NATION

PASSWORD

Subtitles for factbooks

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Orioni 2
Envoy

Founded: May 05, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Subtitles for factbooks

Postby Orioni 2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:26 am

(Before asking this question, I made sure it was not proposed before. Since search did not yield a previous result I consider this to be an original request.)

Context
At the moment there is a limited set of BB codes we can use when creating a factbook or dispatch.

Problem
Having reviewed quite a number of them, I noticed everyone creates their own sort of subtitles (h1, h2, h3, etc.)

Proposal
Pages featuring long content already sport a certain style for subtitles. Take for example the FAQ: https://www.nationstates.net/page=faq

It is fairly easy and straightforward to use this existing styling through factbooks as well.
Last edited by Orioni 2 on Tue Jan 19, 2038 03:14 am, edited 1.618 times in total.

The Beautiful Empire of OrioniEurth RP
Seek nothing and you will find everything

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Orioni 2 wrote:It is fairly easy and straightforward to use this existing styling through factbooks as well.

It's easy and straightforward for you to suggest it. You have no idea what's involved in the code.

BB code is built into these forums, along with a fairly simple mechanism to add more. That's pretty easy. BB code is NOT an inherent part of the game, such as RMB posts, telegrams, and dispatches. Everything needs to be manually coded.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or a good one. I'm just saying "don't make assumptions about how easy it is to build."

Orioni 2
Envoy

Postby Orioni 2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:33 am

Thank you very much @Frisbeeteria for your reply. I understand that proposals are in no way guaranteed to achieve a results, so appreciate your feedback

Based on your explanation, I have a better understanding of the constraints you have to work with.

Regarding the complications of manually coding, perhaps there is a path to help improve our beloved NS, but with relatively limited effort.

1. From what I can see, the functionality of a h2-tag would be no different from adding a bold-tag or italic-tag. Adding the mechanism a first time will surely have been difficult. For additions, one would expect code could be re-used.
  2. As for actual markup and CSS-styling, I mentioned the existing examples on our FAQ page. Re-using this part of the stylesheet should prevent additional work. https://www.nationstates.net/ns_v1480536357.css

Please, do take some time to evaluate. In light a recent game upgrades, this would seem a rather limited addition that could potentially please many of our most dedicated users. I am able to create an expanded technical document, if this can help move us forward.
Last edited by Orioni 2 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:30 am, edited 9 times in total.
Last edited by Orioni 2 on Tue Jan 19, 2038 03:14 am, edited 1.618 times in total.

Montmorencia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Montmorencia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Orioni 2 wrote:Thank you very much @Frisbeeteria for your reply. I understand that proposals are in no way guaranteed to achieve a results, so appreciate your feedback

Based on your explanation, I have a better understanding of the constraints you have to work with.

Regarding the complications of manually coding, perhaps there is a path to help improve our beloved NS, but with relatively limited effort.

1. From what I can see, the functionality of a h2-tag would be no different from adding a bold-tag or italic-tag. Adding the mechanism a first time will surely have been difficult. For additions, one would expect code could be re-used.
  2. As for actual markup and CSS-styling, I mentioned the existing examples on our FAQ page. Re-using this part of the stylesheet should prevent additional work. https://www.nationstates.net/ns_v1480536357.css

Please, do take some time to evaluate. In light a recent game upgrades, this would seem a rather limited addition that could potentially please many of our most dedicated users. I am able to create an expanded technical document, if this can help move us forward.

Orioni, a simple solution would be to change the size of a text and add bold, italics, and underline as you please. In fact, you could closely replicated how it would look with html and css.
——————————
————————————
Montmorencia

Economic Left/Right: -4.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36
Make America Great Britain Again

Orioni 2
Envoy

Postby Orioni 2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:06 am

Montmorencia wrote:Orioni, a simple solution would be to change the size of a text and add bold, italics, and underline as you please. In fact, you could closely replicated how it would look with html and css.

Thank you @Montmorencia. This is something factbook creators already seem to do. It requires nesting tags inside tags inside tags. My proposal is to re-use existing markup to have consistent styling on all factbooks. Adding h2, h3 and h4 would serve most use cases.

Return to Technical