NATION

PASSWORD

Forum too restrictive

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Almops
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Forum too restrictive

Postby Almops » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:08 pm

I've had an easier - but longer - time boosting my economy, civil rights, and political freedom ratings, but not the ones listed on the rankings. Not everyone I telegram respond - those that I do I appreciate - making it hard to find the right help. When they don't respond, I'm forced to ask other people - and I come upon the issue of inadvertently spamming someone.

The Gameplay board is for asking about issues and game related stuff. I'm not breaking any rules by doing this - many other people have made topics on this and I have supplied a list of these topics at the end of my post. Nations are experimental, experiments are collaborative. The point of the game is to have fun, not be prevented from having fun. It doesn't matter if someone gets corrupted political freedoms because they asked someone for help. That's the point. It even makes a closer community, because nations view people who helped them in a friendlier light, rather, if their topics keep getting locked by moderators it makes them frustrated, therefore less likely to listen to the rules in the future.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with asking for help. Spam is posting consistent, pointless, nonsensical, and useless stuff like "wuyefvwbfhvbeVYTF". Asking for help is not spam. Imagine how small this forum would be if all the threads where nations asked for help didn't exist.

It could be viewed as an educational opportunity if need be. This is an educational game. When you ask for help and see that the results are wrong or right, you learn more about governments. Wasn't NationStates designed to help people with that, along with having fun? I believe so.

These posts don't break any rules. I don't know why they are so concerning to the moderators.

Here is the list of threads of people asking for help, as I promised.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39588&start=0
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... =13&t=5326
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=375727
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35107
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 3&t=350557
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5352
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 3&t=345112
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=101082
Last edited by Almops on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~NationStates is on your side~

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Almops wrote:I've had an easier - but longer - time boosting my economy, civil rights, and political freedom ratings, but not the ones listed on the rankings. Not everyone I telegram respond - those that I do I appreciate - making it hard to find the right help. When they don't respond, I'm forced to ask other people - and I come upon the issue of inadvertently spamming someone.

The Gameplay board is for asking about issues and game related stuff. I'm not breaking any rules by doing this - many other people have made topics on this and I have supplied a list of these topics at the end of my post. Nations are experimental, experiments are collaborative. The point of the game is to have fun, not be prevented from having fun. It doesn't matter if someone gets corrupted political freedoms because they asked someone for help. That's the point. It even makes a closer community, because nations view people who helped them in a friendlier light, rather, if their topics keep getting locked by moderators it makes them frustrated, therefore less likely to listen to the rules in the future.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with asking for help. Spam is posting consistent, pointless, nonsensical, and useless stuff like "wuyefvwbfhvbeVYTF". Asking for help is not spam. Imagine how small this forum would be if all the threads where nations asked for help didn't exist.

It could be viewed as an educational opportunity if need be. This is an educational game. When you ask for help and see that the results are wrong or right, you learn more about governments. Wasn't NationStates designed to help people with that, along with having fun? I believe so.

These posts don't break any rules. I don't know why they are so concerning to the moderators.

Here is the list of threads of people asking for help, as I promised.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39588&start=0
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... =13&t=5326
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=375727
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35107
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 3&t=350557
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5352
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 3&t=345112
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=101082

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. You have almost no posts in Gameplay, the vast majority of your contributions are in various "above nation" threads in Forum 7. There does seem to have been a little flurry over your sister's accounts, a couple of which she lost due to rules violations. So, again, what is it you find too restrictive?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Almops
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Almops » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:40 am

Sedgistan has locked topics I've made on other nations asking for help - Asininity I asked to boost my black market, Almops I asked how to improve my nation, all locked.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Almops wrote:Sedgistan has locked topics I've made on other nations asking for help - Asininity I asked to boost my black market, Almops I asked how to improve my nation, all locked.

Show me the threads.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Ultimate Sacrifice
Attaché

Founded: Jun 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ultimate Sacrifice » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=369140
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=370194

Where Sedge didn't tell you to stop asking for help, but instead asked you to keep all of your posts in one thread, rather than a separate thread for each nation.

Almops
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Almops » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:09 pm

Not really, he basically told me to stop doing it and locked all threads. I doubt Sedge would want me to keep it to one thread, considering it would be one thread devoted to a bunch of extremes like "how do I become an anarchy?" and "how do I become a dictatorship?"

I know the answer to the dictatorship one, but the example is still relevant.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Almops wrote:Not really, he basically told me to stop doing it and locked all threads. I doubt Sedge would want me to keep it to one thread, considering it would be one thread devoted to a bunch of extremes like "how do I become an anarchy?" and "how do I become a dictatorship?"

I know the answer to the dictatorship one, but the example is still relevant.

What Sedge said was, "You've posted threads on pretty much all your other nations asking for advice on improving their stats. At this point, I'm going to start locking any more you post, and suggest you stick to just one of your existing ones for further. Beyond that, it's up to you to experiment with actually playing the game to work out how to achieve your goals." That doesn't sound at all like "Stop posting these questions." He does say that you might do better experimenting and figuring things out for yourself rather than asking people for help, that sort of being the point of the game. I myself went through a time when I rolled dice to pick an answer to the issues I faced. You get some amusing results with that.

Almops
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Almops » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 pm

It is okay to suggest that but it's perfectly fine and not against the rules to ask questions, so why try to force your suggestions by locking them? I actually have experimented a lot. I have about uh 20 nations...

Yeah I like experimenting a little too much. I know other nations have more then one but I have no idea if 20 is normal.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by Almops on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Almops wrote:It is okay to suggest that but it's perfectly fine and not against the rules to ask questions, so why try to force your suggestions by locking them? I actually have experimented a lot. I have about uh 20 nations...

Yeah I like experimenting a little too much. I know other nations have more then one but I have no idea if 20 is normal.

Don't judge me.

But asking questions for every single nation in separate threads, to me, is rather cluttersom.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:26 am

Shazbotdom wrote:
Almops wrote:It is okay to suggest that but it's perfectly fine and not against the rules to ask questions, so why try to force your suggestions by locking them? I actually have experimented a lot. I have about uh 20 nations...

Don't judge me.

But asking questions for every single nation in separate threads, to me, is rather cluttersom.

Precisely this. ^

As the questions are all of a similar vein, it's reasonable to consolidate your queries into one mega-thread, Almops.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Almops
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Almops » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:02 am

I guess that could work, but the problem is, oftentimes when I ask multiple questions at once not all get answered.
Last edited by Almops on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:42 am

Almops wrote:I guess that could work, but the problem is, oftentimes when I ask multiple questions at once not all get answered.

That's how it goes. No one is obliged to answer every single one of your questions. Sometimes threads get overlooked, sometimes people aren't interested. You might make it more interesting to people by giving the results of your experiments instead of just asking questions. "I did this and that happened" instead of "How do I do this?"

Almops
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Almops » Tue May 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation