NATION

PASSWORD

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Thu May 12, 2011 3:21 pm

North Suran wrote:Did I die and wake up in a fantasy world where grown men could laud cartoons aimed at young girls?

My Little Pony is a very good cartoon. But that's all it is - a cartoon. It certainly isn't a show I'd recommend to my friends or adults. And it definitely isn't the Citizen Kane of cartoon horse shows that some people have made it out to be.
If MLP was the Citizen Kane of cartoons I'd have switched it off after five minutes, so yeah.

But compared to, say, Spongebob or to cover the live action segment, $Whatever_CSI... Well, the differences in animation quality, characterisation, and general writing bring the point home pretty well.

MLP is awesome, and you've to be a soulless monster to not like it. Soulless I say.

Have some saccharine.
Last edited by Nazis in Space on Thu May 12, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu May 12, 2011 4:33 pm

ZOMG SO KAWAII~DESU!!!!11!!one!

Sorry, had to get the weaboo out of my system. :D

But yes, like I said Robot Unicorn effect. At first people start watching it because it's good, then its over the top cuteness becomes a reason to watch in and of itself.

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Thu May 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:
North Suran wrote:Did I die and wake up in a fantasy world where grown men could laud cartoons aimed at young girls?

My Little Pony is a very good cartoon. But that's all it is - a cartoon. It certainly isn't a show I'd recommend to my friends or adults. And it definitely isn't the Citizen Kane of cartoon horse shows that some people have made it out to be.
If MLP was the Citizen Kane of cartoons I'd have switched it off after five minutes, so yeah.

But compared to, say, Spongebob or to cover the live action segment, $Whatever_CSI... Well, the differences in animation quality, characterisation, and general writing bring the point home pretty well.

MLP is awesome, and you've to be a soulless monster to not like it. Soulless I say.

Have some saccharine.

On top of this, the characters are more believable (You know, aside from being talking candy coloured ponies) than the characters of most shows and movies (though this may have been what you meant by characterization, in which case I'm just expanding on that).

Even Pinkie Pie is believable as a character.
The most inept invader in Nationstates!

Economic issues: +5.3 left
Social issues: +2.63 libertarian
Foreign policy: +7.28 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +7.23 liberal
New Freedomstan wrote:What is a little purging and gulag between friends?
They said I could do anything I wanted to do, so I argue with strangers on the internet.
Ceannairceach wrote:I am looking for a girl with >5% genetic relation to me. Must be dtf, blond, big butt.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu May 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Exactly, like usually the character like Rarity (fashionista style girl) is nothing but a shallow fashionista. It's her only trait, however they've developed her so that she shows that ths'e not just a fashionista, she's a deep character who actually cares for the people around them.

I mean, I especially like Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie's alternate character modes...they are very amusing.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Thu May 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Umm, what the fuck is a "My Little Pony" ?
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu May 12, 2011 7:54 pm

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Unilisia wrote:Umm, what the fuck is a "My Little Pony" ?

If you don't know what a pony is, I suggest you check into the closest elementary school, stat!
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Neo Esper
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Esper » Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 pm

I fell in love with the show straight away! Everytime I watch the show it puts me in good spirits to the point where I uh... actually sing along to the songs. Looking at Rainbow Dash, I wonder if I could pull off dying my hair rainbow coloured?

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Thu May 12, 2011 8:09 pm

North Wiedna wrote:
Unilisia wrote:Umm, what the fuck is a "My Little Pony" ?

If you don't know what a pony is, I suggest you check into the closest elementary school, stat!

I know what a pony is, but "My Little Pony" sounds like the name of a midget bestiality site and I am not searching it up >_>
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Theoretical Freedoms
Civilian

Founded: May 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Theoretical Freedoms » Thu May 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Although I've just noticed this thread...
This show brings out all of the good in people!

I love everything about ponies, including all of you. And say hi to Confluttershy if you see me on Ponychan.

Sol Bella
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sol Bella » Thu May 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Bronies represent!
A Spanish-speaking, First World, Pseudo-African nation that has only been in FT for two years after advancing past the PMT tech level with a single space colony. Significant Pony minority. The nation is known for its export of energy and information technology services, and is known among its nearby neighbors in Africa for providing the finest scientific materials and personnel in the region.

Proud 5th Member of the Coalition of Ponyists States, 1st Protector Nation

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Fri May 13, 2011 1:04 am

I hope this comes out on DVD so when my daughter is old enough to actually watch cartoons and be enthralled by them this will be one of them that she can watch, enjoy, and not drive me to suicide. :lol:

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri May 13, 2011 4:59 am

Unilisia wrote:I know what a pony is, but "My Little Pony" sounds like the name of a midget bestiality site and I am not searching it up >_>

:palm:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a cartoon series developed by Lauren Faust. As you can tell by this thread, it has proven to be popular with a lot of people out side of its targeted audience.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Fri May 13, 2011 9:53 am

The Holy Twig wrote:On top of this, the characters are more believable

Stop. Just...stop.

There are many things you can compliment this show on, but deep and believable characters is not one of them. Pretty much every single character is characterised and defined by a single trait, which they can also be summed up by (such as Applejack being a South'rn gal or Fluttershy being...well, shy).

Seriously, am I taking crazy pills or something? Have you people never seen a cartoon before?
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Fri May 13, 2011 10:19 am

North Suran wrote:
The Holy Twig wrote:On top of this, the characters are more believable

characterised and defined by a single trait, which they can also be summed up by (such as Applejack being a South'rn gal or Fluttershy being...well, shy).

Seriously, am I taking crazy pills or something? Have you people never seen a cartoon before?

Most people can be characterized and shoved into roles like that, but the ponies are hardly one dimensional stereotypes, as you make them sound. If what you say were true, then "Dragonshy" wouldn't have happened because Fluttershy would have been to shy to stand up to the dragon, "Party of one" wouldn't have happened because Pinkie would have stayed hopelessly optimistic, episode 2 wouldn't have happened because Twilight would have stayed with her books, Episode 14 wouldn't have happened because Rarity wouldn't have cared about anyone else but herself, Rainbow dash wouldn't have lost her cool in "Sonic Rainboom" - I could go on.

While concede that they all do have dominant personality traits as you pointed out, so does everyone in real life. The ponies just happen to have other personality traits and flaws as well, and while I wouldn't compare it to Shakespeare (that comes later in the argument as a last measure if I'm losing) the character development is still far better than most T.V. shows and movies today.

They said I could do anything I wanted to do, so I argue with strangers on the internet.
Ceannairceach wrote:I am looking for a girl with >5% genetic relation to me. Must be dtf, blond, big butt.

The Holy Twig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Twig » Fri May 13, 2011 10:23 am

Unilisia wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:If you don't know what a pony is, I suggest you check into the closest elementary school, stat!

I know what a pony is, but "My Little Pony" sounds like the name of a midget bestiality site and I am not searching it up >_>

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri May 13, 2011 11:04 am

North Suran wrote:There are many things you can compliment this show on, but deep and believable characters is not one of them. Pretty much every single character is characterised and defined by a single trait, which they can also be summed up by (such as Applejack being a South'rn gal or Fluttershy being...well, shy).

As was said, the characters are NOT just defined by a single trait. They actually have character development.

Applejack: Yes, her primary trait is that she's the more down-home focused gal, but then you watch more and realize that she is also relatively selfless (wants to go the Gala, not for her own benefit like the other ponies, but to help her family), but at the same time can be very stubborn (the whole of Applebucking). To be honest, she's not the best example, but even she has char development...

FLuttershy: She seems like she's just going to be standard shy girl, but you watch her more and realize that she is actually kind of arrogant in her abilities (see Philomena incident, thinking she can handle the fillies, etc), and tends to get pissed when things don't go her way. Her shyness is part of who she is, but it's not her only trait.

To be honest, Rarity gets the most development. At first she seems like she's going to just be a shallow fashionista, but as we watch we learn she isn't entierely focused on fashion, she cares about pleasing her friends and making them happy. MOre importantly she is more than capable of taking care of herself.

So yes, it's not Pullitzer material, but you can't watch more than one episode of this series without seeing that the characters of the mane cast do change and develop over time.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri May 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Lubyak wrote:So yes, it's not Pullitzer material, but you can't watch more than one episode of this series without seeing that the characters of the mane cast do change and develop over time.

:lol:
I must ask if that typo was intentional.

Your absolutely right. Rarity is actually large part why I watch the show, you don't see vain characters played like she is, it's very much different then you expect.

Anyways, yeah, it's true it's not the best show, but it's a combination of utter cuteness with significantly above par quality of writing and characters for a cartoon show that make it very watchable. It's the same reason why I like shows like Phineas & Ferb too.
Last edited by The Merchant Republics on Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri May 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Indeed it was. 8)

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:I must ask if that typo was intentional.
I can answer that for Lubyak.

Yes it was. AFAIK a standard wordfilter on ponychan, and general bronie terminology :-p

Edit: Damn, beaten.
Last edited by Nazis in Space on Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timurid Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Timurid Empire » Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm

After watching the first episode, I can not say that this show has enticed me further. I will say, however, that it is a better show then some others I've seen, but I seem to be more of an Adventure Time guy. Cartoons really seem to be in some kind of upswing lately. At least for me.

EDIT: Spelling.
Last edited by Timurid Empire on Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri May 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Timurid Empire wrote:After watching the first episode, I can not say that this show has enticed me further. I will say, however, that it is a better show then some others I've seen, but I seem to be more of an Adventure Time guy. Cartoons really seem to be in some kind of upswing lately. At least for me.

EDIT: Spelling.
The first episode is a decent start and character introduction, but... Not really indicative of the series as a whole. The second episode is... Meh. Heavily cliche'd. Episode 3 is a lot more indicative of what the series is like, though it's from about episode 7 on that the series becomes really good. From that point on, there's only very occasionally a weak episode, most are fantastic.
Last edited by Nazis in Space on Fri May 13, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:I must ask if that typo was intentional.
I can answer that for Lubyak.

Yes it was. AFAIK a standard wordfilter on ponychan, and general bronie terminology :-p

Edit: Damn, beaten.

Dear golly there is a website devoted to this? I'm afraid that steps outside the boundaries of weird for me. :?

I love how show always uses pony where person, people or man/woman should be though, yet another endearing element of cutesiness
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri May 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Yeah, the pony fans got booted out of 4chan for some reason, so they went and started ponychan for their puposes. Their is also Equestria Daily ...really, having your own website isn't that insane.

And I'll echo what was said. Episodes 1 and 2 are good for getting to know the cahracters, but it's beyond that that you get the really good episodes.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Fri May 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Oh, man. I fucking love the ponies. I've watched every episode at least four or five times now, and I've got a playlist of the songs ripped from (most of) the episodes that I frequently listen to, as well.

To add to this recent conversation, I think I'll have to disagree. Yes, Rarity has the most varied personality, but Fluttershy is the most complex, as throughout the series we've seen a bit of her psychology. Taking the episodes Dragonshy, Stare Master, and The Best Night Ever, especially that last one, we see that she almost certainly suffers from bipolar disorder. Normally, she's quiet and reserved, but when things don't go her way, she seriously flips the fuck out. That's really why I like her (aside from the whole almost-criminally-cute thing, obviously). She's a character with a serious mental disorder who isn't seen as either reprehensible or pitiful. Sure, there aren't many vain fashionista characters who aren't total bitches, but there are still a few others out there, and it's not that big of a stretch to imagine, either. However, when they made Fluttershy, instead of slightly altering a common archetype, they completely flipped it on its head and turned it into something totally different.

Of course, that said, I do still love Rarity and put her in the number two spot after Fluttershy because she is still such a refreshing character. She's also got some of the better episodes like Suited For Success, A Dog and Pony Show, and Green Isn't Your Color.

Really, I think the only characters who lack any meaningful development are Twilight and Applejack. Now, Twilight does have some development, but it's more the typical main protagonist kind of development where she learns shit, not so much the development where her character and personality is really expanded. That's why I place the two of them at the bottom of my list. If they were better developed, which I hope they do in season two, then I'd have to reconsider my list and possibly raise them. The others are all perfectly complex characters, though.

In the end, I can understand why people don't like this. It really just has niche appeal among the non-target audience. Sure, it's a rather large niche, but it's still a niche nonetheless. The show really has no plot to speak of. The individual episodes are cliché and predictable. The art style and animation are simplistic (I mean, the show is made in fucking Flash of all things). The only part of the show that isn't mediocre is the lovable characters, giving it the same potential audience as slice-of-life fans, which isn't that surprising as that's pretty much what the show is. The difference is that most slice-of-life doesn't make you question your manhood (unless you're watching something like Azumanga Daioh). There are a lot of insecure guys out there who are ashamed to even look at the color pink, so the only ones who'd watch the show are those secure enough to watch something girly without feeling girly, or, obviously, the guys who do like being girly.

In conclusion, I don't entirely understand this whole "recruitment" effort of the "bronies." There are just some guys out there who aren't manly enough to watch My Little Pony.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction