NATION

PASSWORD

[Suggestion] Default Folder for Voice of Mod Telegrams

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Suggestion] Default Folder for Voice of Mod Telegrams

Postby Lockdownn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:42 pm

I suggested this previously in an unrelated thread and have only now posted this suggestion. I wouldn't know how technically feasible it could be however.

So, at this current moment, VOM telegrams are treated as regular telegrams in the sense that they take up space the same. I do not believe this is inherently good or bad, but I do think it's worth an update to this system. My reasoning is that official telegrams from site officials should not be treated the same as a regular telegram. I know the situation of a filled inbox can be remedied by the purchase of a store feature at the current moment, but these telegrams should be considered as priority mail. I believe they deserve a default VOM inbox or folder that does not effect the non-official inbox. They would be received in that folder and would not have a limit as to how many could be stored.

Please post your thoughts, however, I think this is a fairly straight forward idea.
Last edited by Lockdownn on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 am

Finally an idea I can get behind. Where were you all my life ;).

Jokes aside, this.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:06 am

One issue, when you open your telegrams, you open the inbox. Given that this is priority mail that we, mods, really would like the recipient to see. This would create an extra click or two, which makes the likelihood of it being seen, much less.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:28 am

An alternative to that would be to create a full width notice on the nation page (just under the banner but above the main flag of the nation) saying: Voice of Mod Telegram Received: Read Now!

Or something along those lines.

Or maybe... we could create a tagging system. While Voice of Mod tgs are received in the inbox, they are also tagged with *priority, and assigned to the the priority folder where they can never be truly deleted even though they might get lost out of the inbox. Tagging would also enable users to sort mail into different folders much more easily...
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
4th President and,

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:33 am

Enfaru wrote:An alternative to that would be to create a full width notice on the nation page (just under the banner but above the main flag of the nation) saying: Voice of Mod Telegram Received: Read Now!

Or maybe... we could create a tagging system. While Voice of Mod tgs are received in the inbox, they are also tagged with *priority, and assigned to the the priority folder where they can never be truly deleted even though they might get lost out of the inbox. Tagging would also enable users to sort mail into different folders much more easily...

I'll reiterate Blaat's concern. I don't think that your "fix" would really help ensure people see it. Players are really good at ignoring things when they want to. After all, if I don't read the telegram warning me that I have 2 or more WA nations, they can't eject me, right? [/sarcasm]
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:07 am

The idea of having a GHR history available to the player was discussed a while ago, can't remember off the top of my head if it was rejected or not. Basically mods can see GHR history, but players can't see what they sent in or what the mods replied. I'm guessing VoM TGs would be treated the same as they both come from the same source, just GHRs have reference numbers as opposed to unsolicited (but usually deserved) VoM TGs.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Enfaru
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:19 am

Oh this isn't a fix aimed at that aspect Mouse, simply a matter of being able to go back over them myself, have them not take up inbox space and if there is something I do want to respond to, I want the opportunity to do that. Unfortunately I receive a lot of tgs and often telegrams can be lost between logins (I can't check every time I log in unfortunately).

Would also be nice to have a record of what we sent too...
Game Master
4th President and,

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:53 am

Mousebumples wrote:Players are really good at ignoring things when they want to.

People are really good at ignoring things when they want to. This roommate I had at university...

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Enfaru wrote:Oh this isn't a fix aimed at that aspect Mouse, simply a matter of being able to go back over them myself, have them not take up inbox space and if there is something I do want to respond to, I want the opportunity to do that. Unfortunately I receive a lot of tgs and often telegrams can be lost between logins (I can't check every time I log in unfortunately).

Would also be nice to have a record of what we sent too...

Before we got the expanded inbox, I was in the habit of copying most/all of my TGs over to a Word Doc. That was before I was checking on my phone all the time, ofc, but that would certainly be an option that would allow you (or others) to keep their TGs longer term.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:55 pm

-Would it be possible for them to not take up space in the priority inbox then?

-I'm assuming there's no viable work around for a [READ ME, I'M HERE!!!] notice for people, so would it be likely to have a sub inbox above or below your priority inbox?

The point is to not have these things take up space so any way we could achieve that would be grand.

Sacred Toast
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sacred Toast » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Enfaru wrote:An alternative to that would be to create a full width notice on the nation page (just under the banner but above the main flag of the nation) saying: Voice of Mod Telegram Received: Read Now!

I'll reiterate Blaat's concern. I don't think that your "fix" would really help ensure people see it. Players are really good at ignoring things when they want to. After all, if I don't read the telegram warning me that I have 2 or more WA nations, they can't eject me, right? [/sarcasm]

Question: How can players avoid a telegram if it is the first thing that pops up when they log on? I think they are saying you put the message on the homepage, that way everyone will see it, and it won't take up space. Once it is on the homepage it can have to buttons; 1) move to inbox 2) Delete telegram; either way, or ignoring it by clicking to a new page, this guarantees someone sees it.
Agnostic Theist who loves to discuss religious and political history (or future if you are so inclined)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical