NATION

PASSWORD

FAQ: Technical Forum

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Eorlingan Empire
Attaché

Founded: Dec 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Eorlingan Empire » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:30 am

Eorlingan Empire wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:
How do I change my national pretitle?
Until you reach a population of over 500 million citizens, you are stuck with the pre-determined list in your Settings.

After that, you can change your pre-title – but, of course, the usual rules regarding appropriate content do apply.

Is it possible to have the pretitle NOT include the "The" and the "Of" in it? It makes for some weird grammar and syntax when trying to come up with an appropriate pretitle. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to be putting this, but I couldn't figure out how to contact the Devs about it.

I have been thinking about this - and I realized that rather than removing the "the" or the "of" in the title, which does not work, would it be possible to ADD certain words between "the" and/or "of"? Like, you'd have a little check box that would do that.

Ex. The Holy Imperium of Eorlingan Empire (original)
[after checking "add the"] The Holy Imperium of the Eorlingan Empire (new)

something like that - how difficult would that be...?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:47 am

I don't think they would do that for the same reason they don't let you get rid of the pretitle, risk of impersonation. For example Empire could use this to call themselves "The Loyal Browns Fans of Eorlingan Empire", and then come to your region and perfectly impersonate you using such a system. (Not that I think Empire would do that, I don't even know them) My understanding is that the admin don't want to make it easier for nations to impersonate each other.

Eorlingan Empire
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Eorlingan Empire » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:50 am

Well, no - the only options would be minor ones, like "the" or "a" - and i do hope there would be security checks for that, yes?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:29 am

Eorlingan Empire wrote:Well, no - the only options would be minor ones, like "the" or "a" - and i do hope there would be security checks for that, yes?

But some nations are NAMED, for example "The Eorlingan Empire." So, by allowing you to add "THE" to your name, you'd be imitating them.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Eorlingan Empire
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Eorlingan Empire » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:11 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Eorlingan Empire wrote:Well, no - the only options would be minor ones, like "the" or "a" - and i do hope there would be security checks for that, yes?

But some nations are NAMED, for example "The Eorlingan Empire." So, by allowing you to add "THE" to your name, you'd be imitating them.

Wouldn't that in itself be impersonation, though?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:26 am

Eorlingan Empire wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:But some nations are NAMED, for example "The Eorlingan Empire." So, by allowing you to add "THE" to your name, you'd be imitating them.

Imitation, impersonation .... yeah, basically.

Which, again, makes me skeptical that this proposal will ever be put into effect.
Proud Member of UNOG

Eorlingan Empire
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Eorlingan Empire » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:50 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Eorlingan Empire wrote:

Imitation, impersonation .... yeah, basically.

Which, again, makes me skeptical that this proposal will ever be put into effect.

that's understandable. There's ways to stop it - it's just whether or not they're willing to put in the effort...

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:56 am

Eorlingan Empire wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Imitation, impersonation .... yeah, basically.

that's understandable. There's ways to stop it - it's just whether or not they're willing to put in the effort...

Why put in the effort to change things if it only makes things more complicated? If you want the name "The Eorlingan Empire" then create a nation with that name. I wanted "The Awesome Islands" but it was taken, so my puppet had to settle for Awesome Islands.
Proud Member of UNOG

Stallanstan
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stallanstan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:25 pm

I can seem to change my nation name, i thought this was an option? or was it just my imagination?
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.23

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Stallanstan wrote:I can seem to change my nation name, i thought this was an option? or was it just my imagination?

What do you mean? Can you explain more clearly what you're asking about?
Proud Member of UNOG

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Stallanstan wrote:I can seem to change my nation name, i thought this was an option? or was it just my imagination?

I'm assuming "Cannot" rather than "Can"?

Anyway, I recall that being able to change your nation name, was permitted...many years ago (I could be wrong), but I also know that for many years (at least 2010?) you cannot change your nation name.

What you can change however, is your nation Classification.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Enfaru wrote:

I'm assuming "Cannot" rather than "Can"?

Anyway, I recall that being able to change your nation name, was permitted...many years ago (I could be wrong), but I also know that for many years (at least 2010?) you cannot change your nation name.

What you can change however, is your nation Classification.

You can change your pretitle after getting to 500million population - about 3 months, if memory serves.

Only two or three nations have had their nation names changed, historically. So it was never "widely permitted," per se, but there were a few "special cases" where an exception was made. It's in a thread in here in the Tech forum ... somewhere.
Proud Member of UNOG

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:20 pm

If I recall correctly, it was for two nations who's name violated the terms and conditions before the terms and conditions were made. So they got a nation name change instead of being deleted.

As far as changing the pretitle, you can change it at any time, but you can only have a custom one after you reach 500 million.

For actually changing your nation name, no, you cannot. The game stores your nation's information by the name, and so changing your nation's name would break a lot of references to it due to the way the game was made.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:26 am

Leutria wrote:If I recall correctly, it was for two nations who's name violated the terms and conditions before the terms and conditions were made. So they got a nation name change instead of being deleted.

As far as changing the pretitle, you can change it at any time, but you can only have a custom one after you reach 500 million.

For actually changing your nation name, no, you cannot. The game stores your nation's information by the name, and so changing your nation's name would break a lot of references to it due to the way the game was made.

One of the cases involved a nation which had never had its name recorded anywhere which would help spur the issues that changing nation names can do, and admin had some spare time and was feeling exceedingly generous. Generally speaking it's simply a case of "no we really *can't* do that for the reasons you indicate.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Terran Borealis
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Terran Borealis » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:42 pm

As a random question, what font is the forum in. I suspect that the non-forum parts of NS are Verdana, but I have no clue what the NSForum is in.
Proud NerdFighter. DFTBA!

98% of internet users would cry when Facebook went down. If you are going to be the 2% that'll be just laughing around, paste this into your signature

YOU FOUND THE SECRET SPOILER! CONGRATS!

Federation of Trelatche
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Federation of Trelatche » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Terran Borealis wrote:As a random question, what font is the forum in. I suspect that the non-forum parts of NS are Verdana, but I have no clue what the NSForum is in.

Looks like trebuchet ms
Last edited by Federation of Trelatche on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit main nation: Trelatche

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Terran Borealis wrote:As a random question, what font is the forum in. I suspect that the non-forum parts of NS are Verdana, but I have no clue what the NSForum is in.

font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:26 pm

This is the first time I've had to post an inquiry of this nature. I hope it's in the right place.

Several months ago, I observed a sig linked to a page denoted as "Be a spy". It was basically a list of all the NSers currently online, along with what threads they were browsing. Try as I might I can't seem to locate the tool again. I've even gone through this forum looking for it - all to no avail.

Little help, ouens?

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Lydenburg wrote:This is the first time I've had to post an inquiry of this nature. I hope it's in the right place.

Several months ago, I observed a sig linked to a page denoted as "Be a spy". It was basically a list of all the NSers currently online, along with what threads they were browsing. Try as I might I can't seem to locate the tool again. I've even gone through this forum looking for it - all to no avail.

Little help, ouens?

Bottom of every page is a Who Is Online link.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:This is the first time I've had to post an inquiry of this nature. I hope it's in the right place.

Little help, ouens?

Bottom of every page is a Who Is Online link.

Slippery little bugger, hiding in plain sight!

Thank you.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Zenya
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zenya » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:22 am

Does bbcode count in WFEs as apart of the character limit? I read that the limit is 750, but once I do a count on our region's WFE its somewhere near 1700 (counting bbcode).
~ Comrade Zenny ~

Cute Purple Dinosaur
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Purple Dinosaur » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:57 am

I can't believe this hasn't been taken before. What is the origin of my nation name in the admin list?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:51 am

Cute Purple Dinosaur wrote:I can't believe this hasn't been taken before. What is the origin of my nation name in the admin list?

It might not have been taken because of admin impersonation (which is against the rules). I'll leave it to another mod (or the admins) here to decide whether it is.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Cute Purple Dinosaur
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Purple Dinosaur » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:57 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cute Purple Dinosaur wrote:I can't believe this hasn't been taken before. What is the origin of my nation name in the admin list?

It might not have been taken because of admin impersonation (which is against the rules). I'll leave it to another mod (or the admins) here to decide whether it is.

I hope not. If this works I'll make a bunch of parodies.

PurpleDinosaur
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 23, 2004
Moralistic Democracy

Postby PurpleDinosaur » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Cute Purple Dinosaur wrote:I hope not. If this works I'll make a bunch of parodies.

I'd rather you didn't.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical