NATION

PASSWORD

Refactoring (was: Refactor preview)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I don't want that one fixed. It's awesome! A frightening non-existent economy.

Apparently, running your economy according to the principles of anarchism screws up the calculations.

:D

There are also incongruities on the national description (main page), which are amusing to read.

Wow! That is a heck of a nation. I wish I had seen this earlier; it's a great outlier test case.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Bari wrote:Is it possible for me to have access to the formulas used to calculate the numbers found here and here? Thank you.

Which numbers exactly?

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jinwoy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:27 pm

[violet] wrote:
Bari wrote:Is it possible for me to have access to the formulas used to calculate the numbers found here and here? Thank you.

Which numbers exactly?

All of them would be nice
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:What is the nation? It'll be easier for the techies to investigate if they can check into the specific example in question.

I often like keeping my identities somewhat separate, but a few people already know this is my nation.

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=christian_anarchists/detail=economy

It wouldn't be difficult to guess. :p

If attacked, easy target.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Malessere
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Malessere » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:54 am

[violet] wrote:
Malessere wrote:I have a problem my nation Malessere and my nation Arzenejev are in the top 10% for the world for Largest Public Sector (Arzenejev is in the top 10% and malessere is in the top 5%) but in the two nations the tax is "unheard of" if this is correct, ok i don't say nothing, but i think is very strange.

Those trophies are only updated during a World Census. Have those categories run since refactoring?

HUM! Sorry but i don't remember i have too many trophies :oops:
When the refactoring starting i watch what was change, the tax disappear, some industrial category go down, but i read the topic and i see is normal (I admin i don't controll the largest public sector). And 4 days ago appears the notice "was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Public Sector" but now i don't have tax... I think is strange. But i repeat if this is normal and correct for me is OK.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:11 am

Before the refactoring, 'Spirituality' was listed as being amongst the preferences of this nation's leader but with no money (that the survey could see) spent by the government on that subject or on anything else.
After the refactoring, the calculator has viewed the Bears' general preference for small government as enough to over-ride their support for several categories of spending that they did support (from means that the survey wasn't assessing...), including Spirtuality.

Before the re-factoring this nation had a ["deservedly"] high ranking for 'Most Devout', being ranked 5'031st in the world with a 'Paradise-Perdition Likelihood Rating' of 49 on the most recent occasion before today for which I have the data recorded (which was 04th August 2014).
Today, the nation's recalculated ranking for 'Most Devout' was 111'426th in the world, with a 'Paradise-Perdition Likelihood Rating' of -87.
Seriously? That looks like one hell of a drop for the removal of what was supposedly (according to the official stats) non-existent spending!

(Not that I really regard govenment spending on the subject as necessarily llikely to be an accurate measure of a national population's Spirituality on the first paw, though...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bari
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 pm

[violet] wrote:

Which numbers exactly?

I was primarily concerned with main government expenditure, the GDP and the information on income. However, it would be nice to see how the expenditure is divvied up and also to see how the economy's constituents are calculated.
Last edited by Bari on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari
Pour la plus grande gloire de Dieu

The Grendels
Attaché

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Grendels » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:17 am

Massive fluctuations, in world rankings for Wysterians, for a short term comparison between December 15th and now. Galicia-Volhynia, Equus, and Ummagumma were the really strange jumps, back and forth.

Nak nak 1st, Koffee 2nd (+1), the Centauri 3rd (-1), Isla Vista 8th, Sdaeriji 9h (+2), Wulfhelm 11th (+20), Tremalkier 13th (+1), Complete Bastards 14th (-7), the Captain 23rd (+10), the Zocalo 24th (+3).

The Bruce 32nd (+63), Mackintosh 43rd (+5), Grendels 47th (-27), Miratejo 49th (-5), Cosmovania 55th (-27), Marldeep 57th (+2), Dienes 67th, Go Canucks Go 112th (+34), Caphtoria 170th (-20), Wars Forever 198th (+19).

Dub Dizzle 211th (-14), the Comedian 249th (+36), Live to Ride 377th (+65), HotRodia II 389th (+302), Keyser Soze 418th (+163), Ummagumma 454th (from too far back to keep track of), Equus 534th (+780), Zamberdaf 968th (-2), Galicia-Volhynia 1011th (-755), Pelusia 1149th (+85).
Last edited by The Grendels on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In off the moor, down through the mist bands,
God-cursed Grendel came, greedily loping.
The bane of the race of men roamed forth, hunting for a prey."

Beowulf

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Jinwoy wrote:
[violet] wrote:Which numbers exactly?

That's not going to happen. The majority of the measures and their values are kept secret, and deliberately so.

MicroGlup
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby MicroGlup » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:48 pm

I am really p*ssed. Spent years building up my "least devout" score; spent over a year in the 8th least devout slot and finally got up to 7th - stayed there for several months being absolutely consistent in my gameplay to build on my score - and what happens - I drop 25 places overnight!

How on earth can that possibly be correct?

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:25 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Jinwoy wrote:

That's not going to happen. The majority of the measures and their values are kept secret, and deliberately so.

I demand the answers! The FOIA enables me to do so! :p
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:25 pm

MicroGlup wrote:I am really p*ssed. Spent years building up my "least devout" score; spent over a year in the 8th least devout slot and finally got up to 7th - stayed there for several months being absolutely consistent in my gameplay to build on my score - and what happens - I drop 25 places overnight!

How on earth can that possibly be correct?

God finally reached MicroGlup, I guess.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Annakha
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Annakha » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 pm

My tax rate dropped considerably something like 30% to 9%

But I had a pretty robust military before and now it's gone.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:08 pm

The Grendels wrote:Massive fluctuations, in world rankings for Wysterians, for a short term comparison between December 15th and now. Galicia-Volhynia, Equus, and Ummagumma were the really strange jumps, back and forth.

Nak nak 1st, Koffee 2nd (+1), the Centauri 3rd (-1), Isla Vista 8th, Sdaeriji 9h (+2), Wulfhelm 11th (+20), Tremalkier 13th (+1), Complete Bastards 14th (-7), the Captain 23rd (+10), the Zocalo 24th (+3).

The Bruce 32nd (+63), Mackintosh 43rd (+5), Grendels 47th (-27), Miratejo 49th (-5), Cosmovania 55th (-27), Marldeep 57th (+2), Dienes 67th, Go Canucks Go 112th (+34), Caphtoria 170th (-20), Wars Forever 198th (+19).

Dub Dizzle 211th (-14), the Comedian 249th (+36), Live to Ride 377th (+65), HotRodia II 389th (+302), Keyser Soze 418th (+163), Ummagumma 454th (from too far back to keep track of), Equus 534th (+780), Zamberdaf 968th (-2), Galicia-Volhynia 1011th (-755), Pelusia 1149th (+85).

I am interested in feedback from Wysteria, because you guys pay so much attention to this, and track it well. But I'm not sure which World Census scale you're referring to. Also, do you regard the newer rankings as more accurate or less?

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Before the re-factoring this nation had a ["deservedly"] high ranking for 'Most Devout', being ranked 5'031st in the world with a 'Paradise-Perdition Likelihood Rating' of 49 on the most recent occasion before today for which I have the data recorded (which was 04th August 2014).
Today, the nation's recalculated ranking for 'Most Devout' was 111'426th in the world, with a 'Paradise-Perdition Likelihood Rating' of -87.

Mmm, that ranking has problems. I'll fix the most obvious one (ignoring support for New Age and Catholic religions, and opposition to atheism), but there's another bias towards big government I'll have to come back to.

The Grendels
Attaché

Postby The Grendels » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:24 am

[violet] wrote:
The Grendels wrote:Massive fluctuations, in world rankings for Wysterians, for a short term comparison between December 15th and now. Galicia-Volhynia, Equus, and Ummagumma were the really strange jumps, back and forth.

Nak nak 1st, Koffee 2nd (+1), the Centauri 3rd (-1), Isla Vista 8th, Sdaeriji 9h (+2), Wulfhelm 11th (+2), Tremalkier 13th (+1), Complete Bastards 14th (-7), the Captain 23rd (+10), the Zocalo 24th (+3).

I am interested in feedback from Wysteria, because you guys pay so much attention to this, and track it well. But I'm not sure which World Census scale you're referring to. Also, do you regard the newer rankings as more accurate or less?

The numbers +/- above were changes in the world rankings by nations in Wysteria (ranked 1-30 in the region), for the Auto Industry between December 15th to January 30th. Normally, this would have very little fluctuation in world ranks below or near 100, but increasing fluctuations as world rankings extend towards 1000 in the world standings.

A lot of nations don't seem to have been overly impacted, but some have been hit really hard, making me wonder if some have been affected by a bug. The Grendels got savaged pretty badly. I was working my way back up the ranks in the auto industry, but instead dropped 27 ranks in the world standings. For a month and a half of time, you'd expect a 20th ranked nation to go up or down a couple ranks in the world standings, but not down 27, if they're answering issues in favour of that industry. Meanwhile, the Bruce, who go heavy in the auto industry but much less so other industries made a massive jump forward. Jumping forward 63 world ranks in the below 100 range is the equivalent of going up from 1000 to 250 in the world standings. This would normally only occur after a very significant die off of dozens of highly ranked nations.

With Galicia-Volhynia, I would only expect that dramatic a drop in the world standings if they outlawed the automobile industry 5 times during that month and a half. Equus on the other hand hasn't answered issues for many years, but moved up 780 ranks. HotRodia II zipped up the standings after only answering 3 issues in the last 90+ days shown in their national happenings, leapfrogging over up and coming Keyser Soze who have until now been far ahead of them as an up and coming economic monster. That and Ummagumma's huge jump forward were the big aberrations in Wysteria that I tracked.

Note: typo occurred in market report for Wulfhelm. That should read "+2", not "+20" for their advancement in the world rankings during this time gap.
Last edited by The Grendels on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beowulf

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:33 am

[violet] wrote:
Malessere wrote:I have a problem my nation Malessere and my nation Arzenejev are in the top 10% for the world for Largest Public Sector (Arzenejev is in the top 10% and malessere is in the top 5%) but in the two nations the tax is "unheard of" if this is correct, ok i don't say nothing, but i think is very strange.

Those trophies are only updated during a World Census. Have those categories run since refactoring?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have all census rankings appear without repeating one time around, to redo all the census rankings after the refactoring?
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:45 am

Nephmir wrote:
[violet] wrote:Those trophies are only updated during a World Census. Have those categories run since refactoring?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have all census rankings appear without repeating one time around, to redo all the census rankings after the refactoring?

Even as a one-off, I don't like the idea of non-random World Census Reports. The randomness keeps people from gaming the system. Obviously the refactoring is going to cause some major changes in World Census Reports for some nations, but what's the hurry?

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:25 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Nephmir wrote:Perhaps it would be a good idea to have all census rankings appear without repeating one time around, to redo all the census rankings after the refactoring?

Even as a one-off, I don't like the idea of non-random World Census Reports. The randomness keeps people from gaming the system. Obviously the refactoring is going to cause some major changes in World Census Reports for some nations, but what's the hurry?

It can still be random, I meant avoiding duplicating, as in the same census won't show up again until all the other censuses have been randomly cycled through.
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:42 pm

The Grendels wrote:A lot of nations don't seem to have been overly impacted, but some have been hit really hard, making me wonder if some have been affected by a bug. The Grendels got savaged pretty badly. I was working my way back up the ranks in the auto industry, but instead dropped 27 ranks in the world standings. For a month and a half of time, you'd expect a 20th ranked nation to go up or down a couple ranks in the world standings, but not down 27, if they're answering issues in favour of that industry. Meanwhile, the Bruce, who go heavy in the auto industry but much less so other industries made a massive jump forward. Jumping forward 63 world ranks in the below 100 range is the equivalent of going up from 1000 to 250 in the world standings. This would normally only occur after a very significant die off of dozens of highly ranked nations.

The main reason for the change is actually hinted at on nation pages. Compare:

The frighteningly efficient The Grendelsian economy, worth an astonishing 22,900 trillion Golden Bonds a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Uranium Mining, and Book Publishing.

... vs:
The frighteningly efficient The Brucean economy, worth a remarkable 9,227 trillion Kopins a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is quite specialized and led by the Automobile Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing, Information Technology, and Tourism.

When it comes to calculating industry size, the game draws on two main stats: your support for that particular industry, and your support for industry in general. In the Grendels, the latter number is enormous; one of the biggest in the game. In the Bruce, it's actually slightly negative. When it comes to the auto industry specifically, though, it's almost the opposite: the Bruce has an extremely high number, while the Grendels' is nothing special... it's actually your second least-favored, ahead of only Basket Weaving.

What this means is that the Grendels has been passing legislation broadly in favor of industry, but doing no special favors for the auto industry. The Bruce, on the other hand, hasn't been supporting a broad industrial base, but has been consistently favorable to auto in particular.

Before refactoring, these two factors were weighted evenly. After refactoring, less weight is given to the broad stat, and more to the specific one. So the Grendels slides in world rankings while the Bruce rises.

In terms of GDP, which is what I'm thinking of switching the Analysis rankings over to show, the Auto industry comprises about 4% of the Grendels' GDP, and about 28% of the Bruce's. So although the Grendels' GDP is more than twice the size of the Bruce's, the Bruce's auto industry is bigger.

The Grendels
Attaché

Postby The Grendels » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:12 pm

[violet] wrote:When it comes to calculating industry size, the game draws on two main stats: your support for that particular industry, and your support for industry in general. In the Grendels, the latter number is enormous; one of the biggest in the game. In the Bruce, it's actually slightly negative. When it comes to the auto industry specifically, though, it's almost the opposite: the Bruce has an extremely high number, while the Grendels' is nothing special... it's actually your second least-favored, ahead of only Basket Weaving.

I had a screen slip (from upgraded NS issue banners) result in me clicking on the wrong option on one issue, six months ago, undoing over 12 years of dominance in the auto industry. :( >
Last edited by The Grendels on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beowulf

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:21 pm

The Grendels wrote:I had a screen slip (from upgraded NS issue banners) result in me clicking on the wrong option on one issue, six months ago, undoing over 12 years of dominance in the auto industry. :( >

:o

I hear General Motors did something similar.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:56 am

For the first sentence my country is apparently known for ''frequent executions'' and a ''surprisingly youthful workforce.''

Yet I'm not sure how that came about. I don't think I've ever legalised the death penalty or child labor in any Issues.

I've never seen those texts pre-refactor. Do you know what causes them?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Yet I'm not sure how that came about. I don't think I've ever legalised the death penalty or child labor in any Issues.

Interesting. I've checked and it does appear that your nation does not have child labour set as legal.

You do, however, have capital punishment legalised.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:03 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Yet I'm not sure how that came about. I don't think I've ever legalised the death penalty or child labor in any Issues.

Interesting. I've checked and it does appear that your nation does not have child labour set as legal.

You do, however, have capital punishment legalised.

I see...

is it a glitch?

Also, is capital punishment legal by default or can it only be legal because at some point in the past I've answered an issue making it so?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical