NATION

PASSWORD

Paradox Games II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Herargon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 am

Tierra Prime wrote:Adding this was time-consuming, but it sure does look good.

http://i.imgur.com/RuKsC1j.jpg

Putin disliked this comment.
Last edited by Herargon on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.
How scifi alliances actually work.

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 am

Monkeykind wrote:
Herargon wrote:

Indeed. Crusader Kings takes place in the following periods (Note: I'm writing the periods as in CK2 terms):

Early Middle Ages (769-1095)

Reason: 769 is the start date, obviously in the early middle ages. 1095 is the year in where the First Crusade was declared. This marked the beginning of new knowledge in Western Europe because crusaders brought exotic food, goods and such into their countries from the Middle East.

High Middle Ages (1095-1347)

Reason: Crusades to the Black Death, which killed appr. 25% of Europe's population. Important because after this pandemic of Yersinia pestis, many people inherited things from their deceased family and thus became richer, and could begin to invest in a new future. And more of such aspects.

Late Middle Ages (1347-1453)

Reason: Black Death Aftermath to the Fall of Constantinople (and the end of the game).

And the start of EUIV.

After all?
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 am

Herargon wrote:
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:Nah, the Dark Ages is another name for the Middle Ages or Early Middle Ages. Basically, the entire time Europe was in a state of regression after the fall of the empire. The time between the empire and the Middle Ages is called the ´Age of Migration´.

Indeed. Crusader Kings takes place in the following periods (Note: I'm writing the periods as in CK2 terms):

Reason: 769 is the start date, obviously in the early middle ages. 1095 is the year in where the First Crusade was declared. This marked the beginning of new knowledge in Western Europe because crusaders brought exotic food, goods and such into their countries from the Middle East.

Reason: Crusades to the Black Death, which killed appr. 25% of Europe's population. Important because after this pandemic of Yersinia pestis, many people inherited things from their deceased family and thus became richer, and could begin to invest in a new future. And more of such aspects.

Reason: Black Death Aftermath to the Fall of Constantinople (and the end of the game).

According to Wikipedia, which is 10 times more accurate than anything Paradox publishes, states that the Early Middle Ages started at the fall of the Western Roman Empire and ran into the fraction of Carolingian Francia and the downfall of the classical Francian Empire as a power. 1001 marks the beginning of the High Middle Ages, and that runs until 1300, where the Late Medieval Age begins, and ends with the fall of Constantinople.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 am

Herargon wrote:

Putin disliked this comment.

Putin would dislike a pan-slavic monarchy? Well colour me surprised.

Monkeykind
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 am

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Herargon wrote:

According to Wikipedia, which is 10 times more accurate than anything Paradox publishes, states that the Early Middle Ages started at the fall of the Western Roman Empire and ran into the fraction of Carolingian Francia and the downfall of the classical Francian Empire as a power. 1001 marks the beginning of the High Middle Ages, and that runs until 1300, where the Late Medieval Age begins, and ends with the fall of Constantinople.

Ah, the Dark Age(Early Middle Age), begins at the beginning of the decline of the Roman Empire, not the fall.

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:29 am

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Herargon wrote:

I am talking as in ''in CK2, the followings periods were these and these'', not talking as in ''the periods in CK2 don't have these dates, but started earlier and ended on later moments/or such''.

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:29 am

Tierra Prime wrote:
Herargon wrote:

Putin would dislike a pan-slavic monarchy? Well colour me surprised.

No, the color pink. :lol:

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:34 am

Herargon wrote:
Tierra Prime wrote:Putin would dislike a pan-slavic monarchy? Well colour me surprised.

Kievan Rus is usually portrayed as a salmon-pink colour on historical maps. I thought about using Russian green but the Empire of Russia already uses it.
Last edited by Tierra Prime on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:37 am

Tierra Prime wrote:
Herargon wrote:

Kievan Rus is usually portrayed as a salmon-pink colour on historical maps. I thought about using Russian green but the Empire of Russia already uses it.

Wait. You can choose which color your new kingdom has in the update?

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:37 am

Here's one of my later experiments (This never made it into the final version, because I remembered the Byzantines signed a treaty with the Bulgarians in 713 which recognised their realm as de jure in CK2 terms).

http://i.imgur.com/n73ozzW.jpg

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:37 am

Herargon wrote:
Tierra Prime wrote:Kievan Rus is usually portrayed as a salmon-pink colour on historical maps. I thought about using Russian green but the Empire of Russia already uses it.

Wait. You can choose which color your new kingdom has in the update?

No, I modded that in as a titular historical title.
Last edited by Tierra Prime on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 am

Monkeykind wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:According to Wikipedia, which is 10 times more accurate than anything Paradox publishes, states that the Early Middle Ages started at the fall of the Western Roman Empire and ran into the fraction of Carolingian Francia and the downfall of the classical Francian Empire as a power. 1001 marks the beginning of the High Middle Ages, and that runs until 1300, where the Late Medieval Age begins, and ends with the fall of Constantinople.

Ah, the Dark Age(Early Middle Age), begins at the beginning of the decline of the Roman Empire, not the fall.

I, ah, turned back the Middle Ages in my 399 AD mod as Gallia, later Regnum Galliarum, and even later, the Imperorum Galliarum.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:52 am

What nation is that in Vorpommern, next to Pomerania, at the southern Baltic Sea?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 am

Jute wrote:

What nation is that in Vorpommern, next to Pomerania, at the southern Baltic Sea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obotrites

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:23 am

Tierra Prime wrote:
Jute wrote:What nation is that in Vorpommern, next to Pomerania, at the southern Baltic Sea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obotrites

Thanks! Also, Estonia is an independent country there, but Russia isn't, or at least not in control of Moscow? That officially would make it my favorite unplayed strategy game at the moment. :lol:
Edit: Is Livonia populated by, well, Livonians, too? That would make it even better.
Last edited by Jute on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:37 am

Jute wrote:

Thanks! Also, Estonia is an independent country there, but Russia isn't, or at least not in control of Moscow? That officially would make it my favorite unplayed strategy game at the moment. :lol:
Edit: Is Livonia populated by, well, Livonians, too? That would make it even better.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus%27

Kievan Rus' was the predecessor to the Russian Monarchy. As for Livonia, they are indeed. Well, Balts. Since Livonians are Balts living in Estonian land.

Edit: sorry, that's wrong. They were Uralic peoples who lived in Baltic land, vice-versa from what I said.
Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:51 am

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Jute wrote:Thanks! Also, Estonia is an independent country there, but Russia isn't, or at least not in control of Moscow? That officially would make it my favorite unplayed strategy game at the moment. :lol:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus%27

Kievan Rus' was the predecessor to the Russian Monarchy. As for Livonia, they are indeed. Well, Balts. Since Livonians are Balts living in Estonian land.

Edit: sorry, that's wrong. They were Uralic peoples who lived in Baltic land, vice-versa from what I said.

Kievan Rus were founded by Scandinavians, specifically Swedish Vikings, though, weren't they? And Livonians are among the closest relatives of Estonians. Is that a mod, or something you can achieve in a normal game?

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:54 am

Jute wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus%27

Kievan Rus were founded by Scandinavians, specifically Swedish Vikings, though, weren't they? And Livonians are among the closest relatives of Estonians. Is that a mod, or something you can achieve in a normal game?

Off-note here:
If you find yourself talking with a Russian, don't mention the fact that their country was founded by Vikings, unless you are seeking for trouble.
I learned it the hard way.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 am

Finland SSR wrote:
Jute wrote:Kievan Rus were founded by Scandinavians, specifically Swedish Vikings, though, weren't they? And Livonians are among the closest relatives of Estonians. Is that a mod, or something you can achieve in a normal game?

Off-note here:
If you find yourself talking with a Russian, don't mention the fact that their country was founded by Vikings, unless you are seeking for trouble.

Heh, I know that. They have their own theory for their origins for that reason.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Jute wrote:
Finland SSR wrote:Off-note here:

Heh, I know that. They have their own theory for their origins for that reason.

By the way, I think Bojikami sometimes comes on this thread.
You should tell him that his nation was founded by thick-skulled pagan pillagers who used it as a roadside Starbucks.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Finland SSR wrote:
Jute wrote:Heh, I know that. They have their own theory for their origins for that reason.

You should tell him that his nation was founded by thick-skulled pagan pillagers who used it as a roadside Starbucks.

He doesn't care. He is one of the most friendly Russians I've ever seen, and that says a lot.

Landenburg
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Landenburg » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Zerinfriom wrote:I think Crusader Kings takes place during the dark ages

I think it is like this

Europa Universalis Rome/ 280 b.c too 27 b.c Roman Empire Era

Crusader Kings II/ 1066 to 1453 Dark Ages or middle ages

Europa Universalis III/ 1399 to 1821 I think

Victoria II/ 1836 to 1836

Hearts of Iron III/ 1836 to 1948

all that is left is for them too make one for the modern era.

also a cold war era one other than Hearts of Iron Two DLC

Might wanna check your dates out there m8
Alas yonder woman, damn you tempt me with thy saucy bosom
thus methinks I shall bestow my codpiece in thee & make naughty love to my lady all night
Please haste hither & quench this torment fairest maiden
get some

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm

So, I've finally got round to continuing my Ironman Lombardy/Italy game.

Things were going badly. I'd lost the Kingdom of Burgundy, my current character was in his 60s and his heir was a child. Needless to say, I attacked Burgundy anyway and won when it happened.

My king died and Santois, a one-province count with a strong claim, invaded. Normally this wouldn't be a problem.

Except I had controlled Santois a few decades ago and had lost it to an adventurer, and that adventurer's 17k strong army was still there, mostly intact. Santois also came with several allies from the Middle Francian blob.

I paused the game, went and got a bottle of Lucozade from the fridge, drank, went back to my computer, face-desked, and then decided I wasn't going to surrender Italy because I had one advantage they didn't; disposable manpower. Event troops don't regenerate; this had been the downfall of many prepared invasions launched by myself, and now I would use it against the AI.

I retreated into Italy, my 10k stack squatting in some mountains whilst Santois and it's allies besieged my holdings in Orleans and the surrounding areas before moving down across Middle Francia to Italy itself. I watched their numbers slowly trickle down as they sieged more provinces and lost more men to attrition. I moved forwards to attack, then halted and retreated further south after their allies moved up.

Then they made a mistake. They attacked me head on in mountains, and they were slaughtered. I won the war, and although I would lose Orleans later I am around 2-3 provinces from forming the HRE after I inherit Bavaria and bash up Aquitane a bit after it threw out the Teutons who used to rule it.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Paketo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Paketo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:19 pm

fuck fuck fuck, do not want. Ethiopia does not want to border ottomans so soon, ottomans too stronk

there is good news though as i have found coptic brothers

and finally full shot of ethiopia right now

http://s14.postimg.org/4gszakar5/2014_11_24_00004.jpg
Last edited by Paketo on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Pinarchist, sue me North Carolina is best Carolina States rights is best rights
Emilio Aguinaldo wrote:
Paketo wrote:
Oh god, the universe will explode, everyone to your bunkers

Yep, this is the type of "discussion" we have over here. Serious people beware, this place is filled with these things.

Bojikami
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bojikami » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Finland SSR wrote:
Jute wrote:Heh, I know that. They have their own theory for their origins for that reason.

Glorious Rossiya is stronk regardless.
Be gay, do crime.
23 year old nonbinary trans woman(She/They), also I'm a Marxist-Leninist.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.33

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction