NATION

PASSWORD

Issues not appearing and recurring

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Seranatitem
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Issues not appearing and recurring

Postby Seranatitem » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Hello I've been noticing for some time that I've been getting issues that I've had in the past as well as just today after waiting Six or Five hours or however long I am supposed to before getting a new issue which hasn't yet arrived for me.

North Krualstiken
Spokesperson

Founded: May 05, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby North Krualstiken » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:02 pm

We have what, 500 issues? They will tend to repeat.
Bow before me, Meurkiin. I am Michelangelo and you are my clay. I will sculpt you from simple farmers into mighty warriors, a weapon of war. You shall take my whip with gratitude, and praise me for each lash, for I am your master, and you; the slave.
General Dicking Around wrote:AND THEN JOHN SMASHED THE WINDOW AND FUCKED A GOOSE WITH A LIGHTSABER

Ectique
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ectique » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Seranatitem wrote:Hello I've been noticing for some time that I've been getting issues that I've had in the past as well as just today after waiting Six or Five hours or however long I am supposed to before getting a new issue which hasn't yet arrived for me.

Your country would stagnate pretty soon if they didn't repeat Well, that depends on how often you do them, I guess. I've answered over 75 since my founding, apparently. Well, this nation's founding.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Seranatitem wrote:Hello I've been noticing for some time that I've been getting issues that I've had in the past as well as just today after waiting Six or Five hours or however long I am supposed to before getting a new issue which hasn't yet arrived for me.

They are putting out issues all the time, so you will get new issues likely sooner rather than later. Look at the issue URLs, if they are 500 and something they are new. I had a glance at your nation, but you answer very different to me, so I recognised very few of the issues. If all else fails, answer issues drastically different. It will mess up your nation, but you will see different issues.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:45 am

North Krualstiken wrote:We have what, 500 issues?

Nearer to 600, now.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 am

600 isn't enough to avoid repetition for any length of time, of course. Hell, even 2000 wouldn't make much difference.

Say you have a pool of 500 issues to pull from, and each update you got 1 random issue.
(This isn't the way it works, of course, as the pool changes according to what validities you meet, and the game weights more recent issues to be more likely to appear. However, we'll use this example as our "spherical cow")

So, with 2 issues, your chance of no repeat is: 500/500 x 499/1000, or 99.8%
With 3 issues, your chance of no repeat is 500/500 x 499/1000 x 498/1000, or 99.4%

By 27 issues in, there's just over 50% chance that you've seen at least one repetition.
If we're talking 4 issues a day, then that's less than a week before you're more likely to see a repetition than not.

Let's up the numbers, and assume we get to the point where there are 2000 eligible issues for you to pull from. That's four times the effective pool. So are we talking 4 times as long before repetition?

Afraid not, now its 53 issues before there's a 50% chance of at least one repetition.

20,000 issues? Now it's a whopping 167 issues before you have a 50% chance of at least one repetition. Which is just 6 weeks.

So, no matter how many issues we add, you are ALWAYS going to be seeing repetitions. Play for long enough, and it will become actively surprising to see new issues.

However, because the clever way the game weights new issues with higher priority, you can be pretty certain that if you write a new issue, you've just brought a brand new experience to a huge number of NS gamers. A recent issue added to the game got answered 2100 times in 30 days, so when you write, you're writing for a decent audience.

So pop by the Got Issues forum, and start drafting!
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Technical