NATION

PASSWORD

iPhone troubles

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

iPhone troubles

Postby Galloism » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Ok, recently I have had to fall back on using my iPhone as my main source of nsg postings. I have a 16gb iPhone 3GS. It reads, loads, and scrolls fine. The problem is when I go to reply. I start typing, and I get about a sentence into the box (give or take a word or two) and I can't type any further. If I backspace, it doesn't delete the characters, but replaces them with little figures that look like Chinese characters. Reloading the page once or twice gets me a box I can use. Any thoughts?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

East Fancainia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Fancainia » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Galloism wrote:Ok, recently I have had to fall back on using my iPhone as my main source of nsg postings. I have a 16gb iPhone 3GS. It reads, loads, and scrolls fine. The problem is when I go to reply. I start typing, and I get about a sentence into the box (give or take a word or two) and I can't type any further. If I backspace, it doesn't delete the characters, but replaces them with little figures that look like Chinese characters. Reloading the page once or twice gets me a box I can use. Any thoughts?

Happens to me all the time, so just use a laptop. Or maybe if you have a Wifi Cafe near you? I don't know of much else other than your normal computer.

Testlandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Testlandia » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:59 pm

This is me testing out some typing on the iPhone. So far I am typing without any problems, but let's see what happens if I keep going. Apparently I will need to type a few sentences to hit this bug.

Hmm. No problems so far.

Here is a bit more text. All still working fine.

Trying Preview. That worked too.

Does this problem happen all the time, or just occasionally? Is there some way to trigger it? Because it's all working fine here.

Typed on an iPhone 16GB 3GS.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Testlandia wrote:This is me testing out some typing on the iPhone. So far I am typing without any problems, but let's see what happens if I keep going. Apparently I will need to type a few sentences to hit this bug.

Hmm. No problems so far.

Does this problem happen all the time, or just occasionally? Is there some way to trigger it? Because it's all working fine here.

I figured it would work...
btw, are you the Max Barry, or the test nation the techies use? ;)

New Spartzerina
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Spartzerina » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:03 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Testlandia wrote:This is me testing out some typing on the iPhone. So far I am typing without any problems, but let's see what happens if I keep going. Apparently I will need to type a few sentences to hit this bug.

Hmm. No problems so far.

Max Barry has logged into that nation at least once...

http://www.nationstates.net/images/nshols09.jpg
New main nation! Spartzerium

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:07 pm

It happens pretty often. It happened once while I was trying to respond to this, but no, not every time. That time, I got to " it happens pretty often, bu" before it wouldn't go anymore. I'm on 3g not wifi, if that makes any difference.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Mykola
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mykola » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:14 pm

New Spartzerina wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:

Hmm. No problems so far.

Max Barry has logged into that nation at least once...

http://www.nationstates.net/images/nshols09.jpg

You're right. He works in mysterious ways. Hiding himself throughout the game. Who knows, maybe next Christmas you will see him logged in as YOU Spartz. That would definitely creep me out.
Proud member of Tyrrhenia roleplaying community

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:16 pm

I've been bashing away but I can't reproduce it. Any way (eg sequence of letters) that makes it happen every time?

Pythagosaurus
Cute Purple Dinosaur

Founded: Nov 24, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythagosaurus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 pm

We all use Testlandia on occasion, but that was [violet]. I presume she had already been logged into that nation for testing the mobile site.

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Fri May 07, 2010 12:27 pm

I think I know how to reproduce it... this happens to me on my iTouch all the time.

When you hit "Post Reply," at the top of the screen on the iTouch/iPhone it shows the page loading (where the website is; i.e. http://www.nationstates.net). It gets more and more blue as it loads. I've noticed that if you start typing BEFORE the page fully loads, you will get this problem, however if you wait until the page is done loading it doesn't happen.
Romulus Dion-Capulet Diablessa Potentia, Son of Elindra Kshrlmnt and Avakael Diablessa. Proud Grandson of Heras Savaer Dion
Former WA Delegate of Unknown
Raids participated in (regardless of outcome): 26

Mayor For Life
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayor For Life » Fri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm

There is a problem with iPhone Safari browser and m.nationstates.net RMB forms: one can't scroll. Handhelds are essentially mouseless, so we can't go back through the stuff we've typed to post on an RMB to fix errors after it's scrolled out of the form box without first erasing everything after the mistake.

This is not a problem on this forum as the full version of the Tapatalk app is just awesome.

Although I've been a fan of the Opera browser for years, the new iPhone version is not ready for prime time and I don't recommend it as an alternative. Although it's faster than Safari, the Java is wonky (you can accidentally activate the buttons behind the black drop-down menu), it lacks basic forms functionality, and it doesn't resize the site when you go from portrait to landscape mode.

I'm interested in the experience of people using screen screen readers and other assistance to access the Internet.

If I'm just reading NS, Opera mini is fine. If I want to post a couple of sentences, I'm back in Safari. If I want to powerpost here, either a laptop or Tapatalk will do. Powerpost on an RMB? Probably not on the mobile device. At least yet.

But a vertical scroll bar would be nice in the RMB post form at m.nationstates.net.
:bow:

Mayor for Life
Founder of Ulthar

Hassett
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Hassett » Fri May 07, 2010 3:03 pm

That happens to me occassionally as well, you have to wait until the page fully loads before you start typing and wait for the cursor to appear or else it glitches out.
EDIT: I use a 2nd gen Ipod Touch 8gb jailbroken with 3.0.x software
Last edited by Hassett on Fri May 07, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black and Yellow
Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
-Former United States
-Hassett: A History through Flags

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Fri May 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Mayor For Life wrote:There is a problem with iPhone Safari browser and m.nationstates.net RMB forms: one can't scroll.
But a vertical scroll bar would be nice in the RMB post form at m.nationstates.net.

I think this is Apple's decision: they don't give you scroll bars on the iPhone because there's no way to drag them.

You can actually scroll up and down though (slowly) by touching the screen in the form field somewhere, holding it there for a second until the magnifying circle shows up, then sliding your finger to the top or bottom edge of the box you want to scroll.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Fri May 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Hassett wrote:That happens to me occassionally as well, you have to wait until the page fully loads before you start typing and wait for the cursor to appear or else it glitches out.

Aha! Reproduced, thank you very much. You are quite correct.

Unfortunately that's an Apple error and there's nothing I can do about it.

Zykorinov
Minister

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zykorinov » Fri May 07, 2010 5:03 pm

NS works fine on my Impression. Don't know if it's the same for an iPhone, but worth the mention?
i̛̺̯̝̥̗̬̲'̢̺͎͎̏ͪ̏ͪ̓m͚̠̑̊ͥͯͣ ̩͍͈̓͂͂̿a̛̬̞̗̻̱͎̙̔ ̱̮̜͗ͫfͬ́ͭ̽͏̤͍̟̤͖̼a̯͇ͣ̒̃͐̈́m͖̞̘̉̍ͦ͆ͯoͯ̆͗ͫ̽͏̰̻̜̬̲̞̺u͂ͪ̎ͥ̿̅̾̕ṣ͕͇̭ͩ͂͠ ̠̟͗̃̾͋ͩͅs̢͎̻̟̙͖̖̬ͪ̏̈̅t̝̮̥̳̭͍̥ͦ͊ǫ̪̥̾̿̏̾ͩͩ̅r̼͖̘̤̈͗̈́m̡̼͎̦̙̜̜ͪͫ̆̃̅ͩẗ̢̠͍́͗ͥ̈rͣ̾̌͏͎̤̣͉̮̹͙o̖̞͕͌o͖̯͙̝̺̔ͥ̓̽̒͑͝p͆e̙͌̍ͧͨr̵͇̳̲̼͎͛ͭͦͧ͛ͦͣ

Mayor For Life
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayor For Life » Fri May 07, 2010 5:04 pm

[violet] wrote:
Mayor For Life wrote:There is a problem with iPhone Safari browser and m.nationstates.net RMB forms: one can't scroll.

I think this is Apple's decision: they don't give you scroll bars on the iPhone because there's no way to drag them.

You can actually scroll up and down though (slowly) by touching the screen in the form field somewhere, holding it there for a second until the magnifying circle shows up, then sliding your finger to the top or bottom edge of the box you want to scroll.

Yep. It's an Apple feature/bug. Nothing you can do to fix it. Getting that stupid magnifying glass thingy to pop up in a form is a challenge to manual dexterity.

Not my strength. Scrollbar appears in RMB post form in Firefox, not in any version of Safari AFAIK. Stoopid Apple. I finally found a browser I hate almost as much as Internet Exploder.

Thanks anyway.

Mayor for Life
Founder of Ulthar

Orlkjestad
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlkjestad » Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 pm

On the internet browser, the area where you type the URL starts filling in blue when it is loading. Wait until its full, and then write.
The Reformed Republican Union Of Orlkjestad
Comrade-President Leon Palantine
Vice President Arcturo Tarentum
Secretary Of Foreign Affaires Marco Valentia
Storefronts: They're all under construction, please go away
Alliances: Forever alone
Other Threads: The Severan Faith
Alert Levels
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Terrorism Alert Levels: [Low] Guarded Elevated High Severe

"Although we see the world through different eyes, we share the same idea of paradise." -The Pet Shop Boys in Se A Vida E

WWII History Geeks
Minister

Founded: Mar 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby WWII History Geeks » Fri May 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Galloism wrote:Ok, recently I have had to fall back on using my iPhone as my main source of nsg postings. I have a 16gb iPhone 3GS. It reads, loads, and scrolls fine. The problem is when I go to reply. I start typing, and I get about a sentence into the box (give or take a word or two) and I can't type any further. If I backspace, it doesn't delete the characters, but replaces them with little figures that look like Chinese characters. Reloading the page once or twice gets me a box I can use. Any thoughts?

I believe your problem is simply having the iPhone to begin with. I suggest tossing it in a washing machine for a few cycles, or simply backing a hearty SUV over it. Have nice day! :lol:
The goldfish crackers will win. Do you know why they smile? Because when they get inside you they start eating you from the inside out.

Grandtaria: "I would rather live my life each day thinking there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live my thinking that there isn't and die to find out there is."
Conservative Morality: "When in Rome, do as the Romans. When out of Rome, do as the Romans anyway, it's not like anyone is ballsy enough to piss off Rome."

Finally fixed: The thread may be gone, but I'm still a "To Hell with This'er!," damnit! :D

Boob sisters with Celestial Divinities!

Usual People In Life
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Usual People In Life » Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 am

Hassett wrote:That happens to me occassionally as well, you have to wait until the page fully loads before you start typing and wait for the cursor to appear or else it glitches out.
EDIT: I use a 2nd gen Ipod Touch 8gb jailbroken with 3.0.x software

Can I just say it is a bad idea to use a jailbroken iPhone or iTouch because these are VERY prone to viruses!
When is a nation not a nation? When it's a region!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical