

to play PS2 games

i have to own a PS2

my PS2 can play PS1 games

there is absolutely no excuse for not supporting PS2 backwards compatibility, to make such distinctions when almost half of the titles the company has previously supported are no longer supported is pedantic, pointless and inexcusable.

For the last fucking time some PS3s can play PS2 games!
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:02 am

Oterro wrote:

basically:

to play PS2 games

i have to own a PS2

y so derp
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
Кромартий

Eaglleia
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaglleia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:03 am

PS1:Very Good
PS2:Excellent
PS3:Good
PS4:Don't know anything yet, anyone who claims they do is wrong. As mentioned, the leaked specs seem pretty good, though.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:17 am

Benomia wrote:
Chestaan wrote:If the PS4 has some good exclusives and, most importantly, isn't ridiculously overpriced, I may buy it. The choice between XBOX 360 and PS3 was a no-brainer because of the massive price difference.

When I was in the market for a new console (a little over a year ago), this is what I saw:

PS3:
$250
160GB hard drive
Tons of exclusives that I actually wanted (Specifically InFamous and GT5)
Could play some old PS1 games that I still play
Could be used as a Blu-Ray player (which I was unable to do before)
Had a tried-and-tested controller that I was familiar with
Free network

Xbox 360:
$200
4GB hard drive
No exclusives that I wanted
Wasn't able to play any games that I already had
Could NOT be used as a blu-ray player
Had an awkward looking controller that I would need to get used to
Did NOT have a free network

That list obviously shows that the PS3 is a better choice. Sure, the X360 may be $50 cheaper, but it is a much worse console, and you'd end up paying the $50 in the network cost over the course of two years anyway, so the PS3 is a MUCH better choice.

Sure, a year ago it was only $50 cheaper. But when they both first came out the XBOX was like €350 while the PS3 was over €600.

Also, I personally prefer the XBOX exclusives.
Last edited by Chestaan on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:54 am

Saiwania wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:the wii can't play n64 games because the n64 was still using cartridges at the time. the wii can play gamecube games, however.

Why not use an N64 emulator to play N64 games and a Gamecube and Wii emulator etc. for those games?

*You are on your own with regards on where to find the ROM and ISO files that are used with those programs because it is technically illegal for copyright purposes. But the older a game is, the less likely it is that a copyright will be enforced by the rights holder.

how the fuck do you emulate a wii?
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 am

North Wiedna wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

how the fuck do you emulate a wii?

?
Кромартий

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:01 am

Cromarty wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:how the fuck do you emulate a wii?

?

whatttt
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction