NATION

PASSWORD

The Game Store.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Hellsing Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Game Store.

Postby The Hellsing Empire » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:12 am

I don't know about you guys, but it would be nice if they added more items or some form of content to the game store. I don't mind spending money on this game, especially content that can help my nation and what-not. I don't know what they could add specificly, but something would be nice.
~Lord Emothic Von Hellsing. Cheif Representative of the Hellsing Empire

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:41 am

The Hellsing Empire wrote:I don't mind spending money on this game, especially content that can help my nation and what-not.

The staff made the decision long ago that we weren't building this game so that wealthier players could 'win' or even advance faster. It's a level playing field for anyone with internet access. The one minor paid advantage is allowing stamps to ease recruitment.

British Empire Strikes Back
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby British Empire Strikes Back » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:43 am

Why doesn't NationStates sell official merchandise? Such as t-shirts, hats, buttons, bumper stickers, etc? That might do well.
A World In Disarray- 2017: Join Now!
Proud Jewish Progressive Democrat!
Hillary Clinton Is Our Legitimate President! Gore/Newsom/Sanders/Brown/Cuomo/The Rock 2020

"My daughter is a sex object, our favorite activity to do together as father and daughter is have sex.", Anti-Semite, Racist, Sexist, Mentally-Ill, Morbidly-Obese, Extremely-Low IQ, King of The Lunatics, Donald Trump.

The Hellsing Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hellsing Empire » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:44 am

British Empire Strikes Back wrote:Why doesn't NationStates sell official merchandise? Such as t-shirts, hats, buttons, bumper stickers, etc? That might do well.

Seriously.
~Lord Emothic Von Hellsing. Cheif Representative of the Hellsing Empire

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:46 am

The Hellsing Empire wrote:
British Empire Strikes Back wrote:Why doesn't NationStates sell official merchandise? Such as t-shirts, hats, buttons, bumper stickers, etc? That might do well.

Seriously.

What would be on said merchandise, though?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby British Empire Strikes Back » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:02 am

Valrifell wrote:
The Hellsing Empire wrote:
Seriously.

"NationStates"

"I play NationStates, do you?"

"Got NationStates?"

For an additional fee, you could have people select merchandise with their nation's name and flag on it.
Hillary Clinton Is Our Legitimate President! Gore/Newsom/Sanders/Brown/Cuomo/The Rock 2020

"My daughter is a sex object, our favorite activity to do together as father and daughter is have sex.", Anti-Semite, Racist, Sexist, Mentally-Ill, Morbidly-Obese, Extremely-Low IQ, King of The Lunatics, Donald Trump.

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:48 am

British Empire Strikes Back wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

"NationStates"

"Got NationStates?"

For an additional fee, you could have people select merchandise with their nation's name and flag on it.

Can't do that, some flags have a copyright
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby British Empire Strikes Back » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:57 am

Canton Empire wrote:
British Empire Strikes Back wrote:"NationStates"

"Got NationStates?"

Can't do that, some flags have a copyright

Well, either just do it for pre-selected flags or use a simple algorithum to check if an image is free or not.

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:10 pm

British Empire Strikes Back wrote:
Canton Empire wrote:Can't do that, some flags have a copyright

Well, either just do it for pre-selected flags or use a simple algorithum to check if an image is free or not.

That might work
I personally want a green hoodie with the WA logo on the front that says got WA? In the back
Also if you buy 10,000 Tg stamps, you get a free NS t shirt
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Canton Empire wrote:That might work
I personally want a green hoodie with the WA logo on the front that says got WA? In the back
Also if you buy 10,000 Tg stamps, you get a free NS t shirt

at $1/1000 stamps, 10,000 stamps are only $10. You'd be losing money on shirts even before shipping at that rate.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:30 pm

If you want a shirt, join the UDL. From what I hear, UDL merch was very comfortable.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:If you want a shirt, join the UDL. From what I hear, UDL merch was very comfortable.

It was. I used to use the shirt as pyjamas.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:If you want a shirt, join the UDL. From what I hear, UDL merch was very comfortable.

UDL merchandise is the best quality you can get. :)

Letoilenoir
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Letoilenoir » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Belschaft wrote:

It was. I used to use the shirt as pyjamas.

But what was the reasoning behind sewing the sleeves shut and adding those straps?
:p
KEEP THE BLOOD CAVE FREE

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

The Game Store.

Postby Parhe » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
The Hellsing Empire wrote:I don't mind spending money on this game, especially content that can help my nation and what-not.

The staff made the decision long ago that we weren't building this game so that wealthier players could 'win' or even advance faster. It's a level playing field for anyone with internet access. The one minor paid advantage is allowing stamps to ease recruitment.

Y'all could even just sell signatures
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby British Empire Strikes Back » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Or mugs, buttons, underwear, dog clothes, bibs, towels, etc?

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:42 pm

Let's be serious for a second here. Would you, or the average NS player, reallllllly sit down, type in your credit card number, and pay real cash for a signature from [Violet], Security Council Boxer Briefs, a towel embroidered with GA logo (for uses other than to wipe your ass with), and so forth?

I could imagine shirts, and maybe even mugs being a thing, if there was enough support. But even if we assume there IS an interest, I can also imagine it'd be a pain in the ass for NS - it means licensing, contracting and purchasing actual, physical merchandise, storing it somewhere, and shipping to a literally global userbase. If your NS t-shirt come with a 30 dollar shipping charge from Australia to Finland, is it still that attractive compared to making one yourself with an iron-on?
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:I can also imagine it'd be a pain in the ass for NS - it means licensing, contracting and purchasing actual, physical merchandise, storing it somewhere, and shipping to a literally global userbase.

It's not actually that big a problem. There are outfits like CafePress that can take digital images and process them onto a whole variety of stuff in an on-demand basis. There's no stored inventory and no overhead on our end.

That said, I seem to recall that [violet] couldn't be bothered to set it up. I don't remember if it was due to copyright issues with Max's publisher, or lack of availability in Australia, or simply that it was too much bother for too little return (the products are quite expensive, and CafePress keeps most of it). Or maybe something else.

In any event, NS merchandise isn't likely to be offered ... unless [v] sees this thread and decides to revisit the topic. Totally up to her, of course.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:41 pm

But... but...what about my NS-coffee mug? *pouty face*

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

The Game Store.

Postby Parhe » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Let's be serious for a second here. Would you, or the average NS player, reallllllly sit down, type in your credit card number, and pay real cash for a signature from [Violet], Security Council Boxer Briefs, a towel embroidered with GA logo (for uses other than to wipe your ass with), and so forth?

I could imagine shirts, and maybe even mugs being a thing, if there was enough support. But even if we assume there IS an interest, I can also imagine it'd be a pain in the ass for NS - it means licensing, contracting and purchasing actual, physical merchandise, storing it somewhere, and shipping to a literally global userbase. If your NS t-shirt come with a 30 dollar shipping charge from Australia to Finland, is it still that attractive compared to making one yourself with an iron-on?

Maybe not from Violet but yes .-.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Looking through the News Archive for something else earlier, and I stumbled upon this news post. Apparently NS used to have a store, well over a decade ago. My guess is that it wasn't successful enough then to merit the time that was spent on upkeep, etc., but I certainly can't say that for certain. As Fris said above, the only thing we really can do is wait and see what [violet]'s thoughts are on this.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby British Empire Strikes Back » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:12 pm

What if someone reaches out to NS, and want to license your trademarks for merchandise?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 pm

British Empire Strikes Back wrote:What if someone reaches out to NS, and want to license your trademarks for merchandise?

File a GHR if you're serious about that. I'm not involved in that process at all myself.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Looking through the News Archive for something else earlier, and I stumbled upon this news post. Apparently NS used to have a store, well over a decade ago. My guess is that it wasn't successful enough then to merit the time that was spent on upkeep, etc., but I certainly can't say that for certain. As Fris said above, the only thing we really can do is wait and see what [violet]'s thoughts are on this.

From memory it generated $8. Admittedly, the T-shirts weren't very exciting. But since then merchandise has never been viewed as a likely revenue source.

Kazmr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazmr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:35 pm

[violet] wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Looking through the News Archive for something else earlier, and I stumbled upon this news post. Apparently NS used to have a store, well over a decade ago. My guess is that it wasn't successful enough then to merit the time that was spent on upkeep, etc., but I certainly can't say that for certain. As Fris said above, the only thing we really can do is wait and see what [violet]'s thoughts are on this.

From memory it generated $8. Admittedly, the T-shirts weren't very exciting. But since then merchandise has never been viewed as a likely revenue source.

I would personally buy one if it was ever set up :P Id also love to find the handful of people that generated that loney!
Former Chairman of the Peoples Republic of Lazarus
Officer of the Lazarene Liberation Army
Also known as United Gordonopia

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical