NATION

PASSWORD

Missing happenings

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Missing happenings

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:38 pm

On Amermia's nation page, you can see that its last three happenings are as follows (newest on top):
3 hours ago: Following new legislation in Amermia, hell is not always other people.
3 hours ago: Following new legislation in Amermia, the Forestry Department has decided you really can't fight fire with fire.
3 hours ago: Following new legislation in Amermia, parents must choose their children's names from a government-mandated master list.

However, when I run this API query, http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api.cgi?q=happenings&filter=law&limit=3&view=nation.amermia, I get the following result:
<WORLD>
<HAPPENINGS><EVENT id="226734089">
<TIMESTAMP>1541019890</TIMESTAMP>
<TEXT><![CDATA[Following new legislation in @@amermia@@, the Forestry Department has decided you really can't fight fire with fire.]]></TEXT>
</EVENT>

<EVENT id="226733322">
<TIMESTAMP>1541019835</TIMESTAMP>
<TEXT><![CDATA[Following new legislation in @@amermia@@, parents must choose their children's names from a government-mandated master list.]]></TEXT>
</EVENT>

<EVENT id="225834370">
<TIMESTAMP>1540958819</TIMESTAMP>
<TEXT><![CDATA[Following new legislation in @@amermia@@, the phrase 'spreading like wildfire' is no longer in the public lexicon.]]></TEXT>
</EVENT>
</HAPPENINGS>
</WORLD>

I'm guessing the world happening feed is overtaxed by all those zombie events.

Note that I must have seen the "hell is not always other people" line in the world happening feed at some point, otherwise I wouldn't even be checking for this.

EDIT: It just happened with Innocent Psychopath, too.

I also briefly got this result on one test, although reloading gave the same type of result as with Amermia above.
<WORLD><HAPPENINGS><div class="error">System Error (eval) at Wed Oct 31 21:53:51 2018.</div></HAPPENINGS></WORLD>

EDIT 2: The Flussland now.

EDIT 3: Now Tasselstaat, even though Z-Day is over. In fact, this one's worse. Four recent legislations, which happened within a minute or two of each other, all don't appear in the API feed. However, a fifth which happened shortly afterwards did appear, suggesting the problem had cleared up by then.

EDIT 4: The Thanos Black Order, now.
EDIT 5: Albmeadow.
EDIT 6: Lovelton, at 20:47 GMT Thursday.
EDIT 7: Uniting Anarchy, at 11:28 GMT Friday.
EDIT 8: Kjevelland, at 12:21 GMT Friday.
EDIT 9: Yridium at 15:49 GMT Friday.
EDIT 10: The Chinese Mainland at 15:59 GMT Friday.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:01 am, edited 10 times in total.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 am

I'll look into this.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 am

Whatever it is, it just got worse. The happening feed for Amermia linked above doesn't display anything anymore, even though it hasn't been anywhere close to the 7 day limit.

When I look at the world happening feed, I see that the event IDs are suspiciously low, as if the counting had recently been reset. I just saw numbers like 19507 and 20101, which are considerably lower than the number of nations in the world. By contrast, my database reports that the highest event ID I've seen is 227211548.

This reset appears to have happened after my previous report, apparently sometime in the last three hours.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Trotterdam wrote:This reset appears to have happened after my previous report, apparently sometime in the last three hours.

I noticed earlier that it seems to have restarted at around 11:59 EDT today, and that prior content was simply gone. I've seen hints that the relevant aspect of code has restarted several times lately, but this is the first I've seen of the new numbering schema.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm

All the zombie events overloaded our system.

I'll be publishing an xml file of the Z-day happenings.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm

So, are our IDs just going to stay reset? Is the situation at least stabilized going forward?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Still happening, most recently with Ademari. Although the nation answered five issues over about five minutes (so longer than the 28-second delay that the documentation says is supposed to happen), none appear in the happenings API.

EDIT: Thinklynd now. Two most recent happenings ("tourists..." and "foreign...") don't show up, earlier ones ("rap...", "sleep...", "...Barrier Island...") do.

EDIT: Etc. etc. Turtle Kings

EDIT INFINITY: Mind you, I'm still detecting these errors every few hours (and that's not counting the ones I don't detect, which are a lot more dangerous). I'm just not reporting all of them.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Well.

Resets shouldn't keep happening.

That events are getting lost is... troubling, and means that I would like to improve the happenings system rather sooner than next fall.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 am

I thought that this post indicated this was fixed, but now it's happened again, this time on Dols Meno. Same thing as before: my script saw the nation doing something in the world happenings, but when it goes to confirm it shortly afterwards, it's not there anymore. Though I only noticed the error message several hours later, by which time a manual check confirmed that the happenings are now visible again.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical