NATION

PASSWORD

Quick Dossier Request

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Adevia-Ardvilla
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adevia-Ardvilla » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:42 am

Phydios wrote:
Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:One of the many reasons why the tomb symbol should only be on the Dossier.

Would you elaborate on these reasons? The symbol is coded to appear when any CTE'd nation is mentioned with the [nation] tags. Whoever updated the WFE of Ioraqus put "Vacant" within [nation] tags. If that gave unexpected results, that's not the game's fault. Have you never heard of the principle of "garbage in, garbage out"? A computer that is given incorrect input will give incorrect output even when there's nothing wrong with it. It's not a bug- it's bad input. The server that is adding those Boneyard links is doing exactly what it's told to do. Telegram Wadden-Amrum if it bothers you so much.
Edit: Here's an example of GIGO. When you put "a" at the beginning of your nation's demonym adjective, it produces what looks like an error in any issues that use that field. Yet there is nothing wrong with the issue or the server delivering it. The server was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. The error came from a bad custom field (garbage in), and once that field was fixed, the error in the issue (garbage out) disappeared. So in the case you cite, the unwanted tombstone symbol (garbage out) will disappear once the unnecessary [nation] tag (garbage in) is removed. It's not a bug.

Reasons are mistended Boneyard links such as this one, and the OP only says Dossiers. Violet didn't mean to add the link to the page.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:03 am

Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:
Phydios wrote:Would you elaborate on these reasons? The symbol is coded to appear when any CTE'd nation is mentioned with the [nation] tags. Whoever updated the WFE of Ioraqus put "Vacant" within [nation] tags. If that gave unexpected results, that's not the game's fault. Have you never heard of the principle of "garbage in, garbage out"? A computer that is given incorrect input will give incorrect output even when there's nothing wrong with it. It's not a bug- it's bad input. The server that is adding those Boneyard links is doing exactly what it's told to do. Telegram Wadden-Amrum if it bothers you so much.
Edit: Here's an example of GIGO. When you put "a" at the beginning of your nation's demonym adjective, it produces what looks like an error in any issues that use that field. Yet there is nothing wrong with the issue or the server delivering it. The server was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. The error came from a bad custom field (garbage in), and once that field was fixed, the error in the issue (garbage out) disappeared. So in the case you cite, the unwanted tombstone symbol (garbage out) will disappear once the unnecessary [nation] tag (garbage in) is removed. It's not a bug.

Reasons are mistended Boneyard links such as this one, and the OP only says Dossiers. Violet didn't mean to add the link to the page.

It appears that [violet] did not intend to make this site-wide, and NPS certainly didn't ask for it to be made site-wide. But [v] is aware that she did, and no one has found any major problems with it. The usefulness of having it appear site-wide is not outweighed by the minor formatting changes it causes. It would be stupid to limit this to Dossiers just because someone used a [nation] tag when they didn't intend to link to a nation. I wrote a long and informative response on why this is, and you seem to have read none of it. If you don't have any new arguments, there's no point in continuing this debate.
Last edited by Phydios on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:17 am

Is there a way you make the little grave marker obey BBCodes? At the very least the underline code? It makes WFEs and RMB posts look weird if they used a nation tag with underlining.
AKA Weed

Come Join Us II
Civil Servant

Founded: May 01, 2016
Corporate Police State

Postby Come Join Us II » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:21 am

It has made notices a little fucky.

-Souls
Last edited by Come Join Us II on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adevia-Ardvilla
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adevia-Ardvilla » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:57 am

Violet, please remove this symbol on all pages other than Dossiers to prevent any more bugs.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:01 am

Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:Violet, please remove this symbol on all pages other than Dossiers to prevent any more bugs.

The techies are going to want more than "because I say so," and from my reading of this thread, you have failed to indicate any bugs. Souls may have found one - but that might just be the downside of being on mobile, unfortunately.

You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Tweaks can be made, but the [.nation]vacant[/nation] reference you made earlier is not a bug, as has been explained to you already.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:Violet, please remove this symbol on all pages other than Dossiers to prevent any more bugs.

The techies are going to want more than "because I say so," and from my reading of this thread, you have failed to indicate any bugs. Souls may have found one - but that might just be the downside of being on mobile, unfortunately.

You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Tweaks can be made, but the [.nation]vacant[/nation] reference you made earlier is not a bug, as has been explained to you already.

That actually wasn't mobile, just a very small snip off my desktop :P
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Come Join Us II wrote:It has made notices a little fucky.

(Image)

-Souls

Thanks, should be fixed now.

Druma
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Druma » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:45 pm

The boneyard symbol shows up even when there is no extinct nation.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:54 am

Fixed, thanks for the report.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical