NATION

PASSWORD

[Discussion] Relaxation on forum rules in Gameplay

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Rifty
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Discussion] Relaxation on forum rules in Gameplay

Postby Rifty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:50 am

Warned for flaming - Something i see far too often in the Gameplay forums. Now i am not saying that flaming isn't a problem; or that it should be ignored - but that it is too loosely tossed around.

Gameplay is a forum notorious for the debates, polarized views and angry replies. I myself feel (and im sure many of you will agree) that how often warnings and even bannings for Gloating, Flaming and Flamebaiting are far too common - Not because people can't follow the rules but because they are too heavily imposed.

It is a rather personal forum - with people constantly discussing each-over as individuals and as regions. However it is a little restrictive when Person A gets warned for having a go at Person B because they raided Person A's region that they put so much work into. People are going to be emotional - it's human nature; what I propose is these three forms of rule breakages are not removed but relaxed due to the nature of the forum.

Arguments are always going to flare up - People are always going to be emotional. Rather than try and curve something that is part of human nature; why not mold the rules around it in a way.

I do expect strong opposition to this but I myself feel it is key.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Riksdagsledamöter of Balder
Legionnaire and Councilor of Osiris
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

------------------------------✥ ✥ Independent ✥ ✥------------------------------

General response to stupid comments

Trick Shot
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trick Shot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 am

I myself have been warned and banned several times and they have all been for flaming. It's all good hearted fun. Sure we do bend some rules, but we don't hurt anybody by doing it
Festavo Montresor-Stark
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris | Sergeant of The Black Hawks
Raiding like it should be: Sleepers, Griefing and Fun
Marelius wrote:You got Festavo'd

Revall wrote:Festavo is an off his rocker cowboy capable of anything at the drop of a hat

Nuke wrote:But can you really be more dangerous than Festavo? Now that guy is a real fucking OG.

Valrifell wrote:God dammit Fest, you think too much!

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:07 am

Since it's "rather personal", it stands to reason that conduct must be governed by rules to ensure a modicum of civility. Arguments can be done civilly. If you cannot argue in a civil manner then best keep it to yourself.

NSG is known for its passionate views, tense debates, and extremely polarized views. It also gets very personal. And that's why there are rules governing those discussions. It stands to reason that the same logic can be applied to Gameplay. Those who act civil and argue in a manner have nothing to fear from expressing their opinions. After all, if it's good enough for NSG, it's good enough for Gameplay.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:10 am

...if anything, I think any OOC insults or gloating should be prohibited; it should be in-character from the point of view/theme of the region, as Gameplay has been getting more and more personal... a bit too personal for my liking.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:15 am

Kryozerkia wrote:Since it's "rather personal", it stands to reason that conduct must be governed by rules to ensure a modicum of civility. Arguments can be done civilly. If you cannot argue in a civil manner then best keep it to yourself.

NSG is known for its passionate views, tense debates, and extremely polarized views. It also gets very personal. And that's why there are rules governing those discussions. It stands to reason that the same logic can be applied to Gameplay. Those who act civil and argue in a manner have nothing to fear from expressing their opinions. After all, if it's good enough for NSG, it's good enough for Gameplay.

Arguments can be done civilly - I am not saying that they can't. What I am saying is calling someone an idiot one day can be ignored but the next get banned for 3 days for flaming. These personal attacks and opinions on others happens in real life politics - So why not in a political simulator?

As i said - I do not wish for these rules to be removed; they are needed...However they are far to restrictive. Saying that gameplay deserves the same rules as NSG is ridiculous - You wouldn't apply the same rules to Roleplay as you would to NSG; so nor should you to gameplay. I also say this in the most respectful way possible - but you have only made 36 posts in Gameplay; with most of them offering assitance to questions and a few in the flag maker topics. Not saying your opinion isn't valued or legitimate - just not really that active in that area. Not to mention there are only two warnings made by you on gameplay (Both over two years ago) and you have only made 3 posts this year; None of which being of a Gameplay nature.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:30 am

Rifty wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:Since it's "rather personal", it stands to reason that conduct must be governed by rules to ensure a modicum of civility. Arguments can be done civilly. If you cannot argue in a civil manner then best keep it to yourself.

Arguments can be done civilly - I am not saying that they can't. What I am saying is calling someone an idiot one day can be ignored but the next get banned for 3 days for flaming. These personal attacks and opinions on others happens in real life politics - So why not in a political simulator?

As i said - I do not wish for these rules to be removed; they are needed...However they are far to restrictive. Saying that gameplay deserves the same rules as NSG is ridiculous - You wouldn't apply the same rules to Roleplay as you would to NSG; so nor should you to gameplay. I also say this in the most respectful way possible - but you have only made 36 posts in Gameplay; with most of them offering assitance to questions and a few in the flag maker topics. Not saying your opinion isn't valued or legitimate - just not really that active in that area. Not to mention there are only two warnings made by you on gameplay (Both over two years ago) and you have only made 3 posts this year; None of which being of a Gameplay nature.

Kryozerkia's expertise (or any other mod's) is not up for discussion here.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 am

Let me see if I've got the gist of your argument correct. I'll paraphrase:
Gameplay is fun because we like to bully and harass the other players, preferably until they run crying home to mama. Since it's an inevitable part of human nature that some people are strong and others are weak, there should be less rules that hamper the strong from harassing the weak. Oh, and if you're a mod who hasn't been an active bully, you have no right to an opinion.

Does that sum it up pretty well? 'Cause that's how it reads.

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:34 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Rifty wrote:Arguments can be done civilly - I am not saying that they can't. What I am saying is calling someone an idiot one day can be ignored but the next get banned for 3 days for flaming. These personal attacks and opinions on others happens in real life politics - So why not in a political simulator?

May not be up for discussion - However it is relevant whether you wish to accept it or not. Someone with a lot of Gameplay mod experience should have their view taken into account a little bit more than someone with near on none. Sedge i see on there a lot...I'm not trying to be rude; and i don't want this to go off topic - but if I have cancer, I want an Oncologist - Not a Podiatrist.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Rifty
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rifty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Let me see if I've got the gist of your argument correct. I'll paraphrase:
Gameplay is fun because we like to bully and harass the other players, preferably until they run crying home to mama. Since it's an inevitable part of human nature that some people are strong and others are weak, there should be less rules that hamper the strong from harassing the weak. Oh, and if you're a mod who hasn't been an active bully, you have no right to an opinion.

Does that sum it up pretty well? 'Cause that's how it reads.

It's not meant to come across like that - as i said i don't wish for the rules to be removed; they serve a purpose. People getting on there and ripping someone to shreds is not right - and should be dealt with. However the rules are too loosely tossed around; rather than maintain order they restrict discussion. Constantly i find myself not posting on a matter in fear Sedge will swoop down and saying i'm baiting.

Can you guys stop treating this like i wish for the rules to be removed but for it to be taken as a desire for them to be relaxed and revised specifically to the Gameplay forum.
✥ Positions ✥
Merryman of UDL
Chancellor of Madrigal
Prophet Sidney Rozeck

My time on NS

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:38 am

Rifty wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

May not be up for discussion - However it is relevant whether you wish to accept it or not. Someone with a lot of Gameplay mod experience should have their view taken into account a little bit more than someone with near on none. Sedge i see on there a lot...I'm not trying to be rude; and i don't want this to go off topic - but if I have cancer, I want an Oncologist - Not a Podiatrist.

Let's do a favor and skip the comparisons. You're assuming that Kryo has no gameplay experience, when in fact, she does. As much as Sedge or CG? No. Most moderators can't claim that. However, she's well aware of what goes on in gameplay. With that said, the rules are in place for consistency across the forums. Relaxing them in Gameplay only will not happen. This is not up for discussion.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation