NATION

PASSWORD

Annihilation April/May Massacre: Cybersexing Deletions

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Neros
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Neros » Sun May 01, 2016 3:45 pm

North Arkana wrote:
New Neros wrote:Has anyone besides the Admins even seen Max on NS? Surely for a site he lords over, his presence would more hard-felt than acting through the questionable will of Admins and Mods, prone to far more human errors than us normal folk.
New Rob Halfordia wrote:So, because the site rules say no, these secretive documents can't be released by the mods? I ask you, citizens of NS, who writes these rules? That's right. The mods. This entire thing has likely been orchestrated for several years know, the product of a chain of lies that began in times of antiquity. Clearly, the rules were written to cater to this plot. And when madmen define what mad is, how can we know that our best interests are being served unless we see what they describe as madness for ourselves?

Do either of you have anything constructive to add? Or are you just here to post in bad faith? While it's conceivable that moderation set their sights on this set of nations for already known sexually related offences and decided to prioritize this sweep over other things, even that isn't anything like what you're claiming.

We're questioning the legality of Mods doing this to begin with - What are you adding to this conversation besides a post deriding our own discussion?

In the One Stop Rules Shop, we see hardly any mention of rules against this conduct specifically within TGs. Why were they punished as if they were posting for all of NS to see when only two people, and then the Mod, saw it? It's deplorable. Maximum, the offenders should have gotten verbal warnings via TG and then a Telegram Ban, not some circus-side show to present to all of NationStates. The Mods went about this in a shitty way and will not make a comment on it - Why? Why must we abide by rules that aren't set for Telegrams?
Looking for a good time? Horizon Academy is the place to be! | Do Forum Mods dream of sexual DEAT?
Reploid Productions wrote:I have had to read a lot of erotic RP telegrams in the past four months and it does all start to run together into one giant mass of penises, vaginas, breasts, tentacles, dildos, bodily fluids and so on.

New Rob Halfordia
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rob Halfordia » Sun May 01, 2016 3:46 pm

North Arkana wrote:
New Neros wrote:Has anyone besides the Admins even seen Max on NS? Surely for a site he lords over, his presence would more hard-felt than acting through the questionable will of Admins and Mods, prone to far more human errors than us normal folk.
New Rob Halfordia wrote:So, because the site rules say no, these secretive documents can't be released by the mods? I ask you, citizens of NS, who writes these rules? That's right. The mods. This entire thing has likely been orchestrated for several years know, the product of a chain of lies that began in times of antiquity. Clearly, the rules were written to cater to this plot. And when madmen define what mad is, how can we know that our best interests are being served unless we see what they describe as madness for ourselves?

Do either of you have anything constructive to add? Or are you just here to post in bad faith? While it's conceivable that moderation set their sights on this set of nations for already known sexually related offences and decided to prioritize this sweep over other things, even that isn't anything like what you're claiming.

Yeah, I actually do have a serious take on this. What moderation is doing is singling out, and shaming individuals in front of their peers. Where I come from, that's called bullying. Sure, controversy could arise from sexts being sent by minors on a website, but do you know what this public shaming could cause? Self harm by those being bullied. Even suicide. Some people, sadly, don't have much aside from this site. And by slandering them like this, the mods are taking their one retreat from life, and destroying it.
Last edited by New Rob Halfordia on Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siliarba wrote:I stayed out of his way and let him do his thing, but the guy is a monster, a thing worse than cancer that needs to be removed and destroyed.

Kiris the korrupter wrote:Article 1 yb REMOVE new rob halfordia for being annoying cunt new rob halfordia toxic poster rob interaction like injecting toxic into eye

Arkadacia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkadacia » Sun May 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Prolix Debate wrote:
Arkadacia wrote:It was a matter of time before someone came in here saying 'degenerates'. I'm astounded it took as long as it did.

It is an apt word to use, Unless you would like to prove me wrong.

It makes you sound like a condescending, holier-than-thou sort who has a superiority complex, honestly.

People do dirty shit all the time, you're not automatically superior to people who've done this.
Now a feckin' babysitter, evidently.

Eclius
Senator

Founded: Oct 24, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eclius » Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm

How disturbing, using Nation States as a website to spread sexually explicit texts. Those people should be imprisoned for their crimes >:( >:(
Last edited by Eclius on Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We do NOT use NS stats since it's not the most accurate reflection
Eclisian Herald News Network
||Local man sent to hospital after eating a pack of 14 years old Kraft mac'n cheese||Schools to resume operation in coming weeks||All domestic flights resumed||10% off vacation to Democratic East Asia today, book yours today!||

Prolix Debate
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Prolix Debate » Sun May 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Prolix Debate wrote:
Why would you oppose the cleaning of this non-OKCupid forum from degenerate and immature acts?

I don't want to see over PG-13 content on the forums, but in honesty, if it's between adults in privacy, I don't mind.

Regardless, I know Max sets the Rules and there's liability concerns. Fine. I get it. But dammit, his could've been handled a lot better. This is deplorable.

Well, they should have known by now that telegrams are easily accessible by admins... if anything, they should have used another message service. but I do see your point.

Arkadacia wrote:
Prolix Debate wrote:
It is an apt word to use, Unless you would like to prove me wrong.

It makes you sound like a condescending, holier-than-thou sort who has a superiority complex, honestly.

People do dirty shit all the time, you're not automatically superior to people who've done this.

It seems that you have resorted to inflammatory comments, rather than actually giving any evidence. Meh.

Also, "people doing dirty shit all the time" is not an automatic excuse for those who wish to enact their fanfiction fantasies on one another via messaging on a nation roleplaying game.
P R O L I X D E B A T E
My best political inclination is towards Clerical Fascism.
Is it a crime to not support degeneracy; or is it a mere response to an existing taboo that originates from human biological and mental error?

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun May 01, 2016 3:50 pm

New Neros wrote:Nowhere in that job description is trolling through TGs, lusting for bannable offenses. What is stopping a Mod from going through TGs between a rival game region besides their "integrity"?

Every use of mod powers to view TGs must be accompanied by a valid reason, which is logged along with the TG viewing and available for admins (and probably other mods) to view. Now, I got that from a mod or admin (don't remember who), and if that makes the info questionable, then there's really no answer to give, because none of us normal people know how the mod powers work (except for former mods like DLN). Other than that, that should be an adequate discouragement to abuse. Mods can't just punch in numbers and go browsing TGs like one browses the forum.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

New Rob Halfordia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Rob Halfordia » Sun May 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Eclius wrote:How disturbing, using Nation States as a website to spread sexually explicit texts. Those people should be imprisoned for their crimes >:( >:(

A prime example of what I just brought up. This person knows nothing about the convicted, other than some embarrassing private facts. But now, he insults and wishes imprisonment upon them. The people who sent those questionable TGs are decent people, but now, they face bullying and harassment by those meant to protect them. The moderation team needs to be held accountable for their actions.
Siliarba wrote:I stayed out of his way and let him do his thing, but the guy is a monster, a thing worse than cancer that needs to be removed and destroyed.

Kiris the korrupter wrote:Article 1 yb REMOVE new rob halfordia for being annoying cunt new rob halfordia toxic poster rob interaction like injecting toxic into eye

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun May 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Prolix Debate wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:I don't want to see over PG-13 content on the forums, but in honesty, if it's between adults in privacy, I don't mind.

Regardless, I know Max sets the Rules and there's liability concerns. Fine. I get it. But dammit, his could've been handled a lot better. This is deplorable.

Well, they should have known by now that telegrams are easily accessible by admins... if anything, they should have used another message service. but I do see your point.

Arkadacia wrote:It makes you sound like a condescending, holier-than-thou sort who has a superiority complex, honestly.

It seems that you have resorted to inflammatory comments, rather than actually giving any evidence. Meh.

Also, "people doing dirty shit all the time" is not an automatic excuse for those who wish to enact their fanfiction fantasies on one another via messaging on a nation roleplaying game.

I understand that, but certain comments in this thread by mods on this investigation were hardly necessary and to be honest, were completely unprofessional.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun May 01, 2016 3:52 pm

New Rob Halfordia wrote:
Eclius wrote:How disturbing, using Nation States as a website to spread sexually explicit texts. Those people should be imprisoned for their crimes >:( >:(

A prime example of what I just brought up. This person knows nothing about the convicted, other than some embarrassing private facts. But now, he insults and wishes imprisonment upon them. The people who sent those questionable TGs are decent people, but now, they face bullying and harassment by those meant to protect them. The moderation team needs to be held accountable for their actions.

I agree wholeheartedly. Now I don't need the TG's to be released, but DOS over something like this is really weird.

New Rob Halfordia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Rob Halfordia » Sun May 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
New Rob Halfordia wrote:A prime example of what I just brought up. This person knows nothing about the convicted, other than some embarrassing private facts. But now, he insults and wishes imprisonment upon them. The people who sent those questionable TGs are decent people, but now, they face bullying and harassment by those meant to protect them. The moderation team needs to be held accountable for their actions.

I agree wholeheartedly. Now I don't need the TG's to be released, but DOS over something like this is really weird.

tbh, I was just trying to make light of the situation and parody the (most recent) Clinton scandal with that release the TGs thing.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun May 01, 2016 3:55 pm

New Rob Halfordia wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:I agree wholeheartedly. Now I don't need the TG's to be released, but DOS over something like this is really weird.

tbh, I was just trying to make light of the situation and parody the (most recent) Clinton scandal with that release the TGs thing.

I thought so, but hey, you can never be certain

New Rob Halfordia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Rob Halfordia » Sun May 01, 2016 3:56 pm

My true opinions align with this:
New Rob Halfordia wrote:Yeah, I actually do have a serious take on this. What moderation is doing is singling out, and shaming individuals in front of their peers. Where I come from, that's called bullying. Sure, controversy could arise from sexts being sent by minors on a website, but do you know what this public shaming could cause? Self harm by those being bullied. Even suicide. Some people, sadly, don't have much aside from this site. And by slandering them like this, the mods are taking their one retreat from life, and destroying it.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun May 01, 2016 3:58 pm

New Rob Halfordia wrote:My true opinions align with this:
New Rob Halfordia wrote:Yeah, I actually do have a serious take on this. What moderation is doing is singling out, and shaming individuals in front of their peers. Where I come from, that's called bullying. Sure, controversy could arise from sexts being sent by minors on a website, but do you know what this public shaming could cause? Self harm by those being bullied. Even suicide. Some people, sadly, don't have much aside from this site. And by slandering them like this, the mods are taking their one retreat from life, and destroying it.

Well said.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 01, 2016 4:05 pm

New Rob Halfordia wrote:My true opinions align with this:

I agree.

When my first nation was deleted, back in 2013, I felt actively and properly depressed over that. It actually did cause me to drink more, and for someone who drinks like I do, that's verging on the dangerous, namely because NS was a major escape from life, which at that point for me was shitty (first deletion was over something I did when I was doped up on antidepressents after just losing my sight, to put it in context.)

Now, this deletion was handled farely professionally: I think it was extreme in the highest, but I can't fault its professionality: the appeals were sorted out, I got all my reasons, and it was all done over tgs. Nowhere on the forums did the mods attempt to destroy my reputation (I'd done a pretty good job of doing that myself, but still), and nowhere did they even say why I was deleted. You know that thing about not telling people why someone was deleted? Yeah, that one? It's been put their for a reason guys, it's so that people don't end up getting seriously harmed because they've ad whatever they've done on ns dragged through the mud by the mods.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Aerosimba
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aerosimba » Sun May 01, 2016 4:08 pm

I don't think I can describe how happy I am about this. I'll admit, I was involved in some of this around two years ago, when I was underaged. Two of the people on this list manipulated me into sexual situations in our conversations, bear in mind I was pretty young, I felt I'd lose my only friends if I refused. Since it was so long ago I'm pretty sure none of our telegrams were the ones they were banned for, and I'm not going to name either because all proof is gone. Obviously this isn't my old account, because I'm still scared of them finding me, but I just want to have my gratitude known. This site is a little more safe for me and others now. Thank you to all the mods involved.

Great Feng
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sun May 01, 2016 4:09 pm

All I'm worried about is this:
I put several links to erm, erotic stuff(I mean links to certain pics or sites) in a few "drafts" I have made personally so I can access the links whenever I need to. It's what I do with non-erotic stuff anyway. In fact, anything I need to noccasionally copy and paste, you can find in my many drafts that I never intend to post, and use them as sources for links to certain stuff or as stuff to paste things I may tell others later, and you can find many random links and stuff in those drafts, as they're not organized at all, so many random stuff are put in there simply because it's easy to find them there since I'm on NS the most.
Could I be punished for that?

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Sun May 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Prolix Debate wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:I don't want to see over PG-13 content on the forums, but in honesty, if it's between adults in privacy, I don't mind.

Arkadacia wrote:It makes you sound like a condescending, holier-than-thou sort who has a superiority complex, honestly.

I'd like to hear you try to describe the Portal to the Multiverse board, mate. Nationstates is not simply a "nation roleplaying game", as you so eloquently put it.
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun May 01, 2016 4:11 pm

Aerosimba wrote:I don't think I can describe how happy I am about this. I'll admit, I was involved in some of this around two years ago, when I was underaged. Two of the people on this list manipulated me into sexual situations in our conversations, bear in mind I was pretty young, I felt I'd lose my only friends if I refused. Since it was so long ago I'm pretty sure none of our telegrams were the ones they were banned for, and I'm not going to name either because all proof is gone. Obviously this isn't my old account, because I'm still scared of them finding me, but I just want to have my gratitude known. This site is a little more safe for me and others now. Thank you to all the mods involved.

Why not report this to the mods to sort out your situation?

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sun May 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Aerosimba wrote:I don't think I can describe how happy I am about this. I'll admit, I was involved in some of this around two years ago, when I was underaged. Two of the people on this list manipulated me into sexual situations in our conversations, bear in mind I was pretty young, I felt I'd lose my only friends if I refused. Since it was so long ago I'm pretty sure none of our telegrams were the ones they were banned for, and I'm not going to name either because all proof is gone. Obviously this isn't my old account, because I'm still scared of them finding me, but I just want to have my gratitude known. This site is a little more safe for me and others now. Thank you to all the mods involved.

i'm pretty sure that TGs are stored forever. they should be bale to find them if you report the incident.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Aerosimba
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aerosimba » Sun May 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

Because I was being groomed to not do that. I no longer have a problem, and simply wanted to say thank you in a way less intimidating for me than a direct telegram.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun May 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

Indeed.

That is what the mods are for: looking at reports and acting on them.
They're not their to trawl through players inboxes seemingly in the hope of finding something.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun May 01, 2016 4:29 pm

Coraspia wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Why not report this to the mods to sort out your situation?

Indeed.

They're not their to trawl through players inboxes seemingly in the hope of finding something.

The purpose of such mods is to make sure such things don't happen and that US Marshals don't extradite Max Barry for the poor behavior of users on his site.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun May 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Coraspia wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Why not report this to the mods to sort out your situation?

Indeed.

Randomly trawling through player's inboxes? That's not how I remember it...

Reploid Productions wrote:What began at the end of 2015 as a fairly routine inappropriate content report

Oh, look. It seems that this investigation was started by a mod looking at a report and acting on it! I'm also fairly sure that Reppy said something like, "We didn't go looking for this stuff, but we can't just ignore it when it's found."
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Sun May 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Good grief, I missed a lot overnight.

First off, a partial apology for choice of wording. There was plenty of vanilla penis-in-vagina sexting going on in the offending material, my use of the term "non-heteronormative kinks" in the list was to try and avoid using a more common and impossible-to-SafeSearch term for a variety of that which I didn't want curious minds Googling. I can assure everyone that I was equally displeased by ALL the varieties of pornographic content I found, be it vanilla, kinky, straight, gay, trans, non-human, and so on. Kinks and erotic fanworks happen, I know that and am fine with that. Not my personal cup of tea but for those who enjoy it, good for them. The problem is that such things have no place here on Nationstates, period.

This is the process for how the entire investigation and final decisions were made:

1) We received a report from a player about another player posting inappropriate material. I went to investigate said report.

2) In the process of investigating said report, I came across a regular mess of said player cybering with multiple other players, thus implicating them.

3) As previously mentioned, this is not something we specifically go seeking. Tens of thousands of TGs are sent on any given day, and the overwhelming majority of them are rules-abiding and perfectly innocent player communications. Randomly TG hunting on the off chance of finding OMG TEH PRONZ is nothing but a massive waste of time for nothing. When we blunder on it, however, by order of the boss we cannot ignore it. Especially when its graphic sexual material potentially involving underage players. While investigating those found from the initial cybering discovery, I ended up finding more and more participants. Pretty sure had I done a completely comprehensive investigation of all TGs sent by all involved puppets instead of merely going back to the start of 2016 on the puppets found cybering that there would be a lot more names on that list. Thankfully, my initial "Oh shit, pedo alert!" panic proved not to be the case, and the situation quickly became pretty clear to be just a bunch of horny teens and young adults being, well, horny teens and young adults.

4) Once I finished the investigation, I made up a list of suggested punishments and threw it to the team for further review, precisely because I knew after having read all of that porn that I was probably not the best one to actually determine who gets hit and how hard; in addition, such a large-scale situation should not be ruled on by a single moderator anyway. The team discussed my suggestions and the evidence, and made their own changes to the punishment schedule (the final one is notably far more lenient than my initial suggestion; my original recommendation was full puppetsweeps of everyone caught cybering as the minimum punishment level,) which was put to a vote. It was also decided, given the sheer scope of the cybering ring and knowing not everyone who had been participating had been caught that the best way to send a very strong message and discourage further such behavior was to name-and-shame; with the added benefit of pre-empting the inevitable barrage of "Why was so-and-so deleted?!" and keeping the upset and anger in one central location.

Pornographic content has been an instant-deletion offense in almost all cases since we first got mods in 2003. That it was "just one time" or "was a few months ago" does not change this. It's right there in the top-level FAQ and rules that the One Stop Rules Shop is built on, and more specifically noted in the OSRS we use the US movie rating "PG-13" standard, specifically noting that excessive/explicit sexual content will not be allowed.

Plus, engaging in such material on site leaves you (rhetorical you, not any specific you) vulnerable to some truly nasty mods-as-weapons crap. That can and has happened where someone baits another player into engaging in such material and then runs crying to the mods about obscene material. Players who have been caught doing so have gotten slammed pretty hard for it, but that does not magically excuse the other party for taking the bait. Aside from our rules, take that stuff off site and use some common sense for your own safety!

All that being said, I am about to go modify the OP to fix some of that problematic wording. Then I am going to trawl all 20+ pages of the thread for the flaming/gloating.

~Evil Forum Empress Rep Prod the Ninja Mod
~She who wields the Banhammer; master of the mighty moderation no-dachi Kiritateru Teikoku
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Sun May 01, 2016 10:14 pm

Apologies for the delay. Got distracted by some IRL stuff that jammed up the works.

First, the thread trawl:
New Grestin wrote:depravity
New Grestin wrote:depravities
Tom Vasentius HYDRA wrote:a bunch of perverts
Prolix Debate wrote:degenerate
Zaurell wrote:filth
Neu Engollon wrote:depravity
Major-Tom wrote:such a myriad of filth
Major-Tom wrote:There is no justification for using telegrams as a place to share one's disgusting, perverted variants of "porn."

The moral implications of pornographic material is not the subject of the thread, and comments like these alternatively veer in between gloating and flaming/baiting. You can express your shock and dismay about players posting such content without the namecalling. Quit it.

Empire of Narnia wrote:It creeps me out knowing how may of those people I chatted with and considered normal players.

Once again, the normalcy or lack thereof regarding erotic content is not the topic. Lots of people like porn, that's not the problem. The problem is that such was being posted here, in violation of the site's rules.

Tinfect wrote:You know, for Korona, I'm not all that surprised. Guy was always sort of off.

You've kept a clean record since the middle of last year. Korona may be DOSed now, but comments like this are both gloating and flamey. Knock it off.

Nintendo Landia wrote:illegal predatory behaviour against underage players..

Which is not what happened. What happened was a bunch of teenagers/young adults of similar ages posting erotic material to one another. Had we found evidence of actual predatory behavior, this would have been kept quiet due to law enforcement involvement. *** WARNED for gloating/flamebaiting ***

Serdian New Zealland wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuKzt7p-MnM

Spamming a link to a flamebaity video clip serves precisely zero purpose. Knock it off.
New Tuva SSR wrote:these were F7 posters with seemingly nothing better to do

*** One-day ban for trolling. ***

Eliot Isaraider II wrote:Does anybody happen to have a spoon that I can borrow to gouge my eyes out after reading this?

Which isn't helping and comes across in the overall context of the thread as being baity/gloaty. Knock it off.

New Rob Halfordia wrote:I am calling for the Mods to release the TGs. What are they hiding? Who are they protecting? There is obviously a larger conspiracy at hand here. These sexual deviants are merely a distraction, a tool being used by the powers that be. For all we know, these agregious crimes never even occured, and are merely being framed. The only way we can be sure that the mods have our best interests at heart is if the TGs are made public, so we can confirm what they say is true. They wouldn't be hiding them if there wasn't something to hide.

#Sexghazi

New Neros wrote: lusting for bannable offenses.

*** New Neros, New Rob Halfordia, warned for spamming/flamebaiting ***

Eclius wrote:Those people should be imprisoned for their crimes

Once again, the legality of pornography is not the topic of the thread. The only problem is that such material was being posted here, where it is not permitted, and potentially involving underage users. Knock it off.

Opplandia wrote:Ive read over a few War-Rp´s in these forums which contented pretty graphic descriptions of wounds, gore and some other stuff that would push them beyond the (inacceptable) PG-13 rule; without the ppl getting as much as a warning. On the other hand now those ppl have been deleted, for a different form of PG-13 related stuff. By all understanding, it´s actually hard not to call this hypocritic.

If you've seen material that you feel may be in excess of the PG-13 limit, please report it in Moderation, and include links to the specific post(s) you wish to report.

Ranko Kanzaki wrote:I'm just absolutely f****** livid right now

Which is understandable, and is why I highly recommend folks step away from the computer when they're upset rather than post while in the heat of the moment.

And this, right here, is precisely why we had to land on this as hard and as visibly as we did. This site has a lot of younger users, impressionable kids and teens who should never be put into a situation like this where someone can use peer pressure and threat of being disliked to try and coerce them into doing things they're uncomfortable with or otherwise should not be doing.

With all that out of the way, some additional housekeeping.

Thread is staying locked and will be unpinned momentarily- the intended high-visibility "THIS IS BAD STOP DOING IT!" effect has been adequately accomplished. Those who wish to continue baying for blood over my admittedly crappy wording of the original announcement can do so over here in Moderation; there are plenty of quotes in this thread of the original version, and besides that the complete original version is also copied into the evidence collection thread over in the sekrit lair. The boss will not have any issue finding and reviewing the unedited one. For the record, I am not and will not be reading that forum thread; as the primary target of discussion, it is probably better that I avoid it outright and leave it to my colleagues and/or [v]. I imagine when Max and/or [violet] is next online and has a chance to catch up, I'll probably get yelled at for the hasty original wording, and I shall endeavor to avoid mixing tongue-in-cheek snark with Srs Bizness in the future.

For those who were directly involved, appeals go to the Getting Help page. There is no problem with using the forums, you're only prohibited from sending telegrams. Other players can send you telegrams, you just won't be able to reply. I imagine folks are already using forum threads over in F7 and such to set up alternative communications channels; this is also okay. Unfortunately, I tried to see if there was a tool over in the ACP to recover saved drafts from deleted nations, but it appears that there is no way for me to do this.

For this round of "Mods can read TGs WAT?!": Yes. Moderation can view telegrams. We cannot do so willy-nilly however, as there is a text box where a reason MUST be listed for the snoop. This reason (most often a GHR task number or link to a mod forum thread) is logged in the moderator logs, which moderators cannot edit or delete. These logs are regularly reviewed by the boss, so just entering gibberish will not fly. As has been explained previously, we don't go looking for erotic material in TGs. Tens of thousands of TGs are sent out every single day, with the overwhelming majority of them being perfectly rules-abiding communications. The odds of actually finding rulebreaking material via random spot checks are negligible; too many TGs, too few mods, and too many other, more useful things to spend our limited mod time working on.

Once again, my apologies to those affected for the crappy wording. That was poorly thought out on my part, despite the very real dire seriousness of the situation. The investigation had been going for four months already, it no doubt could have sat for a few more days to get far more feedback than it did at that hour, and probably at least one "Reppy, this bit. Get rid of this bit you dumbass."

To those who were caught up in the bust and are being remarkably calm about it, thank you. It's a crappy situation to be in, but it is immensely appreciated that there are those who can own and accept that they messed up and will learn from it. I knew when this situation broke, it was going to be a shitstorm no matter how it was worded; there's just no good way to say "BTW, all these people got toasted for cybersexing via TG, THIS IS BAD DON'T DO IT!"

For those sending me sympathetic TGs and messages about the things I've seen during the investigation, the thought is appreciated, but really it was less "OH GOD MY EYES" horror and more "Oh my god, another name for the list will it ever end?!" frustration. I've been active in fandom since the 90s. I've seen and stumbled across plenty of really badly written porn before Nationstates was even a thing.

[TONGUE IN CHEEEK]I'm not apologizing for coining the term "penis hydra" though. It's just too perfect a description for the investigation process.[/TONGUE IN CHEEK]

~Evil Forum Empress Rep Prod the Ninja Mod
~She who wields the Banhammer; master of the mighty moderation no-dachi Kiritateru Teikoku
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation