NATION

PASSWORD

The Almighty NationStates FAQ

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:
1) Yes. Max Barry made them AFAIK.

2) Not without his explicit permission.

Well then, I ask because while browsing through the Google Play Store, I stumbled across an app that had suspiciously familiar icons:
http://i.imgur.com/7QeZiZj.jpg
That's from the app Simcountry:
http://i.imgur.com/PRoEkTe.jpg
Which as you can see has in app purchases and is linked to a website.

I installed that frankly awful app just long enough to confirm the images are used in game. Not all the images match up to NS images, but as you can see, the icon labeled Corporations is an exact copy of the Sector: Manufacturing trophy, the one labeled Finance is the Average Income of the Rich trophy, the one at the bottom that looks like a truck is labeled Transportation but is an exact match for the Black Market trophy and the Population icon is the same as the NS Population trophy.

Coincidence? I think not.

(Although these icons are not significant to the money making part of the app, that is kinda cheap to steal someone else's icons, isn't?)

I think you better report this in Moderation. I feel it would be rather impolite to do it myself, since you found it. But if those images are property of Max Barry and he didn't give permission for their use, he won't be happy to see someone else using them.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Phydios wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:
Well then, I ask because while browsing through the Google Play Store, I stumbled across an app that had suspiciously familiar icons:
http://i.imgur.com/7QeZiZj.jpg
That's from the app Simcountry:
http://i.imgur.com/PRoEkTe.jpg
Which as you can see has in app purchases and is linked to a website.

I installed that frankly awful app just long enough to confirm the images are used in game. Not all the images match up to NS images, but as you can see, the icon labeled Corporations is an exact copy of the Sector: Manufacturing trophy, the one labeled Finance is the Average Income of the Rich trophy, the one at the bottom that looks like a truck is labeled Transportation but is an exact match for the Black Market trophy and the Population icon is the same as the NS Population trophy.

Coincidence? I think not.

(Although these icons are not significant to the money making part of the app, that is kinda cheap to steal someone else's icons, isn't?)

I think you better report this in Moderation. I feel it would be rather impolite to do it myself, since you found it. But if those images are property of Max Barry and he didn't give permission for their use, he won't be happy to see someone else using them.

I considered that, but moderation seemed more of an on site thing rather than offsite.

TBH, there isn't really a place for this. But I'll mention this there, too.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:08 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Phydios wrote:I think you better report this in Moderation. I feel it would be rather impolite to do it myself, since you found it. But if those images are property of Max Barry and he didn't give permission for their use, he won't be happy to see someone else using them.

I considered that, but moderation seemed more of an on site thing rather than offsite.

TBH, there isn't really a place for this. But I'll mention this there, too.

*shrug* I get what you mean, but NS admins will want to hear about this. Posting in Moderation or sending a GHR is the best way to tell them.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Finlarvat
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Finlarvat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:24 am

I'm sure that the April Fool's subsection of the Useful and Rare Links section should be updated with this year's prank, the WA Secretary-General Elections...
AllAboutFinlarvat.fv | FINLARVATIAN ELECTION SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY
"NationStates is a marathon, not a sprint." Nobody has finished, but 188,000 people (inc. 35,000 newbies) are still running.

FBS.fv (FBS Online) Headlines (manned by Christian Entver; as of 6th May 2017, our Foreign Politics Editor is still in unintentional exile in Jankau-Helmutsberg): | BREAKING (20:15 FST, 5 October): President Mattia Hokkinen exiled in City of Tinhampton | OUT-OF-CHARACTER: Finlarvat to stop role-play; will cease to exist immediately | TERRITORY CLAIMS: Finland claim former Finlarvatian territory as their own | REPUBLICAN DEMOCRATS: UPDATES SUSPENDED

Finlarvat Day: 7th August. Next elections: CANCELLED. Timezone: FST (GMT+01:30).
Manned by... Nobody. Well, we have been nuked!

New nation: Tinhampton

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:53 pm

Finlarvat wrote:I'm sure that the April Fool's subsection of the Useful and Rare Links section should be updated with this year's prank, the WA Secretary-General Elections...

adding that to my to-do list
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Honour Guard
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

OpenID

Postby Honour Guard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi, I've been trying to figure out something but either its more complicated than I thought or I am overlooking a simple point. I am trying to change all the customizable features for my nations (Names of leaders, nouns and such for citizens, national animal, etc) but then I encounter a problem to do with the OpenID.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 am

The FAQ has lots of bits and pieces lying about and remaining unfinished - and, after he CTE'd on Sunday, Hobbes can't clear it up. This thread needs a fifth custodian!
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:11 am

Yes, it looks like we might need another.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:43 am

Is it possible to combine telegram tags to just send them to WA nations in Europeia? Would it be something like "tag:wa + tag:europeia"?

EDIT: Nevermind. Can't do this with RO powers.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Tinhampton wrote:The FAQ has lots of bits and pieces lying about and remaining unfinished - and, after he CTE'd on Sunday, Hobbes can't clear it up. This thread needs a fifth custodian!

I had a lot of RL things come up over the last month or two but I'm around. Forgot to set vacation mode.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

he carried on.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:18 am

Hobbesistan wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:The FAQ has lots of bits and pieces lying about and remaining unfinished - and, after he CTE'd on Sunday, Hobbes can't clear it up. This thread needs a fifth custodian!

I had a lot of RL things come up over the last month or two but I'm around. Forgot to set vacation mode.

I've noticed that this FAQ hasn't been edited in over a year, and quite a fair bit of the data is outdated. When do you hope that the FAQ will finally be edited to currentness?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:23 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:I had a lot of RL things come up over the last month or two but I'm around. Forgot to set vacation mode.

I've noticed that this FAQ hasn't been edited in over a year, and quite a fair bit of the data is outdated. When do you hope that the FAQ will finally be edited to currentness?

A general rule of thumb for guides like this is "feel free to post updated segments in the thread, instead of just what segments need updating."
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:I had a lot of RL things come up over the last month or two but I'm around. Forgot to set vacation mode.

See EWS's post. I can't possibly babysit the entire guide for up-to-date-ness so at least provide what sections need updated and preferably update them yourself (credit will be given of course for major edits)
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Skvelsia
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skvelsia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:29 pm

How do i put flags ive saved from flag maker jr or images ive saved onto my computer into a post on my nations factbook? I can add images for my national flag, but I cant seem to add images in posts on factbook, and I see many factbooks with all sorts of cool images on them.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Skvelsia wrote:How do i put flags ive saved from flag maker jr or images ive saved onto my computer into a post on my nations factbook? I can add images for my national flag, but I cant seem to add images in posts on factbook, and I see many factbooks with all sorts of cool images on them.

You must use an image hosting website like Imgur. Then put the direct image link between [img] tags and place it in your factbook.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:31 pm

This bears reporting in a sticky thread:
[violet] wrote:As of now you can use "+" to filter a list of recipients. This removes all recipients added so far who don't meet the filter criteria. It's similar to "-" but in reverse.

It's currently undocumented--let me know how it goes and I'll write it up if it works.

All Lazarus residents who are WA members:
Code: Select all
region:Lazarus, +tag:WA

Same thing: All WA members who are Lazarus residents:
tag:WA, +region:Lazarus

All Lazarus & TRR residents who are WA members:
region:Lazarus, region:The Rejected Realms, +tag:wa

The order is important, since recipients are evaluated from left to right.

E.g. All WA members who are in either Lazarus or TRR as well as everyone in Testregionia regardless of whether they're in the WA or not:
region:Lazarus, region:The Rejected Realms, +tag:wa, region:Testregionia

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:This bears reporting in a sticky thread:
[violet] wrote:As of now you can use "+" to filter a list of recipients. This removes all recipients added so far who don't meet the filter criteria. It's similar to "-" but in reverse.

It's currently undocumented--let me know how it goes and I'll write it up if it works.

All Lazarus residents who are WA members:
region:Lazarus, +tag:WA

Same thing: All WA members who are Lazarus residents:
tag:WA, +region:Lazarus

All Lazarus & TRR residents who are WA members:
region:Lazarus, region:The Rejected Realms, +tag:wa

The order is important, since recipients are evaluated from left to right.

E.g. All WA members who are in either Lazarus or TRR as well as everyone in Testregionia regardless of whether they're in the WA or not:
region:Lazarus, region:The Rejected Realms, +tag:wa, region:Testregionia

I'll add that into the telegram formatting section this weekend, if I forget by Monday i trust one of the people who dilligently follow this thread to bug and poke me about it 'til I actually do it :P
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:29 am

I have a question about the Apocalypse, and how my Nation can try to dodge it. I don't often answer my issues in a timely manner. Yes, I'm a rather lax Emperor, but business before governance, and all that.

I do, however, FREQUENTLY frequent the General threads, because the political discussions of NS is my bread and butter. As such, this will come as both a question and, if needbe, a request:

Do Nations that post on the forums have their Apocalypse timer reset as it is for when you answer issues? If not, is there a way that can be done? This matters especially for myself, as I am oftentimes out to sea for a great deal of time without the bandwidth to hop around between both the issues section and my beloved General.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:33 am

Zakuvia wrote:I have a question about the Apocalypse, and how my Nation can try to dodge it. I don't often answer my issues in a timely manner. Yes, I'm a rather lax Emperor, but business before governance, and all that.

I do, however, FREQUENTLY frequent the General threads, because the political discussions of NS is my bread and butter. As such, this will come as both a question and, if needbe, a request:

Do Nations that post on the forums have their Apocalypse timer reset as it is for when you answer issues? If not, is there a way that can be done? This matters especially for myself, as I am oftentimes out to sea for a great deal of time without the bandwidth to hop around between both the issues section and my beloved General.

Okay, it is logging in, not answering issues etc. that resets the timer. After 7 days of inactivity you stop gaining influence, and 28 days later the apocalypse happens (your nation ceases to exist). If you put it on vacation mode, you don't get new issues but you have 60 days instead from the last login before your nation dies.

I haven't tried logging only into the forums for a month to see if it resets the nation activity timer, but given most people use the game to get onto the forums it hasn't exactly been something that has been an issue.

All you need to do is login once a month and your nation keeps living (unless you break site rules).
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Zakuvia wrote:I have a question about the Apocalypse, and how my Nation can try to dodge it. I don't often answer my issues in a timely manner. Yes, I'm a rather lax Emperor, but business before governance, and all that.

As long as you log into the game the "Apocalypse" (inactivity deletion) is reset. You need to log into the game to access the forums, so you're fine.

I don't think I've answered a issue in over a year.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:39 am

As for logging into only the forums, that actually requires syncing the forum and the game up, so any time you log on here counts as logging on the game itself. I tested it with several different nations in case you're wondering.
See You Space Cowboy...

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:42 am

Flanderlion wrote:

Okay, it is logging in, not answering issues etc. that resets the timer. After 7 days of inactivity you stop gaining influence, and 28 days later the apocalypse happens (your nation ceases to exist). If you put it on vacation mode, you don't get new issues but you have 60 days instead from the last login before your nation dies.

I haven't tried logging only into the forums for a month to see if it resets the nation activity timer, but given most people use the game to get onto the forums it hasn't exactly been something that has been an issue.

All you need to do is login once a month and your nation keeps living (unless you break site rules).

Hobbesistan wrote:
As long as you log into the game the "Apocalypse" (inactivity deletion) is reset. You need to log into the game to access the forums, so you're fine.

I don't think I've answered a issue in over a year.

Thanks all, that takes a load off my mind. See you on the high seas!
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Ndaku
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ndaku » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Do telegram stamps expire when you've purchased Postmaster-General?
'Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.' (II Timothy 4:1-5 NKJV)

Non-denominational Christian. Savopia is my WA puppet nation. Feel free to telegram me!

The Concordians
Civilian

Founded: Mar 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

How can I move my country from the South Pacific to Europe

Postby The Concordians » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Hey everyone! I don't know if this is a stupid question, but can I move my country from the South Pacific to Europe? I imagined my country as an European country but my country was placed in the South Pacific.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical