NATION

PASSWORD

Budgetary black magic

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
G-Max
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Budgetary black magic

Postby G-Max » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:38 am

My tax rate is only 4.9%, government spending is 7.3% of GDP, and yet I'm not running a deficit.

How is this achieved without crazy inflation?
Last edited by G-Max on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:46 am

Government monopoly over the supply of some important material (gold, silver, oil, honey, whatever) which it sells at a profit?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Albrook
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Albrook » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am

Let the income tax rate in Albrook be 4.6% (0.046), the GDP be 530 trillion (5.3 x 10^12) Brozoufs, the national average income is 71,911 per capita, the population is 7.384 billion, and the government spending be 25% of GDP.

Every year, a citizen will pay (f(x)=[Average Income]*[Income Tax Rate]) $3,307.90 in taxes.

The government spends (f(x)=[GDP]*[Percentage of GDP used for Government Spending]) 1.325 x 10^12 Brozoufs per year ($132,500,000,000,000).

The government ideally brings in (f(x)=[Amount citizen pays in taxes]*[Population]) 2.44*10^13 Brozoufs per year through the income tax, neglecting deductions, tax evasion, exemptions, and the age of majority. Especially because without these the number exceeds the GDP.

Through these findings, the Albrookian national government probably is not entering deficit spending, but there is not enough official information available to determine that because of the ambiguity of tax income without looking into third-party tools, such as NSEconomy or something.

Through this, it can be possible for a lower tax rate and higher population to yield not being in deficit spending. A penny from a population of billions translate into millions for the benefactor. For a smaller nation, however, it can be possible that this is definitely deficit spending. But it's hard to tell through the ambiguity.

EDIT: So total government expenditure is a given value as well. Luckily, my number matches.
Last edited by Albrook on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Government monopoly over the supply of some important material (gold, silver, oil, honey, whatever) which it sells at a profit?

Or state-owned industries in general. They can sometimes be run at a profit, despite the convictions of conservative pundits.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

G-Max
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby G-Max » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Well, my economy is almost entirely beverage sales, pizza delivery, and the military... the military isn't profitable and the other two aren't state-owned, so I have no idea :eyebrow:

Is there any way to check?

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:27 am

It would be on your Economy tab, but it looks like you don't have any.

Income tax appears to provide about 2/3rds of your government budget. I think you'll just have to assume that other types of tax account for the rest.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Return to Technical