NATION

PASSWORD

Master Accounts

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Master Accounts

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:40 pm

As per this:
Frisbeeteria wrote:Really not a Rift question, but I'll answer it anyway. Anyone who wants to continue the conversation, take it to a new thread.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:has it ever been considered to have theme change with all your puppets, not just with that one nation? Is that possible?

The only way that would be possible would be to have a single nation listed as a Master Nation, and all your puppets listed as subsidiaries. We've long thought that was a desirable outcome, but getting there is the problem. The current system treats each nation as an individual player, and changing that to a Parent/Child system would involve rewriting significant portions of the back end.

I'd love to see that, not just for themes and such. You'd be able to do a single sign-on and switch puppets whenever you wanted. It would make modding tons easier, among other things. NS2 did something like that, and despite their other failures it was still a decent idea. It's not a perfect idea - it's possible for a single player to create more than one Master account, kinda defeating the purpose - but for the vast majority of rules-following puppet-using players, it would be a great boon.

Given the amount of rewrite needed, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm making a thread :P

Now, I'll start with a disclaimer - understanding the work needed, I in no way expect this to be anything soon, what with the entire new theme being tweaked and such. Fro my understanding, even in a calm time, it's a massive undertaking.

Having said that, I'd like to see some snowballing of ideas around this. I'll start by mentioning a few pros and cons-

+ Things like postmaster could apply to all nations
+ Building off that, there could be a built in forward-telegrams options. While in some cases, having a separate inbox is nice, there are many cases where it'd be handy to just have message arrive in one place - for example, regions that require an ambassador puppet for an embassy. If they want to get ahold of you, and they message the puppet, it may be a while before you see it
+ Theme changes would carry across all puppets
+ (based on Fris's comments) A built-in puppet switcher might be included (one of the most liked NS++ features, it seems), and the added ease for add-ons might lead to even more cool stuff made by the players
+ Makes noobish/accidental multiing harder. If a player tries to join with two nations under one account, it can remind them that that's not allowed. Again, a player can still create another account - but for example, my puppets come from a loooong span of time, and a few still have a different email than the rest (really should change that some day...) If I forgot I had a WA, and tried to join with one of those, the game would let me - different email, no warning. By tying puppets together, that's gone. One account, one email.

~ Mods /may/ (I'd have to ask one) have an easier time with discipline - from my understanding now, with players' nations treated as individuals, it's easy to post past ban with a puppet. While someone intentionally wishing to post past ban could merely create another master account, the average, rule-abiding player might (not knowing how their controls work, especially with game-side/forum-side differences) be able to prevent people accidentally posting past ban with a puppet.
I say something bad on this nation, then log off. While I'm away, I get a one-day ban. I come back the next morning, log into my RP puppet. Post some. Switch to EWS. Go "oh crap, I got banned." Could get in trouble for posting past ban.

~Might make future changes easier. It's been mentioned several times that this would require major coding changes. I've also heard in several situations mods say basically "that's a good idea, but because of the way the game treats nations, it's not possible." Maybe this would allow other changes for the coming decades of NS to come smoother, and/or require less work.

- People can still create more than one master account
- lowered revenue (if postmaster and such applies in any way to the account as a whole)
- major backend work needed
- further complicates the whole "sharing nations" thing. If you log in to one account to access all nations, then people either share their one account (which would be bad, as any naughtiness causes a lot more damage), or make multiple masters (lowing the effectiveness of the change)
- I'm guessing connecting current accounts together would be even more of a pain in the ass to code then new ones made

I'm sure I've left a lot out, but I've tried to list a few goods, bads, and iffy things. I guess the general ideas are- Do you think it's potentially worth it? What features might you suggest? Do you have any pros or cons to add? Would you find this helpful, or a pain? I'd love to hear from as many as possible - mods/admins of all types, roleplayers, generalities, WA folk, Gameplayers - shoot!

- Ever-Wandering Souls
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:43 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:+ Theme changes would carry across all puppets

I'd prefer "could" rather than "would" there.
I don't know whether I'm the only player who thinks like this, but I actually like the idea of using differing theme for some nations -- 'Antique' for some of my oldest nations, 'Conservative' for at least some of my nations in Conservative-ideology regions and some of their colonies, 'Dark' for certain "dark" nations (undead, 'vampire daleks', whatever...), and so on -- and the membership of those groups might not align neatly with the pattern of master-accounts & linked puppets that I'd otherwise consider appropriate.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Risen Jaguar Warriors
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Risen Jaguar Warriors » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:47 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:**SNIPPITY**

**SNIPPITY**

How do we stop that...? Because that is a MAJOR problem...
⇦ Keep to the left
100% Raiderist Сюнна 20% Defenderist

My puppet-juggling skills are like a drinking straw... meaning they suck...
I am a girl

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:31 am

Bears Armed wrote:

I don't know whether I'm the only player who thinks like this, but I actually like the idea of using differing theme for some nations -- 'Antique' for some of my oldest nations, 'Conservative' for at least some of my nations in Conservative-ideology regions and some of their colonies, 'Dark' for certain "dark" nations (undead, 'vampire daleks', whatever...), and so on -- and the membership of those groups might not align neatly with the pattern of master-accounts & linked puppets that I'd otherwise consider appropriate.

I also use different themes for my puppets. My main is on dark, the rest on default. This is so that I can never accidentally post with a puppet. I also have the normal sidebar on my puppets rather than the top bar on my main.

Of course, this was pre-modification. Now I also know that I'm not on my main because of the lack of shiny buttons :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:56 am

~ Mods /may/ (I'd have to ask one) have an easier time with discipline - from my understanding now, with players' nations treated as individuals, it's easy to post past ban with a puppet. While someone intentionally wishing to post past ban could merely create another master account, the average, rule-abiding player might (not knowing how their controls work, especially with game-side/forum-side differences) be able to prevent people accidentally posting past ban with a puppet.

I actually ran into an issue a week or two ago, where I was banning a player because of a post with a puppet. They weren't online with the puppet anymore - they'd switched back to their main - and to prevent the player from inadvertently posting past ban, I ended up banning both nations - with a note on the main account that the ban was because of the actions of [Puppet-A]. I can't speak for other mods, but I think it would be handy in that regard, at least.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 am

Bears Armed wrote:

The Blaatschapen wrote:I also use different themes for my puppets. My main is on dark, the rest on default. This is so that I can never accidentally post with a puppet. I also have the normal sidebar on my puppets rather than the top bar on my main.

Of course, this was pre-modification. Now I also know that I'm not on my main because of the lack of shiny buttons :p

Could be done with a checkbox in settings - your standard "Apply to all?" option, perhaps.

The Risen Jaguar Warriors wrote:

**SNIPPITY**

With today's technology, I don't think it's really possible to. But I imagine we'd see a lot less of it, because the main reasons to have another seperate account is to intentionally break the rules, or to share access.

I thought of something else - it'd also be a big bonus to puppet management - you only have to log into the general master account once every X days, not every single nation. I know with my tagging puppets, and sometimes the ambassadors, I'll miss or accidentally delete a CTE warning email, and lose it (then have to go revive it, sometimes redo the settings, figure out where it was..and so forth)

Mousebumples wrote:

I actually ran into an issue a week or two ago, where I was banning a player because of a post with a puppet. They weren't online with the puppet anymore - they'd switched back to their main - and to prevent the player from inadvertently posting past ban, I ended up banning both nations - with a note on the main account that the ban was because of the actions of [Puppet-A]. I can't speak for other mods, but I think it would be handy in that regard, at least.

A perfect example of the kind of situation I was imagining :)
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 am

The Risen Jaguar Warriors wrote:

**SNIPPITY**

If a goal is to prevent trolling and puppet-wankery, I'd say it's a crippling problem for that.

Otherwise, I'm neutral on the idea. I won't oppose it if it happens, but neither do I see if offering major advantages otherwise. I think merging some NS++ features (puppet-switching) into the NS server code were already on [violet]'s to-do list anyway.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 pm

I think this depends on how the makers want the game to be run. If they want people to control thousands of puppets with only one master pulling the strings I imagine a log in system of one means all have been active. Personally I dislike the idea as it is false inflation of the player base.
At the end of the day do we want a game that has 10-20 active players with 1000000 nations? I believe it is the wrong way to go and encourages an auto game rather than a real one. If you just want an army of switchers then that option is available right now with little work needed unless you intend to maintain the disposables created for invading.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Sichuan Pepper wrote:I think this depends on how the makers want the game to be run. If they want people to control thousands of puppets with only one master pulling the strings I imagine a log in system of one means all have been active. Personally I dislike the idea as it is false inflation of the player base.
At the end of the day do we want a game that has 10-20 active players with 1000000 nations? I believe it is the wrong way to go and encourages an auto game rather than a real one. If you just want an army of switchers then that option is available right now with little work needed unless you intend to maintain the disposables created for invading.

I'm of the opinion that people will always have puppets, for a wide variety of reasons, and this merely makes them easier to organize for both the players and the mods in the majority of cases. I also think the only people with thousands will still be those who try to make puppet dumps with larger populations than GCR's :P

I mean, you might see a few more puppets if they're easier to maintain, but for the most part I think most players will not have significantly more than they have now.

Thank you for the input :)

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical