NATION

PASSWORD

[Appeal] Moderator ruling in "An. Former Fox News Host Sues"

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

[Appeal] Moderator ruling in "An. Former Fox News Host Sues"

Postby The Romulan Republic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:59 pm

I wish to appeal a moderator's ruling in the thread "Another Former Fox News Host Sues", and request a second opinion, in accordance with the rules for Appeals.

The ruling in question: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 6&start=25

As you can see, the moderator in question evidently felt that my quoting a post that had been ruled flaming/flamebaiting, and the wording of my response to it, constituted agreement with that post, and that I was therefore also guilty of flaming/flamebaiting, and issued a one-day forum ban which has since expired.

I am not aware of, and was not able to discover upon reviewing the rules thread, any rule prohibiting one from quoting a post that was deemed to be flaming/flamebaiting.

Furthermore, I feel that the reasoning that I was agreeing with the previous flaming/flamebaiting, and was therefore likewise guilty of flaming/flamebaiting, to be a rather tenuous interpretation of my words.

I do recognize that my wording was rather poor and vague, and could be construed as agreeing with the previous flaming, but I do not believe that it was my intent to engage in flaming. Rather, it was more my intent to simply point out that the frequent attacks on feminism on this board cannot be blamed on a single poster.

I was honestly surprised to find action taken against this post.

I am also aware that the rules for Appeals state that an appeal of a forum ban is supposed to be through Getting Help, in order to avoid posting around a forum ban. However, since it was only a one day ban, and well over 24 hours have passed since it was issued, I'm not certain that that's applicable. However, if this was posted in the wrong place, my sincere apologies.

Despite the fact that the ban has expired, I wish to appeal it because I feel that it was unjustified, and do not wish to have an unjustified reprimand stand on my record on this board.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:58 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:I wish to appeal a moderator's ruling in the thread "Another Former Fox News Host Sues", and request a second opinion, in accordance with the rules for Appeals.

As you can see, the moderator in question evidently felt that my quoting a post that had been ruled flaming/flamebaiting, and the wording of my response to it, constituted agreement with that post, and that I was therefore also guilty of flaming/flamebaiting, and issued a one-day forum ban which has since expired.

I am not aware of, and was not able to discover upon reviewing the rules thread, any rule prohibiting one from quoting a post that was deemed to be flaming/flamebaiting.

Furthermore, I feel that the reasoning that I was agreeing with the previous flaming/flamebaiting, and was therefore likewise guilty of flaming/flamebaiting, to be a rather tenuous interpretation of my words.

I do recognize that my wording was rather poor and vague, and could be construed as agreeing with the previous flaming, but I do not believe that it was my intent to engage in flaming. Rather, it was more my intent to simply point out that the frequent attacks on feminism on this board cannot be blamed on a single poster.

I am also aware that the rules for Appeals state that an appeal of a forum ban is supposed to be through Getting Help, in order to avoid posting around a forum ban. However, since it was only a one day ban, and well over 24 hours have passed since it was issued, I'm not certain that that's applicable. However, if this was posted in the wrong place, my sincere apologies.

Despite the fact that the ban has expired, I wish to appeal it because I feel that it was unjustified, and do not wish to have an unjustified reprimand stand on my record on this board.

We have warned like that in the past. Quoting a post deemed to be trolling or flaming in a manner that appears to agree with it is considered trolling or flaming in and of itself. That it wasn't your intention doesn't mitigate the fact that to an uninvolved observed, you were quoting that post because you agreed with it.

Appeal denied.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:58 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:I wish to appeal a moderator's ruling in the thread "Another Former Fox News Host Sues", and request a second opinion, in accordance with the rules for Appeals.

We have warned like that in the past. Quoting a post deemed to be trolling or flaming in a manner that appears to agree with it is considered trolling or flaming in and of itself. That it wasn't your intention doesn't mitigate the fact that to an uninvolved observed, you were quoting that post because you agreed with it.

Appeal denied.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Return to Moderation