NATION

PASSWORD

[Discussion] Should OPs have a minimum word count?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Frazers
Minister

Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

[Discussion] Should OPs have a minimum word count?

Postby Frazers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:08 am

I think as long as they have a question and an opinion then adding filler is unnecessary.
Last edited by Tsaraine on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:11 am

I have moved your thread to the appropriate subforum, and edited the title accordingly. Your OP has not otherwise been changed.

~ Tsar the Mod.

Frazers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frazers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:13 am

May I ask what would lead to a OP being considered to have "cut the mustard"

Is there a specific word count required? Specific grammatical constructs necessary?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:15 am

Frazers wrote:May I ask what would lead to a OP being considered to have "cut the mustard"

Is there a specific word count required? Specific grammatical constructs necessary?

viewtopic.php?p=18946099#p18946099

Does that help?

It requires:

-Discussion topic, what are you actually arguing about
-own opinion, with reasons
The Blaatschapen should resign

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:17 am

I think some subjects need a lengthy introduction, while others require little explanation. As with everything on this site, it seems, it has to be judged on a case by case basis.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Frazers
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frazers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:18 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Frazers wrote:May I ask what would lead to a OP being considered to have "cut the mustard"

Does that help?

It requires:

And if ones reasons are "just cuz"?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:21 am

Frazers wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Does that help?

It requires:

And if ones reasons are "just cuz"?

"just because ( I can)" does not invite discussion as a reason. So it's probably not a topic that you should start debating.
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Sinovet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sinovet » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 pm

I think it also depends on the forum. If it s a Role Play OP, I think you can't really complain about length. General, perhaps you should just get to the point and move on.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Any OP that doesn't have at least 31337 words isn't even worth reading.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 pm

As long as they have a point, then I think it should pass.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

StellarGate
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby StellarGate » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:53 am

And how would this be enforced? Im guessing just putting some sort of code or whatever to count your words/characters only when a person clicks the 'New Topic' button would be required along with another thing to tell you when its too short.

And then youd have to define too short. Some General threads have great discussions when the OP is just a link, a simple question and brief opinion. Ive seen threads with long detailed OPs or copy/pasted articles quickly turn to a troll fests because this is NS, you never know how the dicussion will end up unless the OP is a troll.

And you'd have to define length for each forum. Because while General, II, and GE&T and P2TM might be able to generate long posts, Moderation, Factbooks, and technical may not. Do you really want to have to write a paragraph on how this one person used a slur and posted a bad link?

And what if people use hidden fillers to get around the count? Guess mods would have to warn them.mwhat about copy.pasting and article does that not count?

Seems like too much effort. While I love to see detailed OPs for II and reading a nicely thought out OP in general is cool it just doesn't strike me as a good way to foster discussion.

Also i must point out that your OP is very short. I would of expected you to at least demonstate what you'd like by doing a long, non filler filled RP explaining why this is nessesary.
FT nation- Royal Cresian Empire
Dogmeat wrote:
Skunkylon wrote:There are only 2 genders

3 genders for the Drag Queens, under the sky
7 for the Gay Lords, in their Hall of Techno
9 for Lesbians, doomed to own cats
1 for the Incel Lord on his internet throne.
New Aerios wrote:If Atheism is a religion, off is a TV channel.
How to become an Admin

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:00 am

No. I can (and have) made threads stating the question and my opinion in like 3 sentences. It was greeted by a bunch of comments complaining about hurp durp where's the OP. That's the community's problem, not yours.
Unreachable.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Hemingway could probably write a two-line OP that would have people lined up to respond. Dostoyevsky might need six -reserved- posts to make the same point. There is no need or desire for a mechanical "word count" OP limitation. Let's leave it up to mod (and player) judgment, just like we've been doing for years now.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation