NATION

PASSWORD

Broken Images Randomly Occurring

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Trelatche
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 29, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Broken Images Randomly Occurring

Postby Trelatche » Sat May 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Occasionally when I'm browsing forum threads or factbooks, images that haven't been moved or deleted from their source, and used to show up, don't. I have to click edit to find the link, open the image on its own in a new tab, close it, come back and refresh the page, and -poof- it returns. Has anyone had this problem before? More info can be given if needed.
Last edited by Trelatche on Sat May 23, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An Independent NationStates News Source :
Read THE MEDIETE JOURNAL -- PART OF UNSMG, UBU & THE INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING GROUP
VISIT TRELATCHE'S BUSINESSES & ORGANIZATIONS AT GLOBAL ECONOMICS & TRADE:
UNITED NATIONSTATES MULTIMEDIA GROUP (OPEN) -- NEWS FEED (OPEN) | MEDIETE STOCK EXCHANGE (OPEN) | TRELATCHE COMPUTING DEVELOPMENT (OPEN)
GLOBAL ECONOMICS & TRADE CENTRAL SECURITY (OPEN) | PEARSON MOTORS (OPEN) | ETV CORPORATION (OPEN)

Trelatche
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Sun May 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Nobody has an idea either?
Read THE MEDIETE JOURNAL -- PART OF UNSMG, UBU & THE INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING GROUP
UNITED NATIONSTATES MULTIMEDIA GROUP (OPEN) -- NEWS FEED (OPEN) | MEDIETE STOCK EXCHANGE (OPEN) | TRELATCHE COMPUTING DEVELOPMENT (OPEN)
GLOBAL ECONOMICS & TRADE CENTRAL SECURITY (OPEN) | PEARSON MOTORS (OPEN) | ETV CORPORATION (OPEN)

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sun May 24, 2015 6:05 pm

What browser and OS are you using?
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Trelatche
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Sun May 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:What browser and OS are you using?

Latest Chrome and Win 8

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun May 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Trelatche wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:What browser and OS are you using?

Latest Chrome and Win 8

Have you tried clearing your cache or force refreshing the cache (Ctrl + F5) of the pages you are having trouble with?

Trelatche
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Sun May 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Have you tried clearing your cache or force refreshing the cache (Ctrl + F5) of the pages you are having trouble with?

Good idea, I haven't done that yet since I found that long-winded fix I mentioned in the OP, but I'll see if that does the trick. It is something on my end, or have there been instances of it happening to other people? Because I've never had this issue elsewhere but here.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon May 25, 2015 5:24 am

If I had to guess, I'd think it might be sure to whatever image host (or, more likely, hotlinked server) a player is using.

Are these the official ns images that aren't loading? Or do you mean stuff other players have posted on the forums?
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Trelatche
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Mon May 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Mousebumples wrote:If I had to guess, I'd think it might be sure to whatever image host (or, more likely, hotlinked server) a player is using.

Are these the official ns images that aren't loading? Or do you mean stuff other players have posted on the forums?

Official images are fine; it's just the pics other people have posted, so I suppose that could be a reason. But the images I found were linked from a variety of places, one of which included Photobucket, which is a pretty large image sharing site that I wouldn't expect an issue with.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Mon May 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Trelatche wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:If I had to guess, I'd think it might be sure to whatever image host (or, more likely, hotlinked server) a player is using.

Official images are fine; it's just the pics other people have posted, so I suppose that could be a reason. But the images I found were linked from a variety of places, one of which included Photobucket, which is a pretty large image sharing site that I wouldn't expect an issue with.

The fact that the official images are fine leads me to believe it's either a problem with your computer, connection, browser, etc., or else the sites in question. If NS images aren't a problem, I don't know that there's anything NS can do to fix it.
Proud Member of UNOG

Trelatche
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Mon May 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Mousebumples wrote:The fact that the official images are fine leads me to believe it's either a problem with your computer, connection, browser, etc., or else the sites in question. If NS images aren't a problem, I don't know that there's anything NS can do to fix it.

I see...
Thanks for the help folks, I'll see if I can work out the issue on my end :p

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Tue May 26, 2015 9:13 am

I've had this issue with Chrome too (Windows 8.1) and sometimes it affects official images like flags too. Again, when I close and reopen the tab, I'm fine.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Trelatche
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:I've had this issue with Chrome too (Windows 8.1) and sometimes it affects official images like flags too. Again, when I close and reopen the tab, I'm fine.

For me, even closing the tab doesn't do it, and it persists for days until I do that "open image in new tab" trick I mentioned. But I'll do some more fiddling around and see if I can find out why this sometimes happens.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Tue May 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Trelatche wrote:
Gregoryisgodistan wrote:I've had this issue with Chrome too (Windows 8.1) and sometimes it affects official images like flags too. Again, when I close and reopen the tab, I'm fine.

For me, even closing the tab doesn't do it, and it persists for days until I do that "open image in new tab" trick I mentioned. But I'll do some more fiddling around and see if I can find out why this sometimes happens.

Have you tried doing a hard refresh?
Proud Member of UNOG

Trelatche
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Trelatche » Tue May 26, 2015 11:46 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Have you tried doing a hard refresh?

I haven't, no... if this issue resurfaces again, I'll give it a try and see what happens then.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical