NATION

PASSWORD

Spell Checker Suggestion

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Disante
Attaché

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Spell Checker Suggestion

Postby Disante » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:10 pm

I've noticed that many users on NS are very good spellers, but also there are many who are not that great.

I was thinking that it could be a good idea to include a spell-checker for when you are posting a new topic or replying to a topic.

I understand that someone should check their spelling themselves and not rely on a spell-checker to do the work for them, and that some people are just simply too lazy to even use the spell checker, but I am fairly curtain that this will greatly reduce the amount of misspelled words.

Any comments?
Last edited by Disante on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not just that my mommy calls me special. It's that everyone else I have met calls me special in more ways than one.
Purple isn't just a colour for bubbly people. It's feminine and powerful at the same time, traits few possess.
Hello. My name is Disante. Wait, is it?
Because I said so!

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Spell Checker Suggestion

Postby Valipac » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:21 pm

I would love this. Although it should be noted that browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox include spellcheckers.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Turkish Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Turkish Federation » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Mo-Zilla Fire-fox's gonna FIRE your FOX oh yeah!

Apologies for my failed karaoke attempt, but Firefox's SpellChecker is so helpful that I don't write drafts in Word anymore.
The Turkish Federation
Factbook - Embassy thread - NSTracker

Disante
Attaché

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Disante » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Turkish Federation wrote:Mo-Zilla Fire-fox's gonna FIRE your FOX oh yeah!

Apologies for my failed karaoke attempt, but Firefox's SpellChecker is so helpful that I don't write drafts in Word anymore.

Yeah, but not everyone has firefox or google chrome, and most of the Internet Explores have it too, but some people don't know how to use it or have is disabled.
It's not just that my mommy calls me special. It's that everyone else I have met calls me special in more ways than one.
Purple isn't just a colour for bubbly people. It's feminine and powerful at the same time, traits few possess.
Hello. My name is Disante. Wait, is it?
Because I said so!

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:59 am

If my memory serves me correctly. Regional Message Boards had spell check up until a few months ago when the admins, graciously added BBcode tags for our RMBs. Personally I prefer bold, italic,underline, nation and region tags than spell check.

I was thinking that it could be a good idea to include a spell-checker for when you are posting a new topic or replying to a topic.

Oh, I see, you're talking about the forums.....

That doesn't sound too bad. As a chrome user, I've found Chrome's spell check is a little lackluster, in fact its probably the worst thing about Chrome (but I love it!). Firefox's spellcheck makes me get all gooey inside, I always loved it because it could recognize my attempts at spelling 'definitely' the first time around, instead of mistaking it as an attempt to spell 'defiantly'.

So I'd defiantly love a spell check.

Return to Technical