NATION

PASSWORD

Really Bioware? REALLY?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Where the endings satisfactory?

Yes
13%
Meh
14%
no
14%
NO!
18%
BURN BIOWARE, BURN THEM ALL!
43%

Total votes : 96

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Genivaria wrote:To quote a commenter.

"The ending to ME3 is so bad it makes people agree with Hitler"

I had the 2nd highest-rated comment on there for about an hour. I think I mentioned not buying any more Bioware. Hopefully enough people agree.

What I can't figure out is why. WHY would they let a different set of writers do the ending?
The plot and dialogue were so popular before.

Post-Apocaliptia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Apocaliptia » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm

You know, I walked into this knowing that whatever ending they gave us would not live up to our (or at the very least my) expectations. But this!? My god, it's like... I DON'T EVEN KNOW! Sure, throw in a pseudo philosophical rant and give us what amounts to three buttons to press for our ending. Whoever thought this one up must have taken a few too many shots of ryncol. I have no words to describe how pissed I am. None. I'm honestly hoping that the whole 'twas but a dream theory is canon, because I'm going to Hulk out if it's not.
But, on the bright side, the game leading up to it was pretty good.
*sigh* I blame EA for this one. And they better be the cause of it.
/人 ‿‿ 人\ "Anything's possible if you make a contract with me! Or you could just join the Antarctic Alliance instead!"
Takaram wrote:Canada is the American liberal's post-election fallout shelter.
Farnhamia wrote:
Vecherd wrote:Pedophilia is the new homosexual. *waits to get shot*

I understand that trolls are part of Scandinavian folklore, but that's no reason to act like one.
Hittanryan wrote:WE IMPOSE ORDER ON THE CHAOS OF MODERN GAMING. CREATIVITY AND GOOD WRITING ARE NOTHING BUT INEFFICIENT, TIME-CONSUMING EXERCISES. DLC IS ETERNAL. I AM THE VANGUARD OF YOUR DESTITUTION. THIS EXCHANGE IS OVER.

Noders
Senator

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Zersium wrote:
Conoga wrote:I thought it was all right.

Besides, I doubt it was Bioware's choice. The ending was probably altered by EA.

EA has a habit of ruining a lot of good games.

Yes EA. Some of us do remember Westwood. However much you like to kick their corpse in the ground.

God do I miss Westwood. EA can burn in hell forever they have the omega touch of shit when it comes to games.
Last edited by Noders on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menassa= God of the Jews
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

United States of Minecraftia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United States of Minecraftia » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Yeah, I was incredibly upset until I heard that the actual ending can only be achieved on a New Game + file. I'm trying to burn through a play-through to find out if I can still get enjoyment out of the series. If that was just a rumor, and those three 'endings' were all Bioware was giving... I'll be damned if I buy another Bioware game ever again.

The actual ending's only the one with the grandfather and grandchild.

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 pm

I haven't seen people this angry since the Grand Wellington Chess Tournament

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 pm

I just looked up ME3 on Wikipedia and here's what I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_3#Reception
Reception
Mass Effect 3 was released to generally positive reviews by critics. IGN gave Mass Effect 3 a rating of 9.5 and called it an "absolutely amazing game".Andrew Reiner of Game Informer awarded it 10 out of 10 and asserted that "BioWare has delivered one of the most intricately crafted stories in the history of the medium".

Thierry Nguyen of 1UP.com rated the game 'A' and concluded "While Mass Effect 3 stumbles at times, the fact that it's the ultimate culmination of my own Shepard's story makes it one of the signature (and somewhat-literal) role-playing-games of this year."

Edge rated the game 8/10 saying "It’s off-putting to new players, too busy tying up loose ends to dangle any threads of its own, and fails to stand up as its own game in the same manner as its predecessors. But it’s also a spectacular, powerfully imagined and dramatically involving final act to one of gaming’s richest sci-fi sagas."

Tom Francis of PC Gamer US gave the game a score of 93/100 and ended with saying "...the end of the series is a mixed bag. Satisfying in some ways, nonsensical in others, and ultimately too simple. But the sheer scale of the adventure it’s ending – and the music, which is gorgeous throughout – gives it an emotional impact that goes beyond its plot payload."

The game's different endings have been controversial with some fans.

Understatement?
Last edited by Genivaria on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:I had the 2nd highest-rated comment on there for about an hour. I think I mentioned not buying any more Bioware. Hopefully enough people agree.

What I can't figure out is why. WHY would they let a different set of writers do the ending?

The entire rest of the game was nothing short of outstanding. Apparently, the game was written by the old Bioware, while the ending was written by Ewe Boll who has been convinced that Bioware gamers are the reason his movies always tank.

I mean, a major theme throughout all of the games was free choice and the impact it would have later on. We have been completely stripped of our choices. Nothing mattered. What is wrong with Bioware? How could they just abandon the major themes of the entire series? It's like they're being influenced by some sinister force...wait, what was that noise? Faint whispers...OHSHIT--

WE IMPOSE ORDER ON THE CHAOS OF MODERN GAMING. CREATIVITY AND GOOD WRITING ARE NOTHING BUT INEFFICIENT, TIME-CONSUMING EXERCISES. DLC IS ETERNAL. I AM THE VANGUARD OF YOUR DESTITUTION. THIS EXCHANGE IS OVER.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:32 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Genivaria wrote:What I can't figure out is why. WHY would they let a different set of writers do the ending?

The entire rest of the game was nothing short of outstanding. Apparently, the game was written by the old Bioware, while the ending was written by Ewe Boll who has been convinced that Bioware gamers are the reason his movies always tank.

I mean, a major theme throughout all of the games was free choice and the impact it would have later on. We have been completely stripped of our choices. Nothing mattered. What is wrong with Bioware? How could they just abandon the major themes of the entire series? It's like they're being influenced by some sinister force...wait, what was that noise? Faint whispers...OHSHIT--

WE IMPOSE ORDER ON THE CHAOS OF MODERN GAMING. CREATIVITY AND GOOD WRITING ARE NOTHING BUT INEFFICIENT, TIME-CONSUMING EXERCISES. DLC IS ETERNAL. I AM THE VANGUARD OF YOUR DESTITUTION. THIS EXCHANGE IS OVER.

*dons N7 armor and M-8 Avenger*
Lets do this!
Last edited by Genivaria on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:35 pm

United States of Minecraftia wrote:The actual ending's only the one with the grandfather and grandchild.

Already got that one. I just need the New Game + only one.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
United States of Minecraftia wrote:The actual ending's only the one with the grandfather and grandchild.

Already got that one. I just need the New Game + only one.

Can you give me an overview of that ending? Like, where'd you hear that this ending was different and how do i get it?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Post-Apocaliptia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Apocaliptia » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Genivaria wrote:What I can't figure out is why. WHY would they let a different set of writers do the ending?

You know, if EA was being run by the Reapers, that'd explain so damn much.
But wait, why would they distribute a game that would make their existence known? Unless those bastards are using to indoctri- ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FORM!
/人 ‿‿ 人\ "Anything's possible if you make a contract with me! Or you could just join the Antarctic Alliance instead!"
Farnhamia wrote:

I understand that trolls are part of Scandinavian folklore, but that's no reason to act like one.
Hittanryan wrote:WE IMPOSE ORDER ON THE CHAOS OF MODERN GAMING. CREATIVITY AND GOOD WRITING ARE NOTHING BUT INEFFICIENT, TIME-CONSUMING EXERCISES. DLC IS ETERNAL. I AM THE VANGUARD OF YOUR DESTITUTION. THIS EXCHANGE IS OVER.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:The entire rest of the game was nothing short of outstanding. Apparently, the game was written by the old Bioware, while the ending was written by Ewe Boll who has been convinced that Bioware gamers are the reason his movies always tank.

*dons N7 armor and M-8 Avenger*
Lets do this!

I'll bring a Black Widow and the fleets I painstakingly gathered only for them to be ignored. Oh, and I won't be alone. Garrus is pissed his calibrations didn't help to bring down Harbinger. Tali is about to rewrite the game so she actually gets back to the Homeworld and the ending actually acknowledges that synthetics and organics are now co-existing. Wrex will gain back the krogan's place in the galactic community stolen from him by shitty writing by planting a boot so far up someone's ass they'll taste krogan shoe polish and intestines for a week. Liara and Samara have also offered to send an Ardat-Yakshi to seduce some of EA's higher-ups. They haven't so much as looked at any of the games, so they won't even know what that means.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Post-Apocaliptia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Apocaliptia » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Genivaria wrote:*dons N7 armor and M-8 Avenger*
Lets do this!

I'll bring a Black Widow and the fleets I painstakingly gathered only for them to be ignored. Oh, and I won't be alone. Garrus is pissed his calibrations didn't help to bring down Harbinger. Tali is about to rewrite the game so she actually gets back to the Homeworld and the ending actually acknowledges that synthetics and organics are now co-existing. Wrex will gain back the krogan's place in the galactic community stolen from him by shitty writing by planting a boot so far up someone's ass they'll taste krogan shoe polish and intestines for a week. Liara and Samara have also offered to send an Ardat-Yakshi to seduce some of EA's higher-ups. They haven't so much as looked at any of the games, so they won't even know what that means.

I think we need a speech. Kirrahe?
You all know the mission, and what is at stake.
I have come to trust each of you with my life -- but I have also heard murmurs of discontent. I share your concerns.
We are trained for single player; we would be legends, but the save files are sealed. Glory in multiplayer is not our way.
Think of our heroes; Westwood, who made obscenely awesome strategy games. Or Origin, who made RPG's of epic proportions!
These giants do not seem to give us solace here, but they are not all that we are.
Before the bottom line, there were satisfied customers. Before corporate executives, there were gamers!
Our influence stopped the buggy gameplay, but before that we held the line!
Our influence stopped the trolls, but before that, we held the line!
Our influence will stop EA; in the battle today, we will hold the line!
Last edited by Post-Apocaliptia on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Farnhamia wrote:

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Post-Apocaliptia wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:I'll bring a Black Widow and the fleets I painstakingly gathered only for them to be ignored. Oh, and I won't be alone. Garrus is pissed his calibrations didn't help to bring down Harbinger. Tali is about to rewrite the game so she actually gets back to the Homeworld and the ending actually acknowledges that synthetics and organics are now co-existing. Wrex will gain back the krogan's place in the galactic community stolen from him by shitty writing by planting a boot so far up someone's ass they'll taste krogan shoe polish and intestines for a week. Liara and Samara have also offered to send an Ardat-Yakshi to seduce some of EA's higher-ups. They haven't so much as looked at any of the games, so they won't even know what that means.

I think we need a speech. Kirrahe?
You all know the mission, and what is at stake.
I have come to trust each of you with my life -- but I have also heard murmurs of discontent. I share your concerns.
We are trained for single player; we would be legends, but the save files are sealed. Glory in multiplayer is not our way.
Think of our heroes; Westwood, who made obscenely awesome strategy games. Or Origin, who made RPG's of epic proportions!
These giants do not seem to give us solace here, but they are not all that we are.
Before the bottom line, there were satisfied customers. Before corporate executives, there were gamers!
Our influence stopped the buggy gameplay, but before that we held the line!
Our influence stopped the trolls, but before that, we held the line!
Our influence will stop EA; in the battle today, we will hold the line!

SIR YES SIR!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:24 am

I enjoyed the game quite thoroughly.

I thoroughly unenjoyed the ending. It was bad story telling, pure and simple. Giving players three vague choices, and then not actually showing the differences in the ending beyond a different color effect to the space magic wave-motion gun is just plain stupid.

The "it was hallucination/dream/indoctrination" hypothesis is intriguing, but I'm just going to sit on the fence and say regardless, it was a bad idea to ship that kind of ending on a finished game, especially one intended to provide closure for a trilogy. Because it provides exactly no closure whatsoever.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:31 am

Hittanryan wrote:

I mean, a major theme throughout all of the games was free choice and the impact it would have later on........[/i][/b]

Hell, not just that. The entire series is built on the premise that free choice/free-will is GOOD philosophically and is in fact moral, even if it may result in some bad things happening.
I mean, I apologize for possibly sounding pedantic or something but the whole Mass Effect Universe was/is a massive statement that free will is better than so-called "order" that is imposed because that order is destructive and brutal and genocidal. I mean, its a giant statement that ALL life would rather die fighting than accept subjugation willingly barring some crazy mind-control/hackz0rz.
And then it ends by you either accepting some form of subjugation or compromising your own morality. Either your character collaborates-with/sacrifices-themselves-to the opposing sides philosophy by choosing to control the Reapers (with no evidence this is long-term successful). Or one is forced to destroy the big baddies while also sacrificing innocents on the alter of ending the conflict by any means. Or one can get a little bit of both worlds and give-in/accept the philosophy of the Reapers/star-child-god-boy AND sacrifice every civilization's uniqueness on the alter of an end to conflict.
But OH-HEY-LOOK-PRIMARY-COLORS! RGB-salvation has arrived!
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 am

Norstal wrote:Can you give me an overview of that ending? Like, where'd you hear that this ending was different and how do i get it?

I heard it on IGN, but...
If you complete a second (New Game+) playthrough of Mass Effect 3 there is one additional ending you can unlock. [UPDATE] This has been disproven, there is no secret ending.

The update didn't come until after I wasted another ten hours.

Fuck.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 am

when i saw the name i was thinking actually about biological warfare, not some series of games or series of entertainments based on them.

being unfamiliar with the latter i will stick with the former. cheap, possibly, effective, probably, but as likely to bite the wielder as the intended victims.

and now i must appologise seeing this is in arts and fiction rather then general.

i do have an opinion on everything and love to express it, but i'm afraid i must plead massive ignorance of the context here.
Last edited by Cameroi on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 am

Cameroi wrote:when i saw the name i was thinking actually about biological warfare, not some series of games or series of entertainments based on them.

being unfamiliar with the latter i will stick with the former. cheap, possibly, effective, probably, but as likely to bite the wielder as the intended victims.

and now i must appologise seeing this is in arts and fiction rather then general.

i do have an opinion on everything and love to express it, but i'm afraid i must plead massive ignorance of the context here.

The ending to an eagerly anticipated game series was not well received by fans.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

United Districts of 1
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 am

Oterro wrote:
Cameroi wrote:when i saw the name i was thinking actually about biological warfare, not some series of games or series of entertainments based on them.

The ending to an eagerly anticipated game series was not well received by fans a abomination.
Please refer to me as The Kyoto Trade Union at all times in IC
All that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!
My name in cat= Aknò:ziˑn rnckxx zeˑx

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 am

United Districts of 1 wrote:The ending to an eagerly anticipated game series was not well received by fans aan abomination.

I'll judge for myself when I've finished it.
Last edited by Oterro on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 am

Hittanryan wrote:

EA is Assuming direct control of bioware!
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:01 am

Oterro wrote:
United Districts of 1 wrote:The ending to an eagerly anticipated game series was not well received by fans aan abomination.

I'll judge for shoot myself when I've finished it.
Lenehen wrote:

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 am

United Districts of 1 wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:The entire rest of the game was nothing short of outstanding. Apparently, the game was written by the old Bioware, while the ending was written by Ewe Boll who has been convinced that Bioware gamers are the reason his movies always tank.

EA is Assuming direct control of bioware!

The last 10 minutes of ME3 turned into Red Alert 3.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:14 am

United Districts of 1 wrote:
Oterro wrote:I'll judge for shoot myself when I've finished it.

I don't have that much of an attachment to a game.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction