NATION

PASSWORD

Getting Logged Out Randomly

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Getting Logged Out Randomly

Postby Aquitayne » Wed May 27, 2015 8:44 pm

Seemingly randomly, it occurs when I go to a new forum or frankly a new page for that matter. Basically, I'm logged in on one page and when I click to go to a new thread or forum, it loads as me being logged out. It happens pretty often and has been occurring for a while but I thought it might go away on its own. I'm running Windows 7 on Chrome 43.0.2357.81 . Any help in resolving this is appreciated.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Are you switching puppets between using the forum? That will mess with your session.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Aquitayne
Senator

Postby Aquitayne » Wed May 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:Are you switching puppets between using the forum? That will mess with your session.

Nope. The issue never occurs when I switch puppets, as I never do. It also seems to time out if I sit on a page for a long period of time. Another note is that the left-hand sidebar is still there with my nation name, telegrams, dossier and everything as if I was still logged in.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Mousebumples » Wed May 27, 2015 10:02 pm

If you wait a long period of time between loading the page and doing anything, your forum login cookie will expire.

Are you logging in on any other devices or browsers? (I.e. phone and computer both)
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed May 27, 2015 11:03 pm

Aquitayne wrote:It also seems to time out if I sit on a page for a long period of time. Another note is that the left-hand sidebar is still there with my nation name, telegrams, dossier and everything as if I was still logged in.

Define "long". Over an hour? Two? If you're just sitting there, the sidebar won't automatically log you out or anything. It won't react until you move to another page.

You have two "sessions" - a game session, and a forum session. The two are not related except in one very important way: if you visit a game page (your nation page, WA, Region, anything) you will get a refreshed forum session ID / cookie. So one solution would be to refresh your nation page in a separate tab before moving on in the forums. That's what I do - I have tabs open for both game and forum, and I always visit my nation page first. I literally NEVER get logged out of the forum (when I want to be active, that is) that way.

Aquitayne
Senator

Postby Aquitayne » Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 am

"Long" is definitely not anything over 20 minutes, maximum. Understand, I'm not browsing for an hour or so and then getting logged out. This occurs every 5-10 minutes or after I move to too many different pages (seemingly). I'll try your tip on refreshing the gameside before moving about on the forum.

Return to Technical