NATION

PASSWORD

Write an NS News post!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Velikrodstzemlya
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

An Idea or Two

Postby Velikrodstzemlya » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 am

It might be interesting to compare nation budgets (either the average apportionment of the budget out of a sample of 100 or 200 nations, or a count of which area of the budget has the highest apportionment amongst 100 or 200 nations.)

Also interesting to explore would be nations of strange circumstances. For instance, finding a nation with almost no economic freedoms yet a booming economy. Or, a nation with few economic freedoms but a large commerce budget. We could analyze such nations, and hypothesize on what government would be like in them. How about an anarchy with an enormous government? (Is this even possible? Can the results of the nightly "sort" be organized to see if any anarchy has an enormous government?)

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:52 pm

I'd like to see some Mod interviews. I'd be thinking maybe an older, more technical mod such as Reppy, a middling forum mod - maybe an NSG rep - a brand spanking new mod, ie Sedge, and, of course, [Violet].

I'd be happy to do that, but you might be able to pull something together in your modcave yourselves, what with, hopefully, you each knowing yourselves a lot better than others might... I just think that, what with the NS mods being some of the best mods I've seen in terms of friendliness and communal acceptance, maybe we should show this off more.

Just a thought. You could also ask some people to condense some of their guides and stickies (such as The Art of NS War etc.) and turn them into articles.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Yasmin Lane
Civilian

Founded: Feb 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yasmin Lane » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:02 pm

I interviewed some mods, back in the days...including Salusa.

http://www.nationstates.net/~salusaseco ... rview.html

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Munawarra wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am new to this game, and I need help trying to figure few things out. First I want to ask is where can i post my nation's history and information at? And the another thing i want to ask is how do to make my nation stronger and increase the population of my nation?

Thank You,
Sultanate of Munawarra

Population grows automatically: + 1 million per day for 5 days, then + 2 million per day for 5 days, then + 3 million per day for 5 days, then + [5 to 8, determined randomly each day] million for each day after that...
Neither issues nor WA resolutions, nor anything else, affects these rates.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Velikrodstzemlya wrote:How about an anarchy with an enormous government? (Is this even possible?)

<<< Yes.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Artandos
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Artandos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Excuse me, but how does one actually write an NS news post?
The one who studies the past, shall be most ready for the future.
Azhu4life!
Wilgrove wrote:How do you abort someone who's already alive? I believe they call that murder.

Nekronia wrote:Congratulations world, you had your asses handed to you by a meth head.
New Manvir wrote:Hitler should have been a salesman, he could've been like a German Billy Mays.

Motuka
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I believe the most usual way is on a computer. On occasions, though, I wouldn't be surprised to find Max using some kind of mobile device instead.
sorry, couldn't resist :<
Last edited by Motuka on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Personnel: Sandor Kaji ~ Julian Kbitaru

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

The PeoplesFreedom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The PeoplesFreedom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Write about the historic Gholgoth-Haven rivalry. Plenty of stories there.
If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

National Information
NS Draftroom[/spoiler]

Hetalia Prussia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hetalia Prussia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Why not make an article about puppets like me?
After all, we get ignored FAR too often...
Door_Mouse wrote:
Auremena wrote:*a scream and crashing is heard*

Throwing yourself down stairs isn't the best way to induce an abortion.

Arcad's puppet. We use the same flag, usually... so it's not that hard.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 pm

This isn't so much in-game news, but it would be really nice if Max or Violet or another admin made an official NationStates fan page on Facebook and posted it on the news page. If we had many people 'like' nationstates there is a good chance at the very least a dozen or so people might stumble into the game just off facebook. That can't be a bad idea...

(As of now, there are several small fan made pages for NationStates...)
AKA Weed

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Building on the idea of interviews, interviews with various leading nations would encourage newer people, give people an idea into how people in the various forums operate, and also just let people see how other people nationstate.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Cartavesqa
Minister

Founded: Dec 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cartavesqa » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:10 am

Last edited by Cartavesqa on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:16 pm

I have two ideas:

1. A short article about the NationStates Olympics, either at the beginning of or the end of the (Sixth) Winter Olympics, which will start next week in the NS Sport forum. Even people not participating might get a kick out of a quick summary.

2. A brief history of the closest votes in WA (and TOTNCBN?): which have been the closest votes in hard numbers? Or in terms of percentage? I realize a simple sort of the NSWiki timeline answers this - but not all players use this resource.

Edit: A brief "Guide to the WA Headquarters" would also be cool.
Last edited by Quintessence of Dust on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Ard just sent me an elaborately detailed telegram about the Strangers' Bar, if you could use anything in that. :P
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Quintessence of Dust wrote:I have two ideas:

1. A short article about the NationStates Olympics, either at the beginning of or the end of the (Sixth) Winter Olympics, which will start next week in the NS Sport forum. Even people not participating might get a kick out of a quick summary.

2. A brief history of the closest votes in WA (and TOTNCBN?): which have been the closest votes in hard numbers? Or in terms of percentage? I realize a simple sort of the NSWiki timeline answers this - but not all players use this resource.

Edit: A brief "Guide to the WA Headquarters" would also be cool.

I like these, especially #1. If it can also serve as an introduction to forum RP for people who have no idea what that is (and keep to the length guideline), that would be perfect.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:33 am

The Olympics in the NS Sport forum should wrap up after the weekend, so then I'll take a stab at writing a summary of them, and the Olympics (and Sports forum) in general.

500 words - can we include links to forum posts? What about offsite links, such as NSwiki?
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:01 am

I'm actually working on an NS application right now, and the beta should be released in a couple of weeks. It'd be great if I could have a news entry once the App is made for general release. I don't want to go into great detail of what the App does right now, but it's something some players will love.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:07 am

You may have to create a seperate forum for all this.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Quintessence of Dust wrote:The Olympics in the NS Sport forum should wrap up after the weekend, so then I'll take a stab at writing a summary of them, and the Olympics (and Sports forum) in general.

500 words - can we include links to forum posts? What about offsite links, such as NSwiki?

Yes, for sure! When you're done, please send your article to admin at nationstates net and we'll discuss it more via email.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm trying to run a NS-wide survey regarding subgroups of NS, and seeing if group members perceive other groups as having greater status, influence or size. I dunno if it would be appropriate for a NS News post, but the bigger the distribution of the survey, the better. *shrugs*
Last edited by Unibot II on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

NewTexas
Spokesperson

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby NewTexas » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Ballotonia wrote:How about news posts which bring attention to some of the cool off-site stuff?

Like for instance NSSuite: http://nsdossier.texasregion.net/
(if NewTexas agrees to the extra traffic, of course)

Ballotonia

Maybe something like this?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=99514

:ugeek:
Big Tex
Governor of Texas

Author: NSDossier

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:11 pm

We'd definitely do a news post about NSDossier. It could generate a lot of extra load, though; can your server survive it?

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 am

Well done on the post, Quod. It was a good read. :)
Last edited by Unibot II on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:15 am

Unibot II wrote:Well done on the post, Quod. It was a good read. :)

Yeah! Good job!
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Serviper
Civilian

Founded: Apr 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Olympic Drinking

Postby Serviper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:56 am

The Nation of Serviper has prided itself on serving the finest liqueurs, liquors, and liquids into the belly's of our happy residents.

We would love to show off some of our finest drunkards, and award them with the admiration we already give them worldwide.

Obviously there *must* be some kind of event listing. Does anyone have a link for such a list? I need to do a population survey to find out which members can partake of this glorious competition.

Also - is there an age limit?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical