NATION

PASSWORD

[Report]Possible Trolling in Poetry Contest

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Schiltzberg
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Report]Possible Trolling in Poetry Contest

Postby Schiltzberg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 pm

I am the OP of the Fall of 2016 Poetry Contest, which has been stickied in the Arts & Fiction forum. To give a summary of the situation, a contestant, whose nation is Thranon had a question about why I (myself being a judge of the contest) judged her entry a certain way, and then a nation called The New World Oceania, who is not signed up for the contest as either a contestant or a judge, stepped in and went on a sort of rant about how everything in my contest is wrong, and he questioned the legitimacy of the contest, the legitimacy of the judges (especially me), and basically just has been a nuisance. The New World Oceania really has no right posting in my thread, since he is not signed up as either a contestant or a judge, so I see it as basically just spam and possibly trolling. I was wondering if the mods could help me out here, because I feel like if this goes on for much longer, my thread is going to collapse. Thank you. Here is a link to where incident originally started: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=393721&p=30550082&sid=5721da176a722e84e8a7117625645cb3#p30550082
Fan of: Baseball, Impractical Jokers, U2, Luxembourg, Chicago Cubs, Bob Dylan
Former President of the World Baseball Classic
Winners of World Baseball Classics 33, 35, 36, and 37
Proud Author of the World Baseball Classic History Factbook
Author of Poems, Poems II, and Poems III
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA
Fan of NationStates and Jennifer Government
SEND ME A TELEGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The people in my songs are all me."

-- Bob Dylan

Officially NationStates' #1 Dylan Fan

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Firstly, she, as indicated in my sig.

Secondly, criticism is an integral part of A&F. I am trying to get you to realize where you can improve. If you're going to refuse to follow the same standards as every other writing contest we've had in the past, it shouldn't be stickied.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Mergloria
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mergloria » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Trolling my ass.

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:49 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:Firstly, she, as indicated in my sig.

Secondly, criticism is an integral part of A&F. I am trying to get you to realize where you can improve. If you're going to refuse to follow the same standards as every other writing contest we've had in the past, it shouldn't be stickied.

Let's let the moderators and administrators have a chance to make a decision. Edit: and I'm sorry that I called you by the wrong gender. I didn't notice your sig.
Last edited by Schiltzberg on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm going to leave this open for the mod who stickied the thread to respond, but this is a valid point: I'm also not clear as to why a stickied thread should be closed.
The New World Oceania wrote:If you're going to refuse to follow the same standards as every other writing contest we've had in the past, it shouldn't be stickied.

This, on the other hand is easier.
Mergloria wrote:Trolling my ass.

*** Warned for spamming Moderation *** Your opinion was both obnoxious and irrelevant. Don't post here unless you're a party to the complaint.

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I'm also not clear as to why a stickied thread should be closed.

It is closed to new entries, since it is now time for the judging of the contest.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 pm

Regardless of the decision here — I have no intention to belabor the point in the thread any further, of course, since I'll admit it's a petty argument I shouldn't have started in that thread in the first place — when USS Monitor gets on we should (in the Writing Discussion, probably) set out guidelines for what contests are going to be stickied. Not every writing contest can be stickied and making it clear what an official contest should look like will prevent this in the future.
Last edited by The New World Oceania on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:58 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:Regardless of the decision here — I have no intention to belabor the point in the thread any further, of course, since I'll admit it's a petty argument I shouldn't have started in that thread in the first place — when USS Monitor gets on we should (in the Writing Discussion, probably) set out guidelines for what contests are going to be stickied. Not every writing contest can be stickied and making it clear what an official contest should look like will prevent this in the future.

I modeled this contest exactly after the short story contests of the past, except for poetry instead of short stories. I do not understand what guidelines I have not followed. You never clarified that.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Schiltzberg wrote:
The New World Oceania wrote:Regardless of the decision here — I have no intention to belabor the point in the thread any further, of course, since I'll admit it's a petty argument I shouldn't have started in that thread in the first place — when USS Monitor gets on we should (in the Writing Discussion, probably) set out guidelines for what contests are going to be stickied. Not every writing contest can be stickied and making it clear what an official contest should look like will prevent this in the future.

I modeled this contest exactly after the short story contests of the past, except for poetry instead of short stories. I do not understand what guidelines I have not followed. You never clarified that.

We've never required stories be written in the short time frame between the start of the contest and the beginning of the judging period, firstly, only that they hadn't been published before. What's more important, though, is that you're asking for a very specific and formal kind of poetry, taking extensive precautions to limit the range of acceptable work, when the most a short story contest has ever done is set a general theme.

Really, you should have just run the idea through the Writing Discussion. All of these issues could have been resolved from the start with community input, and that is the root of it — if it's not a community contest, it just shouldn't be official.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Schiltzberg
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:13 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:I modeled this contest exactly after the short story contests of the past, except for poetry instead of short stories. I do not understand what guidelines I have not followed. You never clarified that.

We've never required stories be written in the short time frame between the start of the contest and the beginning of the judging period, firstly, only that they hadn't been published before. What's more important, though, is that you're asking for a very specific and formal kind of poetry, taking extensive precautions to limit the range of acceptable work, when the most a short story contest has ever done is set a general theme.

Really, you should have just run the idea through the Writing Discussion. All of these issues could have been resolved from the start with community input, and that is the root of it — if it's not a community contest, it just shouldn't be official.

I don't mean to be a bother again, and maybe I should have gone through the Writing Discussion before making this thread, but you also have to understand that I never expected it to get stickied. I thought that maybe five or six people would sign up, and me and two of my friends would judge it, so I never really considered making a big deal about it before I posted the OP. I think that there is a lot of misunderstanding between us.
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA

-- Bob Dylan

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:21 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:Firstly, she, as indicated in my sig.

You've expressed your opinion. Since you don't care to be a part of the contest, knock it off.

viewtopic.php?p=30554966#p30554966
Last edited by Farnhamia on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:25 pm

I went ahead and unstickied this, since the deadline for entries is past. The primary reason for the sticky was to make it visible to potential contestants while entries were open.

As to the dispute between Schiltzberg and NWO, I don't think this contest was terribly different from the old short story contests, and I'm not sure why it sparked this argument.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation