NATION

PASSWORD

DON'T PANIC! - Gameside down

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Exact timing would be less of a concern if there were a little more room in the issue folder so you don't have to check in multiple times a day just to keep it from filling up.

Another paid feature perhaps?
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Exact timing would be less of a concern if there were a little more room in the issue folder so you don't have to check in multiple times a day just to keep it from filling up.

You can slow issues down as far as 1 every 48 hours, you know. Or put the nation in vacation mode. You don't have to check in multiple times a day just to keep the issue page from filling up.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Phydios wrote:You can slow issues down as far as 1 every 48 hours, you know. Or put the nation in vacation mode. You don't have to check in multiple times a day just to keep the issue page from filling up.
Oh, sure! I could ask to receive fewer issues! That would totally solve the problem of receiving fewer issues than I asked for!

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Phydios wrote:You can slow issues down as far as 1 every 48 hours, you know. Or put the nation in vacation mode. You don't have to check in multiple times a day just to keep the issue page from filling up.
Oh, sure! I could ask to receive fewer issues! That would totally solve the problem of receiving fewer issues than I asked for!

I don't get it. You said you were having trouble with the issue page filling up too quickly. Now you say you're getting too few issues. What gives?
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:48 pm

If your issues fill up, you'll stop receiving issues until you answer some. Therefore, if you want to answer as many issues as you can, you have to constantly answer them before they fill up, which requires checking in multiple times per day.

Obviously, if you don't care about actually playing the game, then this isn't a problem.

Proticata
Envoy

Founded: Dec 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Proticata » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Because of this my perfect 12-6 issue timings have been ruined delayed by 1 hour and 50 minutes so annoyed

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Trotterdam wrote:If your issues fill up, you'll stop receiving issues until you answer some. Therefore, if you want to answer as many issues as you can, you have to constantly answer them before they fill up, which requires checking in multiple times per day.

Obviously, if you don't care about actually playing the game, then this isn't a problem.

4 issues a day, we can have 5 in the issue inbox. That doesn't take checking in multiple times a day. But I still think the number of issues you can hold should be increased, especially now we're approaching 600 issues.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Flanderlion wrote:4 issues a day, we can have 5 in the issue inbox. That doesn't take checking in multiple times a day.
First of all, no, the inbox limit is 4, not 5. Letting it fill up to 5 even briefly will delay the next issue and throw off your timing, so you can't ever let that happen.

Since you normally get 4 issues per day, that might appear to add up, provided you check in exactly once every 24 hours, rather than just "once a day". If you don't check in at the same time of day every day (such as due to something other than NationStates existing in your life and affecting your schedule, or maybe due to the server being down when you tried), you can end up with slightly more than 24 hours between logins - maybe even 30! - and get punished for it. If you want any kind of safety margin whatsoever, then yes, you need to check in multiple times a day.

And that's assuming that you're always answering issues as soon as they come up. If you ever want to bank even one or two issues to answer later - there are numerous reasons you might want this - then that just about halves your already inadequate safety margin. Kind of have to check in last thing before going to bed and first thing after waking up, and that still isn't very forgiving (most people sleep more than 6 hours, so that's a possible 2 issues - half your inbox allowance - right there, make sure you have room for them).

Or maybe an issue you submitted was accepted and you got the freebie sample, unexpectedly taking up part of your precious little issue space. Normally a good thing, but again it can throw off your timing because you're given very little lenience.

Nevermind if you might (horror) actually miss a single day.

Flanderlion wrote:But I still think the number of issues you can hold should be increased,
So wait, why are you arguing?
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:4 issues a day, we can have 5 in the issue inbox. That doesn't take checking in multiple times a day.
First of all, no, the inbox limit is 4, not 5. Letting it fill up to 5 even briefly will delay the next issue and throw off your timing, so you can't ever let that happen.

Since you normally get 4 issues per day, that might appear to add up, provided you check in exactly once every 24 hours, rather than just "once a day". If you don't check in at the same time of day every day (such as due to something other than NationStates existing in your life and affecting your schedule, or maybe due to the server being down when you tried), you can end up with slightly more than 24 hours between logins - maybe even 30! - and get punished for it. If you want any kind of safety margin whatsoever, then yes, you need to check in multiple times a day.

And that's assuming that you're always answering issues as soon as they come up. If you ever want to bank even one or two issues to answer later - there are numerous reasons you might want this - then that just about halves your already inadequate safety margin. Kind of have to check in last thing before going to bed and first thing after waking up, and that still isn't very forgiving (most people sleep more than 6 hours, so that's a possible 2 issues - half your inbox allowance - right there, make sure you have room for them).

Nevermind if you might (horror) actually miss a single day.

Flanderlion wrote:But I still think the number of issues you can hold should be increased,
So wait, why are you arguing?

I was adding in a correction (I hope), about being able to have 5 pending rather than 4, wasn't intending as argumentative. I thought you could have 5 issues and the timer only switched if you had 5 and the timer reached 6 hours = could be off though, haven't noticed my issue times change and I've stacked them to 5 a good portion of the time. Well, it has changed by an hour, but I'm guessing that is daylight saving on my end instead.
Information
Wishlist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:27 pm

Flanderlion wrote:I was adding in a correction (I hope), about being able to have 5 pending rather than 4, wasn't intending as argumentative. I thought you could have 5 issues and the timer only switched if you had 5 and the timer reached 6 hours = could be off though, haven't noticed my issue times change and I've stacked them to 5 a good portion of the time.
The behavior of a full issue box was observed by me and confirmed by [violet]. I have heard no report of it being changed since then, though I wouldn't know since I avoid letting that happen.

Flanderlion wrote:Well, it has changed by an hour, but I'm guessing that is daylight saving on my end instead.
It's weird. One of my nations seems to still be updating at the same time as before, one has been delayed up by about 60 minutes, and one has been delayed by about 70 minutes. I'm guessing the one that wasn't delayed was lucky to have its timer trigger before the server went down, while the others were scheduled to happen while the server was down, and so couldn't properly process it and start a new timer until later (though they're still scheduled a pretty significant time apart, so it's not just the server catching up on everything when it came back up).

DST in most countries switches off on the last Sunday of October (I just looked it up), so we're not near there yet.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:54 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:I was adding in a correction (I hope), about being able to have 5 pending rather than 4, wasn't intending as argumentative. I thought you could have 5 issues and the timer only switched if you had 5 and the timer reached 6 hours = could be off though, haven't noticed my issue times change and I've stacked them to 5 a good portion of the time.
The behavior of a full issue box was observed by me and confirmed by [violet]. I have heard no report of it being changed since then, though I wouldn't know since I avoid letting that happen.

Flanderlion wrote:Well, it has changed by an hour, but I'm guessing that is daylight saving on my end instead.
It's weird. One of my nations seems to still be updating at the same time as before, one has been delayed up by about 60 minutes, and one has been delayed by about 70 minutes. I'm guessing the one that wasn't delayed was lucky to have its timer trigger before the server went down, while the others were scheduled to happen while the server was down, and so couldn't properly process it and start a new timer until later (though they're still scheduled a pretty significant time apart, so it's not just the server catching up on everything when it came back up).

DST in most countries switches off on the last Sunday of October (I just looked it up), so we're not near there yet.

It was 6 and 12 my time pre server crash, now is 12.50 which one of those mildly irritating things now I've noticed it (literally 5 mins ago). I used to get issues at 5, but that may have just been pre this change when the Pacific updated then. Also NZ time, so we have daylight savings when others end it.
Information
Wishlist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:23 am

Flanderlion wrote:I used to get issues at 5, but that may have just been pre this change when the Pacific updated then.
Heh, I used to know exactly when the server update happened, but I've stopped paying attention and forgotten now that it doesn't matter for issues anymore.

Flanderlion wrote:Also NZ time, so we have daylight savings when others end it.
Ah. Well, that lasts "last Sunday September" to "first Sunday April", so it still shouldn't have been set either forward or backward anytime recently.

Ryanimus
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryanimus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:30 pm

One more gameside failure?

Nariterrr
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Is it down again?
Honestly who knows what about anything anymore.

Ryanimus
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryanimus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Katganistan wrote:No.

Odd. i should've taken a screenshot then, but I couldn't connect to the game-side of NationStates. For some reason, Cloudflare timed out my connections for a little bit.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Ryanimus wrote:
Katganistan wrote:No.

Odd. i should've taken a screenshot then, but I couldn't connect to the game-side of NationStates. For some reason, Cloudflare timed out my connections for a little bit.

It happens occasionally. Happening once does not mean that gameside is down, however.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical