NATION

PASSWORD

[report] Flaming in The Invaders

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

[report] Flaming in The Invaders

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:49 am

Funkadelia wrote:You are a morally repugnant crypto-fascist who has no place taking part in this game. You should take some time to reflect on yourself and ask if this is really the way you want to be spending your time, then come back when you've found some answers.

Clear enough.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:53 am

Yeah, that's pretty straightforward. viewtopic.php?p=30563638#p30563638
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:22 am

These issues are squarely within the remit of gameplay discussion.

More worried about the basis of the warning, really. Crypto-fascist can't be per-se actionable (especially as a matter for discussion), and moral repugnance … surely not.
Last edited by Guy on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:07 am

Guy wrote:These issues are squarely within the remit of gameplay discussion.

More worried about the basis of the warning, really. Crypto-fascist can't be per-se actionable (especially as a matter for discussion), and moral repugnance … surely not.

*** Warned for spamming Moderation. ***

And, as you well know, we do not take third-party appeals.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Guy
Ambassador

Postby Guy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:30 am

Oh, so this is my supposedly terrible record. I might as well get a second opinion on this one, considering that my "record" has implications on future warnings. (A rather ridiculous proposition - you could argue that more severe punishment is warranted for repeat offenders, but it doesn't make a "borderline" post into rule-breaking.)

Commentary and third-party appeals on moderation rulings had previously been welcomed.

Not only that, but the OSRS states:
Please be aware, that while mods may choose to honor a third-party request for a second opinion at their discretion, they are not required to do so. Formal appeals must be made by the person who was subject of moderator action, and not by a third party. Third-party appeals will not be considered.

My post above was not a formal appeal, according to the appeals process outlined in the OSRS. Hence, I was allowed to bring it forward under the OSRS, but of course not a right to be heard.

Even if the commentary itself is somehow rule-breaking (I don't really see where in the OSRS, but it's perfectly possible that I'm missing something), I think it's quite unduly harsh to get a redtext warning for it, especially in the face of a similar post being deemed to be an acceptable request for second opinion.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:32 am

Guy wrote:Oh, so this is my supposedly terrible record. I might as well get a second opinion on this one, considering that my "record" has implications on future warnings. (A rather ridiculous proposition - you could argue that more severe punishment is warranted for repeat offenders, but it doesn't make a "borderline" post into rule-breaking.)

Commentary and third-party appeals on moderation rulings had previously been welcomed.

Please be aware, that while mods may choose to honor a third-party request for a second opinion at their discretion, they are not required to do so. Formal appeals must be made by the person who was subject of moderator action, and not by a third party. Third-party appeals will not be considered.

This is not a formal appeal, according to the appeals process outlined in the OSRS.

Even if the commentary itself is somehow rule-breaking (I don't really see where in the OSRS, but it's perfectly possible that I'm missing something), I think it's quite unduly harsh to get a redtext warning for it, especially in the face of a similar post being deemed to be an acceptable request for second opinion.

There is no substantial difference between a second opinion from moderation in a report thread, and an appeal. Are you appealing or not?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:40 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Guy wrote:Oh, so this is my supposedly terrible record. I might as well get a second opinion on this one, considering that my "record" has implications on future warnings. (A rather ridiculous proposition - you could argue that more severe punishment is warranted for repeat offenders, but it doesn't make a "borderline" post into rule-breaking.)

This is not a formal appeal, according to the appeals process outlined in the OSRS.

There is no substantial difference between a second opinion from moderation in a report thread, and an appeal. Are you appealing or not?

I think the "this is not a formal appeal" part means the post he originally got warned for wasn't supposed to be a 3rd party appeal.

I am not going to make an official ruling on this, since he was responding to me when he got warned, and I don't think I should have the last word to settle the case in that context.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Guy
Ambassador

Postby Guy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:11 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I think the "this is not a formal appeal" part means the post he originally got warned for wasn't supposed to be a 3rd party appeal.

Correct.

I have edited my post above, hopefully that clarifies it.

My second opinion request boils down to (1) The request for second-opinion above is allowed under the OSRS, contrary to Farnhamia's assertion; (2) Even if my response was extraneous to the report and thus constituted spamming, the red-text warning was an overreaction.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:49 am

I can see why you were warned. The intent of your post may have been to request a second opinion, but the way you worded it (without making clear the request for another look) made it look like an "in my opinion" post, which are not allowed in Report threads, and which we routinely warn for.

You don't have a history of spamming in Moderation, so on this occasion I think it's better handled with a reminder to be clearer on your wording, rather than a warning. I'm therefore granting the appeal of your warning.

In future when requesting a second opinion, or appealing a decision, please clearly label it as such.

With regards to the request for a second opinion, I don't believe the warning should be overturned. In another context, perhaps some of the language could just about have been acceptable, but it was an out of the blue attack on T E Lawrence with no relevance at all to the ongoing discussion. The intent looks to have been to flame.

Guy
Ambassador

Postby Guy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:19 am

Sedgistan wrote:I can see why you were warned. The intent of your post may have been to request a second opinion, but the way you worded it (without making clear the request for another look) made it look like an "in my opinion" post, which are not allowed in Report threads, and which we routinely warn for.

You don't have a history of spamming in Moderation, so on this occasion I think it's better handled with a reminder to be clearer on your wording, rather than a warning. I'm therefore granting the appeal of your warning.

In future when requesting a second opinion, or appealing a decision, please clearly label it as such.

With regards to the request for a second opinion, I don't believe the warning should be overturned. In another context, perhaps some of the language could just about have been acceptable, but it was an out of the blue attack on T E Lawrence with no relevance at all to the ongoing discussion. The intent looks to have been to flame.

I agree that it can definitely be read as an "in my opinion" post. My post reflected a misunderstanding of the reasoning for USS Monitor's decision, being worried that the subject-matter is being ruled out, rather than the post in context.

In any case, I'll be mindful to keep commentary away from Moderation, unless I'm directly asking for a Second Opinion. If my post broke the rule in not doing so, I appreciate the downgrade.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation