NATION

PASSWORD

[Question] On quoting other people

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

[Question] On quoting other people

Postby Elke and Elba » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:47 am

Is it possible for the person who the quote originated from demand the removal of the quote from another's signature if he/she doesn't approve of it?
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

The 54th Squadron
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 54th Squadron » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:13 am

Elke and Elba wrote:Is it possible for the person who the quote originated from demand the removal of the quote from another's signature if he/she doesn't approve of it?

Yes.
Legalize owning RPG's and nuclear weapons, reinstate hanging, add in burning meat grinders, stop giving shits for airplane crashes, shut the fuck up about banning guns, the south will NOT rise again, you are just ignorant, look down on the poor, modify genetics so fat kids taste like bacon, cats are better than dogs, if you don't like what's going on in the middle east, fix it yourself, Obama is a good president, just a bad Congress, MLP is a kickass show.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am

The 54th Squadron wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:Is it possible for the person who the quote originated from demand the removal of the quote from another's signature if he/she doesn't approve of it?

Yes.

The 54th Squadron: *** WARNED FOR SPAMMING MODERATION ***

E&E, generally the answer is no - although it depends on context. If someone is misquoting you - or taking what you said out of context - then you would likely have grounds to request the removal of such a quote. (Quoting a rule-breaking post - i.e. trolling, flaming, etc. - is also not kosher, but I doubt that's relevant to what you're talking about here.)

Otherwise, if you don't want it quoted, you probably shouldn't have said it. However, if there's a specific example that you'd like looked at, please make the post in the sig thread.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Die Erworbenen Namen
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Die Erworbenen Namen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am

If I may ask, since it's on topic,

If someone quotes me looking rather stupid, and I did not like that, I would see it as embarrassing to my credibility. Could I ask that the quote in question is removed from they player's signature?
The beatings will continue. Regardless of morale.

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Also, nominating DEN as ATLAS's Chef Ramses.
The United Remnants of America wrote:I'm collecting friends. Hate to say it, but you qualify.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:31 am

Die erworbenen Namen wrote:If I may ask, since it's on topic,

If someone quotes me looking rather stupid, and I did not like that, I would see it as embarrassing to my credibility. Could I ask that the quote in question is removed from they player's signature?

Decided on a case by case basis, but just like with reporting, while you can certainly ask, I'd consider your chances of having the quote removed unlikely.

Again, it's hard to be 100% clear when dealing with hypotheticals (and I'm not in charge of signatures, so don't post examples here - post them in the signature thread, as previously linked), but if you said something stupid .... then you said something stupid. We all do it - and to pretend otherwise ... almost strains the limit of credulity.

Granted, if someone is flaming you in their sig: "HAHA, PLAYER-X IS STUPID: {quote}" ... that would most likely be actionable.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Die Erworbenen Namen
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Die Erworbenen Namen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks for answering (or trying to :P)!

If I see a problem, I'll just report it. Thanks again!
The beatings will continue. Regardless of morale.

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Also, nominating DEN as ATLAS's Chef Ramses.
The United Remnants of America wrote:I'm collecting friends. Hate to say it, but you qualify.

Return to Moderation