NATION

PASSWORD

Mobile Site: A Few Suggestions

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Bari
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Mobile Site: A Few Suggestions

Postby Bari » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:32 pm

If these belong elsewhere, I'm sorry. I didn't know where else to put them. They deal mostly with the mobile version of NS.

http://i.imgur.com/VIwnJB2.png - There is an advertisement down at the bottom, and I'm a Site Supporter. I hope that doesn't come off as whiny. I'm on Safari. It can be seen in not only Rift but also in Mobile. The ads seem to be present in these three pages: Here, here and here.

If we look here and then here, we see a slight cosmetic difference in the boxes detailing the Category, Civil Rights, Economy and Political Freedoms of each nation. In my main nation, the section titles are bolded and in a larger size, whereas in the other picture (and this occurs in every nation's page) the size is much smaller, giving it an odd look. I feel they should be the same size. If you don't know what I'm talking about, tell me, and I can circle it in red or something for you.

In here, the name of that graph, in the blue, is cut off on the edges.

This graph is disproportionately small compared to all the open space. In addition, some of it is cut off, and you can't scroll over to see it or anything, so there isn't, as far as I know, a solution.

Up in the top right corner of this page is the flag counter device and the time stamp. They overlap and make reading difficult.

That's all I have for now.
Last edited by Bari on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari
Pour la plus grande gloire de Dieu

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 pm

This was posted in the Rift thread, however, I feel it is better fitted here (even though this doesn't apply to Mobile):

"Secondly, (though this is not specific to this particular theme), directly below the above-written, it is written, "NationStates by Max Barry author of Lexicon." I understand that this lists the name of the Site and the creator of it; nevertheless, it is an advertisement, and it is being applied to Supporters who are told they would enjoy an advertisement-free Site. In respect to whether it is actually an advertisement, it is. Its most defining feature is the word "Lexicon," the name of a book, and a symbol associated with that book. It is also a link that, when clicked, leads the user to here, a Website for that same book and also gives four links to Sites where the book may be purchased. It is undeniably an advertisement. Whether or not that advertisement should be there is a separate issue. Personally, I believe it shouldn't be (at least for Supporters), seeing how they have paid the price in money for advertisements to be removed. To fix that, I believe solely the content of the advertisement should be removed, meaning the "author of Lexicon" segment and the associated icon, and the link should lead to, perhaps, the main page of Max Barry's personal Website, but not the book's page. While NationStates.com is Max Barry's own Site, a transaction was made, and that agreement should be honored. However, if he insists it stays, then it stays, but we can work with it. The advertisement constitutes a sizable chunk of the page, and it is also out of place in that particular location; however, it can be ameliorated. My first suggestion would be to make the advertisement smaller: remove the icon and the stylized font for "Lexicon," using, instead, a standard font and thereby making the advertisement smaller. However, if it must stay the same size, then I suggest relocating the advertisement because it clutters that area on the page; it has been surrounded by information for the nation, yet right in the middle, there is an advertisement. It can be moved to below the "Latest Forum Topics" section, to the bottom of the page or elsewhere. Ideally, however, the advertisement would be removed."

Edit: I suppose I should give you some type of reference. If what I'm talking about is unclear, I can give further clarification.
http://i.imgur.com/XsjPFWj.png?1
Last edited by Bari on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:12 pm

As far as ads go, are you sure you have No Advertisements checked off in the nation settings?

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Bari wrote:http://i.imgur.com/VIwnJB2.png - There is an advertisement down at the bottom

Gahh! Thank you for pointing that out. I had to put an ad somewhere temporarily for Google to test, so I tucked it away there. Then I forgot about it. Removed.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:20 pm

That is great feedback, Bari, thanks. I will get onto that.

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 am

You're welcome.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Additionally, there is this. The box concerning anchors has some text exceeding its bounds. That is in this dispatch on Mobile.
Last edited by Bari on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical