NATION

PASSWORD

Quick Dossier Request

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Founded: May 29, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Quick Dossier Request

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:48 am

For CTEd nations, would we be able to get a link to the boneyard for them on the page?

Currently it is just an empty name:

Edit: Removed unnecessary pic.
Last edited by NOrTh pAcIfiC spY on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:14 pm

Done!

Hopefully this doesn't break anything.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:42 am

[violet] wrote:Done!

I'm assuming this is intentional, but just in case - Boneyard link now also pops up anywhere else a nonexistent nation is put in [nation] tags or was otherwise previously linked, including regional happenings and WFE's.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:46 am

[violet] wrote:Done!

Working fine on my end, thank you very much. And cool icon, I've seen it around before but only just clicked. And that sounds useful EWS, I haven't checked it yet, but will do in a sec.

Edit: Just saw that, thanks for pointing it out, and it does seem more of a great QoL feature than an issue.
Last edited by NOrTh pAcIfiC spY on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:52 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:I'm assuming this is intentional, but just in case - Boneyard link now also pops up anywhere else a nonexistent nation is put in [nation] tags or was otherwise previously linked, including regional happenings and WFE's.

Yes, which I think is fine... I have a nagging feeling that it's going to be a problem somewhere, but can't think where.

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:06 am

[violet] wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:I'm assuming this is intentional, but just in case - Boneyard link now also pops up anywhere else a nonexistent nation is put in [nation] tags or was otherwise previously linked, including regional happenings and WFE's.

Yes, which I think is fine... I have a nagging feeling that it's going to be a problem somewhere, but can't think where.

Checked Challenge, looked fine. Checked Boneyard, looked fine. Checked API, couldn't open CTEd nation so was fine. SC proposals had a bit of a weird space where the names fit in, then the boneyard symbol, then the 's but not really an issue. Forumside looked fine for CTEd nations.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:12 am

North Pacific Spy wrote:
[violet] wrote:Yes, which I think is fine... I have a nagging feeling that it's going to be a problem somewhere, but can't think where.

Checked Challenge, looked fine. Checked Boneyard, looked fine. Checked API, couldn't open CTEd nation so was fine. SC proposals had a bit of a weird space where the names fit in, then the boneyard symbol, then the 's but not really an issue. Forumside looked fine for CTEd nations.

Ex factbooks page? I'm thinking of a CTEd nation with a factbook, but I don't know any by heart. If you know: http://www.nationstates.net/page=exfactbooks

Perhaps try to pin such a factbook in a region, see what happens (or I can do it, after I know one)
The Blaatschapen should resign

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:28 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
North Pacific Spy wrote:Checked Challenge, looked fine. Checked Boneyard, looked fine. Checked API, couldn't open CTEd nation so was fine. SC proposals had a bit of a weird space where the names fit in, then the boneyard symbol, then the 's but not really an issue. Forumside looked fine for CTEd nations.

Ex factbooks page? I'm thinking of a CTEd nation with a factbook, but I don't know any by heart. If you know: http://www.nationstates.net/page=exfactbooks

Perhaps try to pin such a factbook in a region, see what happens (or I can do it, after I know one)

http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=356154 - Feux's nation. It just adds a weird space in places - the picture on this one is obviously broken because his nation CTEd, which deletes the link to his flag. Would you be able to pin it if it isn't too much trouble, I don't want to have to figure out passwords for whatever founder I have or create a new nation.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:41 am

North Pacific Spy wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=356154 - Feux's nation. It just adds a weird space in places - the picture on this one is obviously broken because his nation CTEd, which deletes the link to his flag. Would you be able to pin it if it isn't too much trouble, I don't want to have to figure out passwords for whatever founder I have or create a new nation.

Logged in my puppet, turns out they already have a dispatch pinned from a CTE nation:

Anyway: You can see http://www.nationstates.net/region=the
The Blaatschapen should resign

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
North Pacific Spy wrote:http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=356154 - Feux's nation. It just adds a weird space in places - the picture on this one is obviously broken because his nation CTEd, which deletes the link to his flag. Would you be able to pin it if it isn't too much trouble, I don't want to have to figure out passwords for whatever founder I have or create a new nation.

Logged in my puppet, turns out they already have a dispatch pinned from a CTE nation:

Anyway: You can see http://www.nationstates.net/region=the

Thanks for checking for me - and I've got the weird glitch where I can see this on regional happenings: 77 minutes ago: The The The The The The The The of The added a dispatch. But on the Activity pages for both the region and nation and the nation page of The it doesn't pop up.

But regarding the change, it doesn't seem to have crashed anything or made anything explode, bar the odd spaces in places with spaces after nation names.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:27 am

Minor thing, but unlike flags, the strikethrough doesn't seem to carry to the image for the boneyard.

See: For example, SC #18, or #14 & #15 for it happening in the middle of a paragraph.
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:47 pm

The tombstone symbol is also showing up in regional controls in the authority area for regions that do not have a sitting Delegate.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 am

[violet] wrote:

Possibly when a CTE'd nation is reused, should that occur?
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:48 am

North Pacific Spy wrote:
[violet] wrote:Yes, which I think is fine... I have a nagging feeling that it's going to be a problem somewhere, but can't think where.

CTE-d issue authors look fine on the issues
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Adevia-Ardvilla
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adevia-Ardvilla » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:48 am

I would prefer if the tombstone only appeared on the Dossier and not anywhere else. But apart from that, I like it.
Last edited by Adevia-Ardvilla on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:I would prefer if the tombstone only appeared on the Dossier and not anywhere else. But apart from that, I like it.

Personally, I kind of like it popping up everywhere, and from the random comments I've seen around NS (haven't talked to my brother to get a typical stereotypical native viewpoint in fairness) have been positive. I think this one was the post I thought summed up stuff the best: http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=20873148

The spacing is a little weird in places, and minor other teething stuff people mentioned above, but I'd much prefer this feature to stay. Obviously I'm biased though.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

I also enjoy this symbol appearing everywhere where CTE'd nations are mentioned. Why should it be limited to your Dossier?
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Adevia-Ardvilla
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adevia-Ardvilla » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:24 am

But the symbol also appears where the author of the WFE, dispatch or factbook did not mean to mention a former nation, inculding Vacant.

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:30 am

Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:But the symbol also appears where the author of the WFE, dispatch or factbook did not mean to mention a former nation, inculding Vacant.

It is where they tagged a nation with the [nation] tags, so they did mean for it to be there, or at least a link to the nation when it was still alive. But I did find a bug, in the notices when it says you got a recruitment TG (from a DOS players recruitment nation I believe - still running somehow) from a CTEd nation it messes up the notification on the hover menu. Although this is more of an issue with a CTEd nation being able to send TGs etc.

Adevia-Ardvilla
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adevia-Ardvilla » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:44 am

North Pacific Spy wrote:
Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:But the symbol also appears where the author of the WFE, dispatch or factbook did not mean to mention a former nation, inculding Vacant.

It is where they tagged a nation with the [nation] tags, so they did mean for it to be there, or at least a link to the nation when it was still alive. But I did find a bug, in the notices when it says you got a recruitment TG (from a DOS players recruitment nation I believe - still running somehow) from a CTEd nation it messes up the notification on the hover menu. Although this is more of an issue with a CTEd nation being able to send TGs etc.

But in the instance I saw, the nation did not mean to mention the former nation of Vacant. They just meant to mention that the postion in the region was vacant.

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:01 am

Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:
North Pacific Spy wrote:It is where they tagged a nation with the [nation] tags, so they did mean for it to be there, or at least a link to the nation when it was still alive. But I did find a bug, in the notices when it says you got a recruitment TG (from a DOS players recruitment nation I believe - still running somehow) from a CTEd nation it messes up the notification on the hover menu. Although this is more of an issue with a CTEd nation being able to send TGs etc.

But in the instance I saw, the nation did not mean to mention the former nation of Vacant. They just meant to mention that the postion in the region was vacant.

Link this case? It sounds like the author had a nation in a position, and wrote the nations name in the [nation] tags beside the position the nation occupied. Then the old nation CTEd and was removed from his position. The author then edited it to replace the nations name with vacant, but left the [nation] tags behind. If someone decided to refound the nation Vacant prior (yes, I checked and saw that it wasn't soiled) to this change, there would be the exact same issue. The author of the dispatch/factbook/WFE or whatever the example was using Vacant as the nation rather than vacant the word. It's intended behaviour to treat a word in [nation] tags as a nation, even if the author him/herself didn't intend it that way and just wanted to save themselves from typing out the [nation] tags again.

Adevia-Ardvilla
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adevia-Ardvilla » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:03 am

Link is http://www.nationstates.net/region=ioraqus and he didn't mean to say the nation Vacant.
Last edited by Adevia-Ardvilla on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NOrTh pAcIfiC spY
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby NOrTh pAcIfiC spY » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:15 am

Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:Link is http://www.nationstates.net/region=ioraqus and he didn't mean to say the nation Vacant.

I agree with you about him not meaning to say the nation Vacant. I'm just disagreeing that it is a bug. Look here: http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api ... on=ioraqus - the author has left the [nation] tags in around when he replaced the prior nations name with Vacant. The game can't guess the authors intentions, even if we as humans can.

Adevia-Ardvilla
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Adevia-Ardvilla » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:46 am

North Pacific Spy wrote:
Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:Link is http://www.nationstates.net/region=ioraqus and he didn't mean to say the nation Vacant.

I agree with you about him not meaning to say the nation Vacant. I'm just disagreeing that it is a bug. Look here: http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api ... on=ioraqus - the author has left the [nation] tags in around when he replaced the prior nations name with Vacant. The game can't guess the authors intentions, even if we as humans can.

One of the many reasons why the tomb symbol should only be on the Dossier.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:58 am

Adevia-Ardvilla wrote:
North Pacific Spy wrote:I agree with you about him not meaning to say the nation Vacant. I'm just disagreeing that it is a bug. Look here: http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/api ... on=ioraqus - the author has left the [nation] tags in around when he replaced the prior nations name with Vacant. The game can't guess the authors intentions, even if we as humans can.

One of the many reasons why the tomb symbol should only be on the Dossier.

Would you elaborate on these reasons? The symbol is coded to appear when any CTE'd nation is mentioned with the [nation] tags. Whoever updated the WFE of Ioraqus put "Vacant" within [nation] tags. If that gave unexpected results, that's not the game's fault. Have you never heard of the principle of "garbage in, garbage out"? A computer that is given incorrect input will give incorrect output even when there's nothing wrong with it. It's not a bug- it's bad input. The server that is adding those Boneyard links is doing exactly what it's told to do. Telegram Wadden-Amrum if it bothers you so much.
Edit: Here's an example of GIGO. When you put "a" at the beginning of your nation's demonym adjective, it produces what looks like an error in any issues that use that field. Yet there is nothing wrong with the issue or the server delivering it. The server was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. The error came from a bad custom field (garbage in), and once that field was fixed, the error in the issue (garbage out) disappeared. So in the case you cite, the unwanted tombstone symbol (garbage out) will disappear once the unnecessary [nation] tag (garbage in) is removed. It's not a bug.
Last edited by Phydios on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical