NATION

PASSWORD

Game inconsistency

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Republic of Star Island
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Game inconsistency

Postby Republic of Star Island » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:13 am

I recently read the latest description of my nation, and there seems to be a major conflict between two bits of the description.

"Murderers frequently escape punishment by claiming they are performing honour killings" and "Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies..."

Shouldn't the "capable police force" be catching these murderers and convicting them? I realize that the "honour killings" may have resulted from the way I handled the issue related to it, but this seems a little out of whack.

Riemstagrad
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Riemstagrad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:23 am

How capable your police force may be, if your laws permit honour killings, the honour killers will not be punished.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:48 am

Nations have been seen with "elections are banned, and voting is compulsory" before now...
:D
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:56 am

I think the point is that these murderers aren't considered to be criminals, because honour killing is a valid legal defence in your country. Some nations have high drug use but low crime levels: this isn't an inconsistency, because in those nations drug use isn't a crime. It works the same for your nation: your issue choices seem to have legalised honour killings, and so the well funded police force won't pursue people who carry out such acts, because they don't consider them to be criminals.

Nidos
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidos » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:27 am

Republic of Star Island wrote:I recently read the latest description of my nation, and there seems to be a major conflict between two bits of the description.

"Murderers frequently escape punishment by claiming they are performing honour killings" and "Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies..."

Shouldn't the "capable police force" be catching these murderers and convicting them? I realize that the "honour killings" may have resulted from the way I handled the issue related to it, but this seems a little out of whack.

Maybe it's saying that the "Capable police force" is catching the murderers but they escape punishment for committing honour killings... just a thought.

-IE

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:33 am

Bears Armed wrote:Nations have been seen with "elections are banned, and voting is compulsory" before now...

Those are what I like to call North Korean elections where there's only one candidate to vote.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:55 am

Valrifell wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Nations have been seen with "elections are banned, and voting is compulsory" before now...

Those are what I like to call North Korean elections where there's only one candidate to vote.

Or Chinese elections.

"Here, you're totally allowed to vote, but only for the one guy that we picked, so there really is no difference."
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

South Jarvis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby South Jarvis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:25 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Or Chinese elections.

"Here, you're totally allowed to vote, but only for the one guy that we picked, so there really is no difference."

Hey, it's not that bad...

'There are a small number of independent candidates for people's congress, particularly in neighborhoods of major cities'

See, progress!

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:59 am

South Jarvis wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:Or Chinese elections.

Hey, it's not that bad...

'There are a small number of independent candidates for people's congress, particularly in neighborhoods of major cities'

See, progress!

Pre-approved by the party, if I remember correctly
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical