NATION

PASSWORD

Gravedigging

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Bindabos
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Gravedigging

Postby Bindabos » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm a little confused about the gravedigging rules in the NationStates forums. I know gravedigging is against the rules (I found out today, after finally reading through a good portion of the One Stop Rules Shop thread. I may have gravedug a few threads previously before I knew better, depending on what constitutes gravedigging), but it seems hard to find information on what exactly is considered gravedigging. The following is the information on gravedigging as it is written there:

Gravedigging: Posting a reply on a long unused thread. Adding legitimate new material is permitted, but the acceptable age varies from forum to forum. Check the stickies in each forum to determine the standard for what constitutes gravedigging.

Firstly, what is considered legitimate material? If I found a post by searching for information on an issue on Google, pick the thread that best addresses the question or issue I have, and post in it with a question or information I have about the issue, is that considered legitimate? If not, that seems a real shame, because it basically makes all the power and function of Google is useless to help with genuine questions, information, or comments. Should I start a new thread with my question instead? It seems like that would be less desirable, because then the forum would get bloated with multiple threads about the same issues.

Secondly, where exactly in the forum is the information regarding this located? The information from the thread quoted above says to check the forum stickies. I'm not really sure what threads are stickied (because none of them are labeled as such, either with words, images, or a mouse hover affect as far as I can tell), but I'm guessing it must be the threads labeled announcements, because they appear at the top of the page, and that's usually how stickies are designed to work; by placing the important posts at the top of the page so you have immediate access. I looked in a few of those, and couldn't seem to find any information regarding what constitutes gravedigging.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Go to a list of threads. If you see a lightbulb-shaped icon to the left of the title, the thread is a sticky. If you see a circle, the thread is not a sticky. You'll notice that the threads with lightbulbs never fall from the top of the list, which shows that they are stickies.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Bindabos
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Bindabos » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't notice any rules regarding gravedigging after looking through several of them, however, and would still like some clarification on that, and what constitutes a legitimate reason, when someone in the know gets a chance.
Last edited by Bindabos on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:58 pm

I'll assume this is considered a question thread, so I hope I can post here.

Bindabos wrote:Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't notice any rules regarding gravedigging after looking through several of them, however, and would still like some clarification on that, and what constitutes a legitimate reason, when someone in the know gets a chance.

I don't know if they have it written down somewhere, but essentially, it's reviving any obviously dead thread. It mostly depends on the forum; gravedigging is generally most strict in the General subforum, where I think the grace period is two months since the last post made before posting again would be considered gravedigging; possibly the same with Arts and Fiction, but don't quote me on that. I think it's longer on most roleplay subforums, though it should generally be obvious when reviving a dead roleplay would be pointless. Meanwhile, any thread on Factbooks and National Information can be revived at any time without repercussions... I think.

The only legitimate reasons I've seen are when requests to the mods are made, and these are generally only accepted if there's new information to add. Though, I think the language discussion threads, and maybe the religion discussion threads, can be revived at any time without penalty.
Quranist, Pan-Islamist Muslim
Syndicalist, Councilist, Environmentalist, and Regionalist! Gay and proud!
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview
All credit for the flag to Slovenya
Factbooks>NS stats, but stats form a reference point

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Bindabos wrote:I'm a little confused about the gravedigging rules in the NationStates forums. I know gravedigging is against the rules (I found out today, after finally reading through a good portion of the One Stop Rules Shop thread. I may have gravedug a few threads previously before I knew better, depending on what constitutes gravedigging), but it seems hard to find information on what exactly is considered gravedigging. The following is the information on gravedigging as it is written there:

Gravedigging: Posting a reply on a long unused thread. Adding legitimate new material is permitted, but the acceptable age varies from forum to forum. Check the stickies in each forum to determine the standard for what constitutes gravedigging.

Firstly, what is considered legitimate material? If I found a post by searching for information on an issue on Google, pick the thread that best addresses the question or issue I have, and post in it with a question or information I have about the issue, is that considered legitimate? If not, that seems a real shame, because it basically makes all the power and function of Google is useless to help with genuine questions, information, or comments. Should I start a new thread with my question instead? It seems like that would be less desirable, because then the forum would get bloated with multiple threads about the same issues.

Secondly, where exactly in the forum is the information regarding this located? The information from the thread quoted above says to check the forum stickies. I'm not really sure what threads are stickied (because none of them are labeled as such, either with words, images, or a mouse hover affect as far as I can tell), but I'm guessing it must be the threads labeled announcements, because they appear at the top of the page, and that's usually how stickies are designed to work; by placing the important posts at the top of the page so you have immediate access. I looked in a few of those, and couldn't seem to find any information regarding what constitutes gravedigging.

The rule I use for General is four weeks. If there hasn't been a new post in that time, leave it be. The standard is different in other areas but it's not a bad rule of thumb. If you really think an old thread should be revived, come ask about it in Moderation. You can also start a new one and quote or link the OP of the old one.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bindabos
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Bindabos » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:46 am

The rule I use for General is four weeks. If there hasn't been a new post in that time, leave it be. The standard is different in other areas but it's not a bad rule of thumb. If you really think an old thread should be revived, come ask about it in Moderation. You can also start a new one and quote or link the OP of the old one.

Excellent, that helps a lot! I'll refrain from reviving old threads, and just start a new one for questions in the future. Thank you.
Last edited by Bindabos on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Moderation