NATION

PASSWORD

Currency names

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Currency names

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:24 am

I just recently reset my currency name, and I noticed that to pluralize it, the game just tacks on an "S".

Now, fairly recently-ish, demonyms were changed to allow us to specify the ending we want to use. I'm suggesting that the same is done for currency, allowing us to set our currency ticker, singular name, plural name, etc.

Would it be a good idea, you think?
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:27 am

It sounds nice, but I'm not sure if the developers think it would be worth the effort...
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:34 am

Jute wrote:It sounds nice, but I'm not sure if the developers think it would be worth the effort...

It's a small tweak, surely. All the issues deal with plural currency names already, so just default the display of currencies to the plural the player sets.

The biggest possible change could be an on-site national currency converter, enter the nations you want to convert between, and their currency symbols show up, exchange gets calculated, et cetera.
Btw, here's my IC flag

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 am

Yukonastan wrote:I just recently reset my currency name, and I noticed that to pluralize it, the game just tacks on an "S".

Now, fairly recently-ish, demonyms were changed to allow us to specify the ending we want to use. I'm suggesting that the same is done for currency, allowing us to set our currency ticker, singular name, plural name, etc.

There is a pluralization code. It just happens that most currencies are pluralized with 's'.

For example: the game auto-pluralizes 'real' to 'reais'. Or if you ended your currency with -ch, it'd throw -es on the end instead of -s.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:I just recently reset my currency name, and I noticed that to pluralize it, the game just tacks on an "S".

There is a pluralization code. It just happens that most currencies are pluralized with 's'.

For example: the game auto-pluralizes 'real' to 'reais'. Or if you ended your currency with -ch, it'd throw -es on the end instead of -s.

So it basically always tacks on an S, depending on what's gramatically correct.

For my currency, the Makrane, this would be incorrect. It's pluralized to Makranes, but it need to be Makraner. I'm saying that, since we have our demonyms selectable (instead of just nation name-ian), why not do the same for currencies?
Btw, here's my IC flag

Gunnistannezz
Secretary

Founded: Dec 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gunnistannezz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 am

The automatic pluraliser also automatically turns "lira" into "lire".

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:48 am

There was a change made quiet recently to so that currencies such as the 'jar of honey' would have the 's' added to their first word rather than to their last word.

However it's still turning 'pound sterling' into 'pound sterlings' rather than the correct 'pounds sterling'.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Flamels Stone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Flamels Stone » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:52 am

I think that allowing people choose their own plurals would be easier than a code for every exception.
I agree with OP.
Last edited by Flamels Stone on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador and Prince Kenneth Flamel.
Representing Flamel's Stone in the WA.
[OOC: My nation is not religious, the symbol on the flag is Flamel's Cross representes the presence of alchemy on my contry's history.]
_[' ]_
(-_Q) I'm not a capilatist, I'm just really posh. Tally ho!

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:14 pm

I like the idea of custom currency pluralization. It would be interesting if it was included.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Tiago Silva
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiago Silva » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:40 pm

I support the idea of two custom fields (singular and plural forms) for currency.
There's no need for the (server) overhead of a pluralization tool when it clearly doesn't work for all cases.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical