NATION

PASSWORD

[Appeal] Locking

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Panatomia
Secretary

Founded: Feb 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Appeal] Locking

Postby Panatomia » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi,

I'd like to appeal: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=362572&p=26952028#p26952028

This comes down to the fundamental of understanding of what in fact a region is, what purpose it in fact serves, rather than the purpose it might have been intended to serve. Regions serve those who wish to group together that share common interests, common goals. Some regions are specifically about Game-play regions, this I refer to personally as Raiding and Defending, but mostly it seems to be referred to as Gameplay. Some regions associate only "in character" and share similar ideologies.

Panatomia is recruiting someone in an Out of Character context. Someone who shares the interest of creating stories right from the basics. We don't care what those stories are, we're not recruiting someone for a specific role-play. We would do that "internally" as you can see by looking at the Regional Message Board. We also want someone that will engage with region. Much like someone joining a Writing Club would be expected to engage with the activities of the Writing Club rather than spending their entire time in isolation and not really taking part in the club.

I think it is important to recognize the difference between the concept of recruiting IC'ly for someone to join a role-play and OOC'ly for someone to join a region and I think that the difference primarily comes down to mostly subjective views. However taking things objectively, we're specifically recruiting a writer for our region. That's it. We don't want a raider, we don't want someone looking for a social club. We want a writer, we want a community of writers that can share writing activities.

Or is a local writing club not considered a community on Nationstates?

I'd really like for this appeal to be considered, we are recruiting in good faith and other regions seem to be able to recruit with a more direct role-play slant. An example being "Commonshire" viewtopic.php?f=12&t=362384 that is solely recruiting people for role-play. Lots of requests have been made in Gameplay specifically looking for Role-play regions.

Again I do understand the confusion and perhaps I badly worded my recruitment post (particularly that second sentence...), but I had no opportunity to correct it, no one mentioned that it was in the wrong place or incorrect somehow and now I'm left in the awkward predicament of having to directly challenge a Mod's ruling.
Region: Panatomia - Please drop by!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:32 pm

Sedge is correct. The lock was appropriate. Appeal denied.

That's not to say you can't seek out what you're looking for in F&NI. A similar thread there would probably get the results you seek.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:35 am

I'm not trying to spam moderation hear, but does this mean that rp regions can no longer advertise their regions in GP? Because essentially he's advertising for a good-quality writer to join his region: similar to what a lot of other rp regions do.
Just want to know incase I set up a region in the future is all.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Panatomia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Panatomia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:37 am

I would also like to hear the reasoning behind the decision beyond that I will re-post in F&NI although, I largely understood this not to be a Region recruiting area. As it has come recommended I hope that the next thread won't be locked. This will also give me an opportunity to re-evaluate the content and phrasing of some sentences that I think may have made it unclear of what we were looking for.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:18 pm

There is a difference between posting a generic ad for roleplayers in a specific milieu, versus what is essentially a job application for a single roleplayer. Gameplay is fine for the former. F&NI is fine for the latter.

Panatomia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Panatomia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:22 pm

So the difference here, so far as I understand it...

If you have a limit on the number of recruits you're looking for, then F&NI, else Gameplay. Assuming recruiting for being part of an OOC community and not a specific role-play.

Is this correct?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Panatomia wrote:Is this correct?

Not remotely.

If it's about recruiting nations to join your region, it's Gameplay. If it's about roleplay design, discussion, layout, artwork, or anything else that isn't regional recruitment, it doesn't go in Gameplay.

Panatomia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Panatomia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Then I don't understand.

The primary purpose of the locked thread is to recruit one player to the region with the region's primary primary purpose to create stories, role-plays and similar items. A player would be expected to take part in regional activities, there's no point recruiting someone who does not wish to participate. Yet my appeal was denied even after trying to explain this.

According to your definition.

"a generic ad for roleplayers in a specific milieu" == Gameplay.

The difference here is that I am asking for One role-player.
The "milieu" (defined as: surroundings, especially of a social or cultural nature) in this case would be:
  • Taking place in the "Panatomia" surroundings as provided by NationStates rather than In-Character.
  • With a group of Writers (social link)
  • In order to create shared stories, role-plays (cultural link)

I appreciate that the definition you have used may not necessarily be the one that is correct but it is all that has been provided in way of explanation.

Our region is about "role-play design" the advert isn't actually for "role-play design". It is simply an expected part of joining the region, it is the essence of the region not the role they would be expected to perform. This is why I do not believe it fits anywhere else but Game-play.

I would like to disclose for the moment, that through F&NI we have recruited an applicant and hence suspended the recruiting until we feel it is time to go looking for another member to add to our community. The reason I am continuing discussion here is to understand the underlying issue so that I can understand the logic and post recruitment adverts in the correct place.

I do feel that the recruitment thread in F&NI is out of place, because we are not recruiting for a role-play, we're recruiting for a player and that is OOC, completely out of the definition of what that forum is for according to the description that demands "In Character".

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Panatomia wrote:Then I don't understand.

The primary purpose of the locked thread is to recruit one player to the region with the region's primary primary purpose to create stories, role-plays and similar items. A player would be expected to take part in regional activities, there's no point recruiting someone who does not wish to participate. Yet my appeal was denied even after trying to explain this.

According to your definition.

"a generic ad for roleplayers in a specific milieu" == Gameplay.

The difference here is that I am asking for One role-player.
The "milieu" (defined as: surroundings, especially of a social or cultural nature) in this case would be:
  • Taking place in the "Panatomia" surroundings as provided by NationStates rather than In-Character.
  • With a group of Writers (social link)
  • In order to create shared stories, role-plays (cultural link)

I appreciate that the definition you have used may not necessarily be the one that is correct but it is all that has been provided in way of explanation.

Our region is about "role-play design" the advert isn't actually for "role-play design". It is simply an expected part of joining the region, it is the essence of the region not the role they would be expected to perform. This is why I do not believe it fits anywhere else but Game-play.

I would like to disclose for the moment, that through F&NI we have recruited an applicant and hence suspended the recruiting until we feel it is time to go looking for another member to add to our community. The reason I am continuing discussion here is to understand the underlying issue so that I can understand the logic and post recruitment adverts in the correct place.

I do feel that the recruitment thread in F&NI is out of place, because we are not recruiting for a role-play, we're recruiting for a player and that is OOC, completely out of the definition of what that forum is for according to the description that demands "In Character".

The primary purpose, ultimately, is to participate in in-character roleplay; therefore, it doesn't belong in Gameplay. You're promoting the OOC/Gameplay aspect as a secondary thing (in this thread), since the one additional person's participation in your RP creation is mandatory. You even say in your recruitment thread "However, those looking for a challenge to stretch their legs not as a game player, but as a writer...". Sedge and Fris are both correct on the location of the thread.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Panatomia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Panatomia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Ah, much obliged, thank you very much.

I was not questioning the appeal, I was just having trouble understanding the why, but I am now better informed.

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Panatomia wrote:Ah, much obliged, thank you very much.

I was not questioning the appeal, I was just having trouble understanding the why, but I am now better informed.

If you have any further questions, absolutely feel free to telegram me. I have no problem answering them to the best of my abilities.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation