NATION

PASSWORD

[Query/Bug?] Italics in gameside motto

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Tyrinth
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Query/Bug?] Italics in gameside motto

Postby Tyrinth » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:13 am

In my gameside national motto kanji gets the standard motto auto-italicization but kana does not, which leads to not only it looking strange, but also some overlap between characters (which I wager could get even worse depending on what was written.)

Just wondering if this is working as intended, or something that could potentially be fixed?

I tried reentering the motto to see if that did anything, but it didn't seem to change at all.

http://i.imgur.com/pS1dhHT.png
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。
Ardoki wrote:Hitler was basically a libertarian, he supported the libertarian ideology of social Darwinism.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 am

Does Japanese even use italics? My impression was that Japanese tends to use katakana for the same types of situations where English uses italics. Computer typesetting developed an "italics is a property that can be imposed onto any character" mentality because the standards were developed in Roman-alphabet-using countries, where italics looks good and is traditional. As such, it may be a fluke which Japanese fonts (or parts of fonts) actually support italics, explaining the discrepancy.

I would suspect that this is on your end, not something in NationStates. Have you tried testing how italics Japanese works in a word processing program? (I don't have a Japanese font at all on my computer, I can't tell you.)

It's not an issue on Antiquity, which doesn't italicize mottos.

Tyrinth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrinth » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Does Japanese even use italics? My impression was that Japanese tends to use katakana for the same types of situations where English uses italics. Computer typesetting developed an "italics is a property that can be imposed onto any character" mentality because the standards were developed in Roman-alphabet-using countries, where italics looks good and is traditional. As such, it may be a fluke which Japanese fonts (or parts of fonts) actually support italics, explaining the discrepancy.

I would suspect that this is on your end, not something in NationStates. Have you tried testing how italics Japanese works in a word processing program? (I don't have a Japanese font at all on my computer, I can't tell you.)

It's not an issue on Antiquity, which doesn't italicize mottos.

It can be italicized, but it just doesn't in the motto.

I like the new theme, so I'd rather not be forced to switch back as a fix.
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。
Ardoki wrote:Hitler was basically a libertarian, he supported the libertarian ideology of social Darwinism.

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2013

Postby Sandaoguo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:00 pm

You don't have a font on your computer that has an italics variant for kana script, or the one you've set as the default for displaying kana script doesn't have an italics variant.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:03 pm

There's certainly nothing in the HTML or CSS code that would result in only part of a motto being italicized. The entire thing is in one text chunk.

I had another look at your nation page, but you seem to have changed your motto to a shorter one than the one from your screenshot. However, both now and last time I checked, though I don't have a Japanese font, all of the I-don't-know-what-this-character-is question marks were italicized in non-Antiquity themes.

My only advice is to try different Japanese fonts in your word processor / browser settings. If you remember italics working for kana, that may have been on a different font.

For that matter, try posting the motto that's causing the trouble to the forum?

Tyrinth
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrinth » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:02 am

As an update, it seems to have fixed itself. Though now absolutely nothing is italicized. Better than the half and half at least.

It's strange, because I've used Japanese in my motto for a long time and never had this issue.

I really have no idea what's going on.

Consider this resolved, I suppose.
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。

Return to Technical