NATION

PASSWORD

New theme: "Century"

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:25 am

We like the new look.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Tiago Silva
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiago Silva » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:35 am

GeneralHaNor wrote:dial up needs to be banned, it slows down the whole network
I don't think you know how "the whole network" works.
South Korea successfully eliminated dial up, they enjoy connection speeds of about 61mb/s
You can eliminate what ever you want and spread fiber optical lines and wireless technologies as much as you want. If any thing goes wrong, your aluminum or copper wires will still be there for you, and if they're not there for you.. you can easily remake them.
when we can stop programming for the turtles in the network, is when you'll see real innovation in web design.
"Programming" has nothing to do with the issue here. Production tokens are always properly optimized. For instance, the NationStates mobile token is not properly optimized, and not particularly good at its task. I am really unsure if they actually tested it. When you wrote about "real innovation" and/or "web design", you reminded me of one my old Human Computer Interfaces classmates. The guy basically said that we shouldn't care for people with disabilities when doing our jazz. A year later he had a car accident and lost his sight. And now he browses with a screen reader. And now he bitches because little automated teller/banking machines have little support for blind folks.
don't know where I was going with this.
You were going nowhere.
Reploid Productions wrote:And while dial-up use is in decline, it's still common enough that it is something that we should consider.
Even if it was not used, there is no excuse to not optimize your product. At the very least there will be a smaller bandwidth bill. Ain't that a b.
Last edited by Tiago Silva on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PopularFreedom
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby PopularFreedom » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 am

I like the new look
Last edited by PopularFreedom on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PopularFreedom NSwiki page

Heartland Soccer Union - if you would like to control a team in this let me know, I use FIFA 07 to simulate games and plan to put more online on Youtube in the future.

PopularFreedom Rugby League - if you would like to control a team in this let me know, I use Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge to simulate games.

Hiiga-ra
Civilian

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

century

Postby Hiiga-ra » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

I'm a bit of a newcomer but I think the new layout is coming about just great! I'm not as gifted as everyone else in the community so far as editing, or very creative for that matter. As far as the community is doing to bring about the new layout, I'd say they're doing great. Thanks!

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Solisbury wrote:the new button style is a little disappointing. While the new style makes the pages seem more 'tidy' they just seem a little bit... ugly. :)

I think this is because, whilst everything else has been brought up to super-2010-ultra-modern standards the buttons still look like Windows 95 menu buttons! Which when you're using Mac OS X, Windows 7, Ubuntu 10 etc just seems a little strange! Is there any reason they couldn't just use the OS default button style, or failing that keep the 'old' style from the current theme?

It's the strong grey, rectangular style which seems at-odds with the smooth and sleek design everywhere else... I support the use of a new button design but it needs to work well with the Century style. Sorry to seem so negative, everything else is really awesome though!

Which browser/OS are you using? Buttons look wildly different depending on that.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:We like the new look.

+1
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Tiago Silva wrote:The only thing that matters right now is the byte-count.
PS: I believe your ordered list code is wrong.

That's nifty, thanks. I am planning to go through all this stuff, but probably not until after get the theme implemented as default. I think we can stop serving full-size image files as flag thumbnails, too.

Which ordered list are you referring to?

Gaandistaan
Civilian

Founded: Jul 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaandistaan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:44 pm

looks great..i like it :hug: :bow:

British Kuwait
Ambassador

Founded: May 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby British Kuwait » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Gaandistaan wrote:looks great..i like it :hug: :bow:

+1
Proud member of the Anti-ORBAT Club

Lemmingtopias
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Lemmingtopias » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:18 pm

I like the unsaturated banner...and the wide RMB. Any chance of a setting for them both? :D

I really have issue with the advert next to the RMB >:(
Could it not go somewhere else?

Oh and the buttons....WHITE? on a white background? :lol:

Overall though I am pretty impressed.
LBC News:Lemmingtopias now de facto split between East and West | Junta forces fail to storm Palace of the Sages, withdrawal from West Lomapolis | COUP! Advised to stay at home! More Info coming soon | Prince of Lemmingtopias killed during summit with Tropican President| Invasion of The Tropican Islands cancelled. Diplomatic talks to resume

The Grand Chibilord
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Chibilord » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Well I like the new lick. I can't wait for it to be implemented.

Trektopolis
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Trektopolis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Redesign, yes, more ads, hell no!

Lemmingtopias
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Lemmingtopias » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Trektopolis wrote:Redesign, yes, more ads, hell no!

Are there more ads? I thought they were just bigger :(
LBC News:Lemmingtopias now de facto split between East and West | Junta forces fail to storm Palace of the Sages, withdrawal from West Lomapolis | COUP! Advised to stay at home! More Info coming soon | Prince of Lemmingtopias killed during summit with Tropican President| Invasion of The Tropican Islands cancelled. Diplomatic talks to resume

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Lemmingtopias wrote:
Trektopolis wrote:Redesign, yes, more ads, hell no!

Are there more ads? I thought they were just bigger :(

I think they just changed locations

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:52 pm

There are fewer ads in Century, but they're larger. Basically the top banner ad on every page is gone, and there's a new one on Regional Happenings and beside Issues.

We'll probably experiment with ads in January, because at the moment not enough people regularly use Century to get reliable numbers on what they're worth to us. If some ads turn out to be more annoying than they're worth, we'll move or delete them.

Great Valencia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Valencia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Make this the default!
DEFCON 5
I will now go back to my easier habits of threatening to slice babies in half in order to find who the true mother is.- The Archregimancy
One other thing: There's no rule against profanity, but there IS a rule against spam. Bear that in mind, motherfuckers. - Lunatic Goofballs
"They. Are. Alive. Too." So are bacteria. I feel no pity when I use hand sanitizer.
-Conservative Morality
I hope they don't ban it. Going to the airport is the only time I can get anyone to feel me up anymore. -Minoriteeburg
"I'd find the tallest cliff I could, stand on the edge naked and hope I was sucked off." -Fartsniffage
Military Size: 46.2 Million (1%)

Rathatchet
Civilian

Founded: May 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rathatchet » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 pm

I think it's fine, no objections here.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:00 pm

one lick is more or less as good as another. although what we really like are hugs and scritchies.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Usual People In Life
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2009

Postby Usual People In Life » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:08 am

I'm sure that if you are annoyed by the ads, I think Violet is happy with people using ad blockers such as AdBlock Plus for Firefox, and AdBlock for Google Chrome. Just make sure you subscribe to the relevant English filters for the firefox version or it might not block all the ads!
When is a nation not a nation? When it's a region!

Tiago Silva
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiago Silva » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:18 am

[violet] wrote:Which ordered list are you referring to?
The ordered list code provided in the quick button:
Code: Select all
[list=][/list]
Violet, I have been making a collection of PNG flags with exactly 107px width. They're taken from vectorial sources and highly compressed. Their byte-count is much lower than the current JPEG and the quality even can't be compared. Bump me a telegram when you guys want to take a look at them.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:01 am

Not sure if this is related to the new theme, but since I chose it on my settings page, I've been unable to logout whilst on the forums. That is by pressing the logout button on the forums, not on the sidebar (which I've turned off).
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Tiago Silva wrote:Violet, I have been making a collection of PNG flags with exactly 107px width. They're taken from vectorial sources and highly compressed. Their byte-count is much lower than the current JPEG and the quality even can't be compared. Bump me a telegram when you guys want to take a look at them.

That would be awesome. The main reason we haven't revised those flags is just how long it would take. Can you mail me? admin at nationstates net.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:13 pm

St George of England wrote:Not sure if this is related to the new theme, but since I chose it on my settings page, I've been unable to logout whilst on the forums. That is by pressing the logout button on the forums, not on the sidebar (which I've turned off).

What happens when you try?

Very possibly it's related to a board upgrade I did overnight; I also experienced some logout weirdness, although it went away after I restarted my browser.

Capisaria
Senator

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Capisaria » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Question:
when will the theme be integrated w/the forum, and are you max barry?

Kingsley Bedford
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsley Bedford » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:57 pm

I like it very much. I hope that this becomes the new look for Nationstates
Kingfordian Republic of Kingsley Bedford
WA Delegate and head of diplomacy in Democratic Republics
Co-owner of Kiphtur Multinational
Co-President of United Democratic Party

http://kiphturmultinational.forumotion.com/index.htm < storefront
Federation of Democratic Republics <-- Join our region!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical